IGNORED

2007 R1200 RT bad noise

Shane J.

Shane J.

I was fixing my clutch so I had the bike up on the center-stand to test the clutch. I noticed a wobble in my rear wheel and a strange noise. I don't recall the last time I ran the bike on the center-stand, but I have done that. I would have noticed this noise if it had been there so I am pretty sure it is a relatively new thing. Please watch the video and let me know if you have any insights.

Thank you

PS, yes it is filthy. I hadn't cleaned yet after a two week ride. Much cleaner now, same issues.

Camhead64

I don't know what your listening to in your video. You don't say what "fixing the clutch" meant, so I'm assuming the bikes been apart? Both my '11 and '21 sound like "all hells breaking loose" when run on the center stand. If you place your hands at 12 and 6 and 3 and 9, can you rock the rear wheel more than a mm or so? Is there any noise off the center stand riding the bike? 

dirtrider

I was fixing my clutch so I had the bike up on the center-stand to test the clutch. I noticed a wobble in my rear wheel and a strange noise. I don't recall the last time I ran the bike on the center-stand, but I have done that. I would have noticed this noise if it had been there so I am pretty sure it is a relatively new thing. Please watch the video and let me know if you have any insights.

Thank you

PS, yes it is filthy. I hadn't cleaned yet after a two week ride. Much cleaner now, same issues.

Morning Shane

That noise is pretty normal on the hexhead when running in gear at idle with the rear wheel off the ground.  That noise is due to the extreme drive shaft U joint angles at full suspension droop coupled with no load on the rear wheel then driven by the very harsh idle firing pulses of the BMW big-piston boxer engine. 

It doesn't mean that you don't have a problem but that rattle & jerkiness is pretty normal. 

On a cold final drive, just grab the wheel at 3: o'clock & 9: o'clock , then give it a push/pull wiggle. The movement measured at the wheel rim should be under 1mm.

Then repeat by grabbing the rear wheel at 12: o'clock & 6: o'clock , then give it a push/pull wiggle. The movement measured at the wheel rim should be under 1mm. 

If you have more than 1mm of movement at the rim then you need to dig in farther to determine IF the movement is ALL in the final drive, or part of it is in the final drive to swing arm pivot bearings. You do that by setting up a dial indicator to measure ACTUAL wheel rim movement in relation to the final drive housing or brake caliper bracket. 

You can run the motorcycle in gear with the rear wheel off the ground if you hold the clutch engagement point to just starting to drive the wheel but not totally engaged. (sort of turns the very slightly slipping clutch into a driveline damper) 

Or, dragging the rear brake with the rear wheel spinning under engine power usually calms that noise down.

If you have final drive issues you can sometimes feel that in the riders foot pegs as a growl or bearing type roughness  by riding at a crawl speed on a very smooth surface. Or better yet get up to about 10 mph then pull the clutch lever in & kill the engine then coast back down to a stop.  

• Like 1
Shane J.
6 hours ago, Camhead64 said:

I don't know what your listening to in your video. You don't say what "fixing the clutch" meant, so I'm assuming the bikes been apart? Both my '11 and '21 sound like "all hells breaking loose" when run on the center stand. If you place your hands at 12 and 6 and 3 and 9, can you rock the rear wheel more than a mm or so? Is there any noise off the center stand riding the bike? 

Sorry, my topic before this was about my clutch issue, which was solved by changing the fluid. Good to know that you think the sound is normal.

Shane J.

Thank you for the reassuring information D.R., I will do that check and if it passes then I will just install my new tires and ride.

dduelin

Only half joking I have learned to wear ear plugs whenever riding my bike or idling it in gear on center stand. I have had 2, 4, and 6 cylinder shaft drive bikes and to varying degrees they all make some unhealthy-sounding noises when idling in gear due to power pulses loading and unloading the accumulated drive line gear and spline lash.

• Like 1