IGNORED

Sept. 2024, LA to Vancouver Is.

Groanup

I'm planning a ride up the coast this September, to visit my brother on Vancouver Island. I've got the first leg figured out, and the second day I plan on stopping in Bodega Bay to check out The Birds Cafe. It's the only "touristy" place I've planned on so far. I have not yet been further north than Fortuna, so I'm looking for things/places to see. The trip home goes through Torrey.

I'm taking 5 days to get to Courtenay BC, so don't have time for big detours, Maybe an hour or two though.

Also, I've never been on a ferry, with either a car or motorcycle so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

So, wadda ya got?

Bluenoser
20 hours ago, Groanup said:

I'm planning a ride up the coast this September, to visit my brother on Vancouver Island. I've got the first leg figured out, and the second day I plan on stopping in Bodega Bay to check out The Birds Cafe. It's the only "touristy" place I've planned on so far. I have not yet been further north than Fortuna, so I'm looking for things/places to see. The trip home goes through Torrey.

I'm taking 5 days to get to Courtenay BC, nice, so don't have time for big detours, Maybe an hour or two though.o, I've never been on a ferry, with either a car or motorcycle so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

So, wadda ya got?

Hey Groanup. I lived on Vancouver Island for 12 years, posted to Comox with the Air Force. Left 24 years ago but don't think it's changed too much.

Victoria is a nice place to spend a day or two, nice old architecture, nice harbor right down town, British history.

Well worth going out to Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park. The route out takes you thru old growth Red Cedar and Douglas Fir, amazing. Tofino is quite small, lots of native artwork and culture. The Park has beautiful long deserted beaches. There's a short passenger only boat ride from Tofino to Meares Island, Meares is all old growth, managed by natives, very cool walking trails, takes pretty much a day altogether. You pass thru Port Alberni on the way to Tofino. Out of Port Alberni there's a resupply boat that goes out each day to resupply water only access villages and floating houses up the east coast, they take passengers along for the ride, it's cool.

There's a short ferry to Denmin and Hornby Island, before you get to Courtenay. You'll find tie dye and VW microbuses in abundance. There's nice beaches on Hornby.

Not much worth seeing north of Campbell River other than wilderness that has all been logged. They still catch monster Chinook salmon at Campbell River.

Watch out for LEO in the Comox Valley, they enforce speed limits closely throughout the island but its worst near Comox.

I highly recommend taking the ferry over to Powell River from Comox and come down the Sunshine Coast, past Whistler, back to Vancouver. Very scenic. It does involve a couple smaller ferries.

The BC Ferry system is very motorcycle friendly from what I recall. You're loaded first and they don't croud you in, hope it's still like that.

I hope you have time to see it all. You'll love it.

• Like 1
Etienne Lau

That time of year is rain and rain. So gear appropriately. It's a typical West Coast drizzle.

Bluenoser
2 hours ago, Etienne Lau said:

That time of year is rain and rain. So gear appropriately. It's a typical West Coast drizzle.

It could be either or in September, the daily drizzle usually begins later on in October. You're right though, good rain gear's a must.

• Plus 1 1
Groanup
3 hours ago, Etienne Lau said:

I appreciate the info!

I expect rain at all times of the year in the PNW, as well as wet n fog all the way up the coast, but maybe I'll get lucky. I will be prepared for it either way. 

This is my first solo "Big Adventure" since retiring, so I'm determined not to let a little water bother me.

• Plus 1 1
Etienne Lau
44 minutes ago, Groanup said:

I appreciate the info!

I expect rain at all times of the year in the PNW, as well as wet n fog all the way up the coast, but maybe I'll get lucky. I will be prepared for it either way. 

This is my first solo "Big Adventure" since retiring, so I'm determined not to let a little water bother me.

Wish I was going with you, so I can go visit my sisters' in Vancouver, BC.

szurszewski

If you go literally up the coast you'll be an hour or so away from our door, but if you come up the other side of WA 101 on the Sound you'll be within yards of us - either way, if you need anything, let me know - garage and trailer and tools and all that if needed; unfortunately no spare bedroom currently. 

I really like Luna Sea in Yachats (Oregon) - they fish their own boat and cook up the catch (along with other stuff) daily; hard to beat/get fresher fish than that.

South of that - just north of your future-former-furthest-north - Samoa Cookhouse by Eureka is a really interesting stop, but they closed for renovations last spring and I haven't seen any word on when/if they're opening back up - maybe worth a quick google in August to see what's going on?

There's a very not paved and probably not a good idea on street tires on an RT if it's wet one-way-quasi-loop you can do through Jedediah Smith Park that starts just south of Crescent City and dumps you back out near the highway right by town - great big trees along the road, and a quick park and walking into Stout Grove will put you at the base of some even bigger ones. I try to drive/ride it everytime I go through there. 

If you have time, a ride up Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park is more than worth if for the views.

• Like 1