IGNORED

Help Adjusting The Idle RPMs On My ''98 R1100RT

RK Ryder

RK Ryder

Today I am having a senior moment. First I’ll state that yes, I do know how to do a throttle body syn. However it is the rpm idle procedure which is drawing a blank. It’s been a while since I’ve done this.

The bike was away for the winter and the mechanic (took the engine case apart to reseal it to eliminate the bike’s oil leak), as well as a few other items, of which one was a throttle body sync. The bike runs very well at speed. However, the rpm idle is a bit below a 1000rpms and frequently stalls at stops. I realize that after riding the bike to reach operating temperature, I  need to turn the Big Brass Screws all the way in and then turn each back out to one and a half turns. The Harmonizer will be hooked up to the bike.

So after I fire up the bike, do I adjust the Harmonizer on the right BBS to zero by turning the right BBS and then repeat on the left side. Am I correct in assuming that I keep adjusting the two BBS to zero going back from the left and right BBSs until I have idle rpms at 1050 or 1100? Also I am correct in assuming that the throttle bodies can be left alone as other than at idle, the bike runs well?

Unfortunately You Tube videos are only showing me the throttle body syn, not setting the idle.

Obviously I am missing the obvious.

Your advice is appreciated.

Paul

dirtrider
15 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

Today I am having a senior moment. First I’ll state that yes, I do know how to do a throttle body syn. However it is the rpm idle procedure which is drawing a blank. It’s been a while since I’ve done this.

The bike was away for the winter and the mechanic (took the engine case apart to reseal it to eliminate the bike’s oil leak), as well as a few other items, of which one was a throttle body sync. The bike runs very well at speed. However, the rpm idle is a bit below a 1000rpms and frequently stalls at stops. I realize that after riding the bike to reach operating temperature, I  need to turn the Big Brass Screws all the way in and then turn each back out to one and a half turns. The Harmonizer will be hooked up to the bike.

So after I fire up the bike, do I adjust the Harmonizer on the right BBS to zero by turning the right BBS and then repeat on the left side. Am I correct in assuming that I keep adjusting the two BBS to zero going back from the left and right BBSs until I have idle rpms at 1050 or 1100? Also I am correct in assuming that the throttle bodies can be left alone as other than at idle, the bike runs well?

Unfortunately You Tube videos are only showing me the throttle body syn, not setting the idle.

Obviously I am missing the obvious.

Your advice is appreciated.

Paul

Evening Paul

Start by removing then cleaning the BBS screws & the air passage under the screws with o2 sensor safe carb cleaner. 

Then screw the BBS screws all the way back in to lightly seat.

Then back each BBS screw out 1-1/2 turns.  

Then warm the engine (or ride the motorcycle until warm), if idling in place then use a fan to blow air on the engine. 

Then check the idle RPM & check the cross side balance. If the idle balance is close but still too low then open each side BBS screw equally on each side in  1/4 turn increments until you get your desired idle RPM.  

If the idle balance is not even then make it even using the BBS screws until it is, then move both side BBS screws equally either in or out until the idle RPM is correct.

Turning the BBS screws OUT increases idle air flow & increases idle RPM. 

Turning the BBS screws IN decreases idle air flow & decreases idle RPM.

RK Ryder

Thank you Dirtrider!

As you may have gathered, I am not a naturally gifted wrench. 😂

Jim Moore

As an aside, I prefer my idle at 1200-1300. I think it comes off idle easier that way.

RK Ryder

I had planned on adjusting the idle speed this morning, but alas, life got in the way.Since I really had not ridden my Oilhead very much in the past couple of years, yesterday I pulled out my Jim V.B DVD to review the procedure. When he mentioned adjusting the BBS on the left side, that created my confusion as I had no memory of having done that in the past (Only remembered doing the right side.)

This morning (before life interfered) I did the right side BBS turning to close, cleaned it and set it to one & a half turns out. When I moved over to the left side, i understood why I had no memory of adjusting in the past; my ‘98 R1100RT does not have a left side BBS! 🤭

When did these models get the dual BBSs? 🤷‍♂️

Tomorrow I will ride and bring the bike home to set the idle.

Thank you to Dirtrider and Jim Moore for their help. 👍

Paul

Michaelr11
5 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

understood why I had no memory of adjusting in the past; my ‘98 R1100RT does not have a left side BBS! 🤭

I have a 2001 1100RT, and previously had a 1996 1100RT. Both of them have the BBS on both of the throttle bodies. I’m mystified by your comment.  A photo could be helpful.

RK Ryder
34 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

I have a 2001 1100RT, and previously had a 1996 1100RT. Both of them have the BBS on both of the throttle bodies. I’m mystified by your comment.  A photo could be helpful.

My eyesight is not what it used to be. Please point out the LS BBS. I am assuming it should look identical to the one on the right side.

IMG_20240704_193836101_MP.jpg

IMG_20240704_193607132.jpg

Joe Coastie

Between the Allen head screw below the injector and the Allen head screw holding the the black tps box.

• Like 1
Michaelr11
3 minutes ago, Joe Coastie said:

Between the Allen head screw below the injector and the Allen head screw holding the the black tps box.

Yep.  Joe beat me to it.

RK Ryder

🤭 THANK You! 👍

Despite looking, looking and looking, I could not see that left BBS. (My wife is always tell me that I am blind to the obvious. 😱

Well with help from Joe, Michael, Jim and Dirtrider, tomorrow’s rpm idle will better than past endeavours. 

Thanks to all.

Paul 

King Herald
8 hours ago, RK Ryder said:

🤭 THANK You! 👍

Despite looking, looking and looking, I could not see that left BBS. (My wife is always tell me that I am blind to the obvious. 😱

Well with help from Joe, Michael, Jim and Dirtrider, tomorrow’s rpm idle will better than past endeavours. 

Thanks to all.

Paul 

Inattentional blindness. Your brain knows what it is looking for, yet for some reason it refuses to recognise the item, just deletes it from your perception.

Same when you’re looking for that 10mm wrench you had right there in front of you 2 minutes ago, you know it’s on the bench, it can’t have got up and walked off….but you can’t find it. Then it suddenly reappears. 

Joe Coastie
4 hours ago, King Herald said:

Inattentional blindness. Your brain knows what it is looking for, yet for some reason it refuses to recognise the item, just deletes it from your perception.

Same when you’re looking for that 10mm wrench you had right there in front of you 2 minutes ago, you know it’s on the bench, it can’t have got up and walked off….but you can’t find it. Then it suddenly reappears. 

And here I thought the frigging sockets, wrenches, and other things just said" I'm gonna go hide in the ozone for a bit just to mess with this guy"

Glad to know there's a scientific explanation for losing crap in plain sight.

RK Ryder
7 hours ago, King Herald said:

So that is why when using a number of tools, I place them on a moving cart beside the bike and that 10mm wrench still vanishes!

Thank you for your explanation and understanding of my all too frequent confusion.😁

Paul