IGNORED

Silly question about new headlight bulb

lukaspriest

lukaspriest

I just recently ordered a new headlight bulb for my R1100RS. I ordered a 12v 60/55w Philips MotoVision bulb (9003, H4), but for some reason, Amazon sent me one that says 12.8v 67/60.5w on the box.  But here's the thing - I think it may just be an error on the packaging.  The packaging says 12.8v 67/60.5w, but the actual bulb itself is inscribed with 12v 60/55w.  I'm not 100% confident which figure to go by, though I'm much more inclined to trust the actual bulb itself as opposed to the package it came in.

Here's a link to the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077DB54QF?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Is it safe for me to install this thing in my bike?  If the voltage/wattage is wrong, do I run the risk of damage to my wiring or lamp enclosure?  Or any other negative consequences?  I know very little about electrical matters.

I don't think I want to mess around with an LED bulb (my mechanic tells me that the reflector in the housing won't play nice with an LED bulb) and I'd like to stick with halogen as the bike was originally made to accommodate, but I'm open to any advice or recommendations from you wonderful folks.

Thank you kindly!

Brodiepunker18

Personally I’d follow the bulb, probably a mistake on the packaging.

and I bought my 99 R1100RT in 2021 with an led bulb in stock housing. I have no issues, before I messed with it I thought it was halogen until I saw the heatsink on the back. I had no idea. and I couldn’t tell you what it is because I’ve never touched it. :4322:

• Like 1
RadioFlyer

The difference is inconsequential to the bike's electrics.

• Like 1
Miguel!

If LED is an option for you... I switched to a Cyclops 10000 lumen LED bulb in my headlight 5-ish years ago. Plug-n-play. Been on my R1000RT for 21k miles. No problem with beam pattern. Bright white, not blue. Does have a fan. Both hi and low beam consume 35 Watts, so about 1/2 the incandescent H4 bulb. Installation was easy. There is a drive unit that I zip tied to a  frame member that I think holds up the front fairing. You'll see the drive unit in the photo below, just below the left turn signal indicator; bars are turned full left to get the photo. It's been installed for 5.5 years, 21,000 miles. Hope that helps. Miguel

IMG_2567.thumb.jpeg.0483d84236bf6c112439893c5fc3490c.jpegIMG_2568.thumb.jpeg.f08c5503aedee7561139caa837fefea8.jpegIMG_2569.thumb.jpeg.782ccc14f7e437c2653486a3dcd2e339.jpeg

• Like 1
dirtrider
10 hours ago, lukaspriest said:

I just recently ordered a new headlight bulb for my R1100RS. I ordered a 12v 60/55w Philips MotoVision bulb (9003, H4), but for some reason, Amazon sent me one that says 12.8v 67/60.5w on the box.  But here's the thing - I think it may just be an error on the packaging.  The packaging says 12.8v 67/60.5w, but the actual bulb itself is inscribed with 12v 60/55w.  I'm not 100% confident which figure to go by, though I'm much more inclined to trust the actual bulb itself as opposed to the package it came in.

Here's a link to the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077DB54QF?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Is it safe for me to install this thing in my bike?  If the voltage/wattage is wrong, do I run the risk of damage to my wiring or lamp enclosure?  Or any other negative consequences?  I know very little about electrical matters.

I don't think I want to mess around with an LED bulb (my mechanic tells me that the reflector in the housing won't play nice with an LED bulb) and I'd like to stick with halogen as the bike was originally made to accommodate, but I'm open to any advice or recommendations from you wonderful folks.

Thank you kindly!

Morning lukaspriest

Yes, it's safe to install. Your motorcycle electrical system actually operates at over 13.0 volts while running so the bulb is fine at a 12.8v rating. Your alternator actually charges in the mid to high 13 volt range but there is some voltage drop between the battery & the headlight bulb. 

I'm not sure why the package says 12.8v 67/60.5w but assuming a legitimate (not a knockoff) bulb then it is probably a marketing thing to make buyers think it is brighter than it's competition. 

• Like 1