IGNORED

1150 Rockster Fuel pump inoperative

Mike Coleman

Mike Coleman

Good day folks,

I went out to the garage today and when I turned the key on my '04 R1150 Rockster there was no fuel pump noise. I checked the fuses and they looked good, is there a fuel pump relay or separate fuse? Needless to say the engine does not run, it cranks but no start. 

Best Regards;

Mike Coleman

North Lancaster, Ontario

Jim Moore

Easy stuff first. Is the sidestand up? In Neutral? Green neutral light? Clutch in? Kill switch? 

Michaelr11
28 minutes ago, Mike Coleman said:

checked the fuses and they looked good, is there a fuel pump relay or separate fuse?

Looked good isn’t good enough.  Check the fuse with a test light or multimeter.  Yes, there is also a fuel pump relay.  You can swap it with the horn relay to check.  It’s possible that the pump has just quit.  Any work done recently?

dirtrider
12 hours ago, Mike Coleman said:

Good day folks,

I went out to the garage today and when I turned the key on my '04 R1150 Rockster there was no fuel pump noise. I checked the fuses and they looked good, is there a fuel pump relay or separate fuse? Needless to say the engine does not run, it cranks but no start. 

Best Regards;

Mike Coleman

North Lancaster, Ontario

Morning Mike

The 1150 Rockster is a bit of an outlier on the electrics but it tests about the same as the other 1150 boxer bikes.

You need to positively verify that fuse #6 & fuse #5 is good.  If it cranks then your kill switch is OK, cranking also verifies that either your neutral switch or clutch switch is working (one or the other is needed to crank).

You can spend time & effort checking circuits, fuses, relays, etc  but the easy button is (with side stand UP) to use a 12v test light or DC voltmeter to see if the green wire going to one of the fuel injectors has 12v for a couple of seconds at key ON, then has full time 12v during engine cranking. If it does then your Fuses, System Switches, Motronic relay & Fuel Pump relay are working correctly. 

If the green wire at a fuel injector doesn't have  12v for a couple of seconds at key ON, then have full time 12v during engine cranking you can then you can go after the fuses, relays, side stand switch, or open circuit. 

Mike Coleman

Hello Folks; 

To be honest ,  I screwed up. The side stand was down ! I read Jim's comments and thought 'oh no' . I retracted the stand, turned the key,  the bike hummed as required and it fired right up!  I could almost hear it mutter in German HAH, I fooled you ! I have been riding and wrenching on them for over 60 years. Enough  said,  Thank you. 

Best Regards;

Mike Coleman

North Lancaster, Ontario

• Like 2