IGNORED

Tire Inflator?

Paddler

So we have 3 choices, and all 3 cost basically the same shipped (in the US). I liked the MotoPressor V2 the best, so will probably get that one. And I'd leave the alligator clips at home, but need to change the SAE pigtail's fuse to 10 or 15A, to avoid blowing it. I think they come with a 3 or 5A for the smart chargers, which would probably blow with either of the 2 corded pumps.

• Like 1
Paddler
1 hour ago, JCtx said:

So we have 3 choices, and all 3 cost basically the same shipped (in the US). I liked the MotoPressor V2 the best, so will probably get that one. And I'd leave the alligator clips at home, but need to change the SAE pigtail's fuse to 10 or 15A, to avoid blowing it. I think they come with a 3 or 5A for the smart chargers, which would probably blow with either of the 2 corded pumps.

Let us know how you like it.  Wish we could test it side by side with the Motopump. 

My pigtail doesn't have an inline fuse.

here's an amusing video:

mc68386

Hi folks first post here (have been lurking) but I wanted to chime in.

You can spare your fuses with these compressors by starting the compressor while unconnected then once it's going, screw it to the tire.

That prevents the current spike of the compressor starting up and fighting against any pressure in the tire at the same time.

I need to write an intro post sometime. :4607:

• Like 2
Scotto336

As mentioned previously,  CO2 cartridges work well,  don't drain your battery, take up little space and are very cheap.  They should be on your menu.  Regarding plugs, I had a mushroom plug work very well...for about 5 miles.  Then it leaked.  And yes, it was installed correctly with the proper tool.  YouTube  review of various plugs concluded the same.   Ropes for me.  Cheaper and don't leak when installed correctly.  I have found the reamers to be a bit lame.  I use a drill bit with small vise grips that are always with me.  Works great.

strataj

I haven't used CO2 cartridges in 20 years.  I don't remember them getting the tire pressure much above 20 something psi.  Maybe I didn't use enough of them I don't know but they did get enough air in the tire to make it to a gas station.   I too like ropes with rubber cement.  

• Like 1
Scotto336

It just seems to me with all the very small portable inflators that easily plug into the bike's power and never need attention (cartridges, recharging, etc) why fuss with other products. That's just my perspective where I like to keep things as simple as possible.  Of course YYMV. 

• Plus 1 1
dirtrider
21 hours ago, strataj said:

I haven't used CO2 cartridges in 20 years.  I don't remember them getting the tire pressure much above 20 something psi.  Maybe I didn't use enough of them I don't know but they did get enough air in the tire to make it to a gas station.   I too like ropes with rubber cement.  

Morning  strataj

Those Co2 cartridges  can work under some circumstances but have limitations. 

They are absolutely terrible at having enough air (Co2) to seat an unseated tire if it came off the rim on one side. 

Just 1 or 2 Co2 cartridges are probably not nearly enough if you have a problem repair that needs a couple of deflations/reinflation's to take 2nd or 3rd repair attempt. 

They are also not a good choice if you just want to add some air during a ride as that depletes your ability to make a repair later if needed. 

Way/way back before small 12v tire pumps were around (or easily  affordable) a number of us riders did carry a few Co2 cartridges & an inflator thingie.  But since small affordable 12 pumps have become available for the average rider cheap little 12v pumps easily trump the old Co2 cartridges for just about anything tire filling/air mattress filling/tire repair wise.   

On a couple of my dedicated (light weight) strictly off-road dedicated dirt bikes I went a different route, I carry a very light high tec lightweight bicycle hand pump. Not the quickest to use but it ALWAYS works & only weighs a few ounces. It also has a fixed pump volume  so when I want to increase my deep sand tire pressures from 10-12 psi to 16-18 psi I can just pump the number of strokes that are needed for that tire on that motorcycle (probably not exact but close enough for off road usage). 

• Like 1
Scotto336

Many choices, so to each their own.  You certainly aren't going to easily reseat a tire with a bicycle pump and I doubt that these small battery operated pumps would be very good at that either.  You need high pressure and flow to do that if the bead is broken and leaking.  Squeezing the tire sometimes helps but it can be a real challenge without a proper compressor.  I fully agree that hand pumps are still very useful in most cases and they were standard equipment on BMW airheads.  I haven't found that modern steel bundled tire beads unseat in most cases unless the bike is ridden beyond pulling over as soon as a flat is discovered.  If it does, you may well find yourself reaching for your phone instead of your small pump or CO2 gadget.

airhead pump.jpg

dirtrider
6 minutes ago, Scotto336 said:

Many choices, so to each their own.  You certainly aren't going to easily reseat a tire with a bicycle pump and I doubt that these small battery operated pumps would be very good at that either.  You need high pressure and flow to do that if the bead is broken and leaking.  Squeezing the tire sometimes helps but it can be a real challenge without a proper compressor.  I fully agree that hand pumps are still very useful in most cases and they were standard equipment on BMW airheads.  I haven't found that modern steel bundled tire beads unseat in most cases unless the bike is ridden beyond pulling over as soon as a flat is discovered.  If it does, you may well find yourself reaching for your phone instead of your small pump or CO2 gadget.

I have reseated a number of tubeless tires backs on the rim after an unseating by using a 12v tire pump.  Mostly off-road where the tire was run at way lower than recommended pressure then ridden off the rim. I usually carry a tow strap on all my bikes as the places I ride & the group that I ride with can be far outside of where a normal recovery company will respond. I just wrap a part of that tow strap around the tire then use a stick, screwdriver, even a gun barrel to twist the strap to tighten it forcing the center of the tire to reduce it's circumference therefore forcing the beads apart. 

With a 12v pump at least you have a number of tries without running out of air supply.

Even with my 175 psi shop air it is difficult to seat/reseat a tire on a rim if the wheel is still on the motorcycle as getting the tire near the rim all the way around is extremely difficult due to restricted access. 

If it's off the bike I just bounce the tire with the air hooked to it. With a little bouncing, pushing in different areas it will usually seat. 

If they won't easily seat then I just grab a can of starting ether & a lighter or torch & they almost ALWAYS seat first try. I just don't like doing it that way as I don't like leaving that burnt mixture in the tire so I usually let it out then put dry shop air back in. 

As I said above,  back when all that was available was a crude hand pump (usually pretty poor piston sealing as they aged & large) a lot of us carried Co2 cartridges as that is all we had. I would also carry an inner tube patch kit & short tire irons. If I was going far outside normal travel paths then I  would usually also carry a spare front inner tube (front tube could be used in the rear tire in an emergency).  

If you still like Co2 cartridges then by all means keep doing that. I used to feel that way about my flip phone until I was forced to switch to a smart phone.  I do still miss the one good feature of my old flip phone & the was to be able to slip it between my ear & my helmet then talk while I ride. Yes, you can do that with a smart phone but not nearly as easily on someone else's motorcycle.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

............   With a 12v pump at least you have a number of tries without running out of air supply.

....... back when all that was available was a crude hand pump (usually pretty poor piston sealing as they aged & large) a lot of us carried Co2 cartridges as that is all we had. 

If you still like Co2 cartridges then by all means keep doing that.

:18:

Scotto336

I do miss my old flip phone.  Life was so much simpler then.  Never tried the ether trick, though I have heard of it.  Just sounds like a really bad idea in search of a Darwin award.

On 7/22/2024 at 12:04 PM, Scotto336 said:

Just sounds like a really bad idea in search of a Darwin award

YouTube agrees with you........:lurk:

• Like 1