IGNORED

2025 BMW R1300GSA Unveiled

F16Viper68

Skywagon

Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart was asked to describe his test for obscenity in 1964, he responded: "I know it when I see it."

How to test for fugly. 

I know what the heck fugly  is when I see it. 

• Haha 3
RandyShields

I am too small for a GSA.  Now, I really don't want one.  What were they thinking.

beemerboy

I just threw up in my mouth. That said, seeing the new GSA makes it extremely easy to keep my '22.

• Like 2
dirtrider
46 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart was asked to describe his test for obscenity in 1964, he responded: "I know it when I see it."

How to test for fugly. 

I know what the heck fugly  is when I see it. 

Afternoon David

At my age I'm probably not the best predictor of what will be liked, accepted, & praised by the motorcycle public but my gut feeling that is one-year model & the team involved with designing & marketing that monstrosity will be looking for new positions (probably at a different company)

• Like 1
F16Viper68
45 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon David

At my age I'm probably not the best predictor of what will be liked, accepted, & praised by the motorcycle public but my gut feeling that is one-year model & the team involved with designing & marketing that monstrosity will be looking for new positions (probably at a different company)

I have to agree with your prediction. I'm wondering if BMW hired the team that designed the Harley Pan America?  Problem is I don't think they can react that fast, so we'll be looking at this thing for a few years, at least.  The 1200 LC and 1250 Shift Cam's look like beauty queens now.  :)

Dave...

dirtrider
8 minutes ago, F16Viper68 said:

I have to agree with your prediction. I'm wondering if BMW hired the team that designed the Harley Pan America?  Problem is I don't think they can react that fast, so we'll be looking at this thing for a few years, at least.  The 1200 LC and 1250 Shift Cam's look like beauty queens now.  :)

Dave...

Evening DAve

I'm thinking that if they put a diesel engine in it, put a dozer blade on the front, & put a ripper on the rear they might find a market in the farming or mining industry. 

Or maybe a couple of machine gun barrels out the front & an ATM on each side might interest the military, but again it would have to burn diesel or jet fuel.  

• Smile 1
F16Viper68
17 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening DAve

I'm thinking that if they put a diesel engine in it, put a dozer blade on the front, & put a ripper on the rear they might find a market in the farming or mining industry. 

Or maybe a couple of machine gun barrels out the front & an ATM on each side might interest the military, but again it would have to burn diesel or jet fuel.  

Funny, that's how I felt about my 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere but that was related to the engine not the looks.  I have to admit, it starts to look a tiny bit better when you add the fairing bags. 

Dave...

R1300GSA_Red.jpg

R1300GSA_Red 2.jpg

taylor1
40 minutes ago, F16Viper68 said:
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

I have to agree with your prediction. I'm wondering if BMW hired the team that designed the Harley Pan America?

Ha  I mentioned in the other thread on this that it reminded me of the Pan American

F16Viper68

Comparing the new GSA is insulting to Legos.  :)

• Haha 2
F16Viper68
23 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

This GSA and the R18 as the latest ….. I dunno

I just looked at the R18.  Did BMW lose a bet or something?  

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Skywagon

Im not a candidate for a GSA...It's a bigger bike than I want to push around.  After looking at many of the pictures; the best looking feature on the bike is the tires.:grin: I still find it fugly and gawky.  It looks like they went into the garage and found spare parts they attached.

Transformers Toys Heroic Optimus Prime Action Figure - Timeless Large-Scale Figure, Changes into Toy Truck - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11-inch

• Like 1
roadscholar

A lot of hand-wringing and complaints and yet no one in this thread has yet to see one in person. 1. It will look different in three dimensions, maybe not better but at least give it a chance. 2. It will grow on you with time, it’s a new, unfamiliar, polarizing design and takes time to assimilate something so outside the box of expectations. 3. Its primary mission is function not style/beauty in the way some modern weapons are, which is actually attractive to some. 4. Most of you are all in on a motorcycle manufacturer that's on the leading edge of performance, technology, and design, there are countless examples over the decades, get used to it, it's what they do. There have been a couple faux pas over the years but that comes with the territory, personally I don't think this is one of them.

dirtrider
54 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

A lot of hand-wringing and bitching and yet no one in this thread has yet to see one in person. 1. It will look different in three dimensions, maybe not better but at least give it a chance. 2. It will grow on you with time, it is a new, unfamiliar, polarizing design and takes time to assimilate something so outside the box of expectations. 3. It's primary mission is function not style/beauty in the way some modern weapons are which is actually attractive to some. 4. Most of you are all in on a motorcycle manufacturer that's on the leading edge of performance, technology, and design, there are countless examples over the decades, get used to it, it's what they do. There have been a couple faux pas over the years but that comes with the territory, personally I don't think this is one of them 

Evening roadscholar

The  "in person"  will need to come with some new hard parts & a more flowing design to interest me.

In my mind the only thing that 1300GS motorcycle will grow on is the North side of a tree.  

Janky59

I’ll go out on a limb and be the outlier here. I kind of like it. I’m not a buyer for it as I’m an RT kind of guy, but I dig the theme. GS’s, Duc Multi’s, 99% of all KTM’s - faces only a mother would love :classic_wink:

roadscholar
20 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Evening roadscholar

The  "in person"  will need to come with some new hard parts & a more flowing design to interest me.

In my mind the only thing that 1300GS motorcycle will grow on is the North side of a tree.  

There’s only one thing that matters, if it’s a sales success or not, time will tell and we’ll know in 9 to 12 months. The good news is if it’s a flop, it’ll get discounted heavily to move units and we all know BMW riders can’t pass up a bargain so we’ll probably be seeing them one way or another : )

I’d add that the GS Adv since it’s inception has had the unintended consequences of stealing away RT riders because of it’s range, upright riding position, and protection especially with the low seat/suspension option, those riders have no desire to go off-road on it. They’re forgetting it’s a big brute of an off-road capable motorcycle that works yet can get you to faraway trails quickly and comfortably. It’s not the motorcycle’s fault just the perception of those that think it needs to be pretty. If they don’t like it they can go back to the RT where they came from, who knows maybe the designers planned it that way.

roadscholar

No, that was a design philosophy spread across an entire model range (except the 3 series, they knew better than to mess with that), one which BMW probably wishes it hadn't embraced. But around the same time Audi went conservative and MB went aero which likely kept BMW in the game.

Chris Bangle And His Obsession With Big Automotive Butts Made For BMW's ...

Does The Bangle-Butt BMW 7-Series Look Any Better With Lancia Delta ...

480-bangle-butt2.jpg

Saved the best (worst) for last.

2004-bmw-5-series-3.jpg

• Like 1

Agree …. It will probably grow on me but for now I’ll pass. I do want to see it in person. 

Redfoxx

They are marketing it to the "snowflakes" most cant drive a stick shift car let alone a bike, and they where not taught to write in cursive either.  The new GSA looks like a giant square scooter, just gas and go. It's just missing hands free so you can lock in cruise and lean back.  Someone for got to mention it has a cup holder, in 50 years never had a bike with a cup holder,  let alone one designed for off road.  Maybe they made it so square so they can take the engine out of next model and put the battery packs in. 

I guess I will stay with the old school bikes. 

dirtrider
3 minutes ago, Redfoxx said:

They are marketing it to the "snowflakes" most cant drive a stick shift car let alone a bike, and they where not taught to write in cursive either.  The new GSA looks like a giant square scooter, just gas and go. It's just missing hands free so you can lock in cruise and lean back.  Someone for got to mention it has a cup holder, in 50 years never had a bike with a cup holder,  let alone one designed for off road.  Maybe they made it so square so they can take the engine out of next model and put the battery packs in. 

I guess I will stay with the old school bikes. 

Morning RF

Don't knock cup holders on off-road bikes, I have a few on some of my off-road bikes. Not conventional paper/plastic cups but my cup holders are shop made to hold an aluminum insulated cup that clamps in tight.  

Nothing like a few sips of hot coffee after a 20-30 minute ride-off on 20°f morning on a non-windshield non-fairing bare bones off-road bike. I have at times, in hot weather, put ice water in that cup but if riding a long difficult track I do have a dedicated water hydration pack but that water is usually warm or hot after riding a while. (yes, tastes as bad as it sounds)

It isn't for drinking while riding (even though I have done that before), it is more for stopped, or waiting for catch-up of stragglers, so I don't have to get off the motorcycle to grab a drink. 

Rougarou
On 7/23/2024 at 9:06 PM, roadscholar said:

No, that was a design philosophy spread across an entire model range (except the 3 series, they knew better than to mess with that), one which BMW probably wishes it hadn't embraced. But around the same time Audi went conservative and MB went aero which likely kept BMW in the game.

Chris Bangle And His Obsession With Big Automotive Butts Made For BMW's ...

Does The Bangle-Butt BMW 7-Series Look Any Better With Lancia Delta ...

480-bangle-butt2.jpg

Saved the best (worst) for last.

2004-bmw-5-series-3.jpg

Meh, I liked the look of my '06 545, saw nothing wrong with it.  But there are also people that like the look of the Pontiac Aztec (I'm not one)

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

,................  But there are also people that like the look of the Pontiac Aztec 

:4317:

• Smile 1
2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

One of the better looks I've seen yet.

Agree.  And full feature details 

dirtrider
3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Agree.  And full feature details 

Morning,

Well at least BMW is supposedly now supplying graphic information on how to strap the cases on with extra strapping as they are supposedly still falling off.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning,

Well at least BMW is supposedly now supplying graphic information on how to strap the cases on with extra strapping as they are supposedly still falling off.  

I believe that’s related to the Vario cases.  But nonetheless not what you’d expect on a $30k “premium “ motorcycle 

dirtrider
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

I believe that’s related to the Vario cases.  But nonetheless not what you’d expect on a $30k “premium “ motorcycle 

Morning  RTinNC

Yes, as far as I can tell only Vario cases but it did (not sure if it still does) include the top case. 

I don' know if BMW is supplying the straps but they are supposedly supplying the buyer with a nice FREE diagram on how to secure them with straps so they don't fall off.  As far as  know it is only short term until 2025 👍

Heck, maybe it is a real dirt bike as us off-road riders have been holding things on our off-road bikes with straps & bungee's for years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  RTinNC

Yes, as far as I can tell only Vario cases but it did (not sure if it still does) include the top case. 

I don' know if BMW is supplying the straps but they are supposedly supplying the buyer with a nice FREE diagram on how to secure them with straps so they don't fall off.  As far as  know it is only short term until 2025 👍

Heck, maybe it is a real dirt bike as us off-road riders have been holding things on our off-road bikes with straps & bungee's for years. 

Even the Adventure Top Case?   I thought it was just the vario top and side cases?   And I heard they solved the top case issue but heck you never know. 

Straps and bungees are good solutions but not on a 2024/25 NEW motorcycle.   Kind of like being told to use duct tape on a new Corvette.  :4317:

• Smile 1
  • 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Even Kawasaki is going for that look.

Hide contents

Screenshot2024-09-08192021.jpg.e7aac003d5873e78b4ce687b31fc93fe.jpg

Good Lord those are done fugly side cases.