IGNORED

Dying Multifunction Display

TEDZ

I have a 2013 R1200RT with a bad Multifunction Display. It was fine Tuesday, but today on start up the lower half flickered.  After stopping for lunch, the lower half was out.  Only about 12,000 miles on the bike, it's stored in a garage and kept on a battery tender.  One year old battery.  I noticed a bad harness connection in the faring.  Maybe related,  but I don't think so.  Am I looking at a new Instrument Cluster?  The song?  It's A Bad Thing.

20240705_130014.jpg

20240705_141224.jpg

dirtrider
49 minutes ago, TEDZ said:

I have a 2013 R1200RT with a bad Multifunction Display. It was fine Tuesday, but today on start up the lower half flickered.  After stopping for lunch, the lower half was out.  Only about 12,000 miles on the bike, it's stored in a garage and kept on a battery tender.  One year old battery.  I noticed a bad harness connection in the faring.  Maybe related,  but I don't think so.  Am I looking at a new Instrument Cluster?  The song?  It's A Bad Thing.

Afternoon TEDZ

It does look like yours is failing but you can at least try a few things.

If you have any other added electronics, added non-oem headlight,  or added-on electrical devices  on that motorcycle then try disconnecting those as a test. 

You might also try a half-hour battery disconnect as a test.

You might also try disconnecting then re-connecting the dash connector just to see if reseating the connector helps.       

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did the battery disconnect for about an hour and it was still bad.  The next day, still bad, with no action on my part.  Day 3, it worked just fine, and it's still fine.

Well crap, this morning the lower half of the display flickered at start up and went blank about 20 miles down the road.

dirtrider
5 minutes ago, TEDZ said:

Well crap, this morning the lower half of the display flickered at start up and went blank about 20 miles down the road.

Morning TEDZ

The next thing to try is a bit more difficult, you will probably have to try unplugging the dash connector then plugging it back in. If you have access to some contact cleaner then you might also try that on the connector terminals.