IGNORED

Electricial question

Rolland

Rolland

I am going to need to find an owners manual for this 2001 R1100RS but in the meantime can someone tell me what the electrical socked is for in the starter cover. 

dirtrider
54 minutes ago, Rolland said:

I am going to need to find an owners manual for this 2001 R1100RS but in the meantime can someone tell me what the electrical socked is for in the starter cover. 

Afternoon Rolland

That is the optional 2nd power outlet.  It's called out in the riders manual as "Power Socket, 12v, Auxiliary  Equipment Socket- 15amp fuse protection".  It was available as an order option, or as an add-on option after purchase. Also, a number of riders just added their own.

I have seen those starter cover power outlets wired to 12v direct & also wired to key-ON 12v. 

Yours could be factory, or after purchase added, or if not a BMW outlet then a past rider added of some sorts.

PZ1ZYDX.jpg

dirtrider

That power outlet needs a Male DIN plug to use it. Available from John Deere, Amazon, BMW dealer, E-Bay & lots of other places.

You can buy them as a (wire-to) plug, or with an adapter harness with SEA or other connector of your choice, or in many other configurations. 

IxyRsRF.jpg

RadioFlyer
33 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

That power outlet needs a Male DIN plug to use it. Available from John Deere, Amazon, BMW dealer, E-Bay & lots of other places.

You can buy them as a (wire-to) plug, or with an adapter harness with SEA or other connector of your choice, or in many other configurations. 

John Deere discontinued that part years ago.

dirtrider
40 minutes ago, RadioFlyer said:

John Deere discontinued that part years ago.

Evening  RadioFlyer

My John Deere dealer still has them, I'm not sure if they have a JD part number but they still have them for us JD owners that have older equipment.  

Rolland

Thanks for the replies it looks like Amazon has a good selection, it seems that the previous owner had installed a couple more adapters in the upper fairing and another near the back panel.. As soon as I get a battery and check out all the other little problems and quirks I should get on the road. It sucks having a bike sit and not be able to ride it. 

Skywagon

Google powerlet and you will see a variety of the product DR showed you. 

King Herald

I have a USB adaptor I plugged into mine, for running my GPS, charging phone etc, when touring, but it always looked a bit close to my left boot, so I relocated it further round the casing. It’s only plastic and there’s nothing to foul on the back side. 

IMG_9596.thumb.jpeg.4a79bcbfea848da63107dc5b101281d8.jpeg