IGNORED

Yellow fog light covers (various brands)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

At START this spring, I rode with @Lone_RT_rider.  His R1250RT had stock fog lamps, but he had fitted some covers that gave the light an intense yellow hue.  It was really eye-catching, which is pretty valuable when you want to be noticed by oncoming traffic.  Shawn sent me an Amazon link, and after I got home, I ordered my own set. 

Turns out they are listed under several "brands", but they all appear to be the exact same product:

https://www.amazon.com/REWOLFNUS-Motorcycle-Protector-R1200GS-R1250GS/dp/B092CZWMPT

https://www.amazon.com/KIMISS-Motorcycle-Motocycle-Protective-Protector/dp/B0BW48YZNY

https://www.amazon.com/Motoforti-Motorcycle-Protector-Foglight-F800R1250/dp/B0B8623DGK

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Motocycle-Protective-R1200Gs-Adventure/dp/B0978HDZN4

Prices vary, I managed to get mine for $20.  Different listings say they fit different bikes, but the bottom line is that if your fog lamps look like the ones on a 2023 R1250RT (see my pics below), then these should fit your bike.

Note that you can get blue or orange lenses if you prefer.  I rode from START back to Michigan with @scout6, and he had orange lenses on his lamps, and I can confirm they were also very noticeable.  OTOH, the blue lenses seem like something from 20 years ago that would have helped halogen bulbs seem more like HIDs, so I'm not sure they'd help the already-white LED fog lamps look any whiter. 

Not much in the box:

image.thumb.jpeg.89ac0d45fa81cbc55dee559d262e458e.jpeg

The screws are allen heads, and the kit includes an allen wrench.  But it turns out you don't need those at all.  The lens bracketry slips in between the OEM fog lamp and its OEM bracket, but the OEM Torx-Plus screws are plenty long enough, even with the extra thickness the lens bracket adds.  So as long as you've got a Torx-Plus driver for those OEM screws, you can do this install yourself.  For extra credit, put a dab of Loctite on each screw for reassembly.

For extra extra credit, measure the angle of the lamp before disassembly so you get get it exactly right when you put everything back together:

image.thumb.jpeg.35248c6ce98db6e9b8387f31d06f27cf.jpeg

(bike is on centerstand, so slightly nose-down - and garage floor also slopes down.  Otherwise I'm guessing the protractor would have said "90"...)

Anyway, yeah - just a couple of minutes fiddling with screws, and it's done:

image.thumb.jpeg.261ebf9d64122e69d4267d30f4d52d33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9baf2989a8cc62e67c19e468a18cb306.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c87e4fea82c77b76a6242213ce01e768.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a37694edac5859a6ceb08ed00fc12ba.jpeg

The lens flips up on its own pivot so that you can clean its back face and also the front of the OEM lamp:

image.thumb.jpeg.17e9e1137102831f168f8fb1dd41d1e7.jpeg

It's hard for a photo to properly capture the yellow nature of the light.  I think it's just too bright for the camera's sensor, and ends up looking washed out:

image.thumb.png.5ae003265ec1bb0fd5006783d08ecfd3.png

image.thumb.png.1f48b08b1b250c17e445566a46628902.png

But trust me, if you see these lights with your own eyeballs, they are intensely yellow.  We will always need to be ready for idiots to turn in front of us, but doing our best to be conspicuous will reduce the number of those idiots we actually have to deal with when we ride.

As bike mods go, this one was budget-friendly and novice-easy.  If you've got $20 and a Torx Plus driver, you can do this.

• Like 3
Lone_RT_rider

Smeetch, you could always measure the gap in the rear tire to the ground on the centerstand, assume no load on the front tire and then trig it out.  ;)  

Shawn

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
40 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Smeetch, you could always measure the gap in the rear tire to the ground on the centerstand, assume no load on the front tire and then trig it out.  ;)  

You shouldn't give me ideas...

Lone_RT_rider
3 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

You shouldn't give me ideas...

Don't forget to account for suspension sag while the bike is loaded.  I think it's 1/3 total travel for the rear. I'm not sure about the front.  *evil grin*  

scout6

I actually ride with one orange/yellow, and one white.  People notice them and comment on them.  They do get noticed.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

1 hour ago, scout6 said:

I actually ride with one orange/yellow, and one white.  People notice them and comment on them.  They do get noticed.

I definitely noticed when you were riding behind me, and I thought you just had one lens unintentionally flipped up.  But I kept forgetting to mention it when we were stopped.  :dopeslap:

81delorean

One of the best farkles I ever put on a bike was the yellow lights. Amazing how much more I got noticed while riding. I can only recall maybe 3 instances in about 2 years where I wasn't seen and someone pulled out in front of me, but I almost bet I could've been in a tank and they wouldn't have saw me. Cheap to do, well worth it. Had them on my Vstrom and was one of the things I added to my RT when I got it. 

• Like 2