IGNORED

Volar brake pads

Rolland

Rolland

When I got this bike R1100RS it came with a box of goodies in the box was a set of Volar pads for the front and back, Has anyone used this brand. They look like sintered metal pads. 

dirtrider
44 minutes ago, Rolland said:

When I got this bike R1100RS it came with a box of goodies in the box was a set of Volar pads for the front and back, Has anyone used this brand. They look like sintered metal pads. 

Afternoon Roolland

I can't comment on the Volar pads. If you Google them they don't seem to have a very good rating. But who knows if the rated pads are the exact same as you have?

In any case you probably want to verify that the pad type is what you need.

The BMW (R) used organic rear pads as some calipers had plastic pistons & weren't rated to use metallic pads. I can't find the 1100RS pad type specification so I can't say if your motorcycle needs organic or not. (the BMW parts book picture looks like metallic pads but parts books can have generic or carry-over pictures so you can't always judge by the parts book pictures) 

So, you should verify what your Volar pads are made of & if your RS  can use that material. You can remove your pads then look at them (or post picture here) as it is usually possible to tell what they are by looking at them.

Some of those out-lier pads used Kevlar for friction material. I know nothing about the Volar pads but my past experience with Kevlar pads is poor as I never thought the braking friction was good & usually found them lacking in performance.      

Rolland

If the shipping god ever deside to ship my battery I will get started on going through the brake system. I have not removed the calipers to see what kind of pistons they have but hopefully soon. I did read up on the volar pads and am not too impressed on the reviews. I normally take reviews with a grain of salt and see for myself what quality they are. 

I have used sintered metal pads on other bikes and found them to be better overall than the standard composit pads, once I determine the piston material will have to give them a shot and see what happens or not. 

On 7/12/2024 at 10:23 AM, dirtrider said:

Some of those out-lier pads used Kevlar for friction material. I know nothing about the Volar pads but my past experience with Kevlar pads is poor as I never thought the braking friction was good & usually found them lacking in performance. 

+1

My first thought is that those pads are worth what you paid for them......:java:

• Like 1
Rolland

I think the motorcycle gremlins are watching me, I did get a new set of brake pads installed and the rear brake working and fluid change, moved onto the front and changed those pads and started to bleed the system and the next thing I know there iis brake fluid squirting out of the left caliper, through a ruptured line. So waiting for parts again. At least it broke at home rather than on the road somewhere. Got braided lines coming for replacement but there is good news the battery came after 2 weeks lost in space. 

• Like 3