IGNORED

Roundell $$$

Skywagon

Skywagon

I was at the UN last week.  The bike was filthy from riding in several hours of rain.  I rolled it out to wash it today and notice the BMW Roundell on the right side cover was missing.  I looked up the part to order and wholly crap that little piece of plastic is $81.

IMG_6133.JPG

Rougarou
25 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I was at the UN last week.  The bike was filthy from riding in several hours of rain.  I rolled it out to wash it today and notice the BMW Roundell on the right side cover was missing.  I looked up the part to order and wholly crap that little piece of plastic is $81.

IMG_6133.JPG

Find a junkyard local, walk to the BMW section, pop a roundel off, pay the man a couple of bucks, hell, they might just give it to you for free

wbw6cos

I have an extra one that is leftover from buying for the R1200C, part # 51 14 7 721 223.   It is yours if it fits.

I do not remember paying that much for it a few years ago, but I can cut you a deal

Spoiler

How about half off?  :grin:

• Like 1
Skywagon
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

51 14 7 721 223

Can you take a picture and measure across please.  If it is close, I'll take it.

wbw6cos

Sure will!   I will advise you later this evening.

Cheers!

wbw6cos

Hi David,

The badge measures 70mm, same as yours.   

Two issues:   

(1)  I can only find my old one, which is faded.   No, I cannot explain why I keep it.   :dontknow:    I would still have to look for the new one this weekend and hope that I did not already give it away to another Chromehead owner.  Guess I need to confirm I still have parts before telling folks.  :ohboy:

(2)  yours has a different part number (51 14 7 721 222 -vs- mine ending in ...223)   The one for my R12C has an adhesive back to to stick to the tank.  Yours has protusions on the back to clip on that plaque (badge) holder.

I all else fails, I can get a Go Fund Me started.  :burnout:

Apologies, I could not see your image attachment all that well earlier; I was using my phone.

• Like 1
Paul De

Last year I needed to replace the removable painted panel on my right side bag as I had a bad scuff in it (don’t ask how it happened as it is embarrassing). Anyway, that little fart’n color matched panel from the mother ship had a price that was out of this world faint and fall down expensive from all the usual US on line dealer sources.  At that time the exchange rate to the Euro really favored the Dollar and I found a BMW dealer in Demark that showed the color matched panel part number on their online ordering system (just like Max or Sierra etc does). In the end with shipping and duty and taxes is was about 30% less than I could find in the US.  Still a princely sum for the panel, but it was  -30% off a stupid big number and represented a big savings. The exchange rate still has a strong dollar vs other major currencies so my advise is shop far and world wide for that roundel.

Skywagon

William...I'll measure mine tomorrow.  I didn't look all that close, but what I saw on the missing side was double sided tape I think...or something sticky.  I didn't notice pegs.  Will check and ping back.

Skywagon
2 minutes ago, Paul De said:

BMW dealer in Demark

Any chance you saved their info Paul>

Paul De
20 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Any chance you saved their info Paul>

sent you a PM

wbw6cos

David, I will look for for the new part this weekend.  I did look briefly through my parts stash, but I did not find it.   I did not give it away, so it is just a matter of locating it.

Just google 70mm BMW emblem and you will find many options for purchase .... cheap. Some snap in to defined grooves, some have adhesive backing. I swapped my 2023 RS badges for the 50th Anniversary ones.

20231207_145607 small.jpg

• Like 2
szurszewski

EME has MANY roundels - I can't read the info in pic of your screen, but if you know it's 70mm and adhesive backed, you can find many cheaper options. My wife has an E36 as her daily driver and I found that I could get multiple sets of center caps for her wheels in all sorts of color/pattern combinations on Etsy for cheap. 

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/searchresults.asp?Search=bmw+roundel&Submit=

Skywagon

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I think I found the exact replacement on ETSY ( I've never bought anything on ETSY) for $20.00  Should be here in a few days and I'll post back.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Toruk said:

I swapped my 2023 RS badges for the 50th Anniversary ones.

Hey, do you have a link, or part number for those? They'd also look good on my HP naked R. And how hard it was to remove the stock ones? If there's risk of damage to the panel, I'd leave them alone. Thank you.

wbw6cos

Good dental floss or fishing line will  help get between the adhesive and the surface.

• Like 2
szurszewski
17 hours ago, JCtx said:

Hey, do you have a link, or part number for those? They'd also look good on my HP naked R. And how hard it was to remove the stock ones? If there's risk of damage to the panel, I'd leave them alone. Thank you.

If you google "70mm bmw roundel 50th anniversary" you will see options from $20 on Etsy to $100 from BMW shops with lots of choices in the middle as well. 

szurszewski
20 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I think I found the exact replacement on ETSY ( I've never bought anything on ETSY) for $20.00  Should be here in a few days and I'll post back.

It's kind of crazy how much variety is sold through that site now - not just the little craft project place it once was. 

I'm curious to know how you like what you get, so I hope you'll post up and let us know. 

Hosstage

I'm sure it is a licensed product with no copyright infringement...

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, JCtx said:

The RS uses 56mm roundels. I bought a pack of 4 50th's on E-Bay ($33). In my case I was able to carefully pry and pop out the old ones without removing the panels. I had to modify the keyed locking nubs on the new emblems with a dremel to match the stock units removed (15 minute each). Then the new ones just popped back in. Different BMW applications have different keyed studs, or adhesive backed.

szurszewski
On 7/17/2024 at 9:07 AM, Hosstage said:

I'm sure it is a licensed product with no copyright infringement...

This is a valid point. 

Skywagon

Well the Roundells came in today.  I ordered 2 as I assume if one fell off the other one will soon.....To my surprise 2 = 2 packages with 4 each in a package.  Now I am the proud owner of 8.  Here is a picture and who I bought them from on ETSY.  I'll try to glue one on tomorrow.  For permanent type gluing I use 3M 5200.  It's waterproof and indestructible.  It's what is used on most marine fittings.  If you ever want to remove something...don't use 5200.  

If someone needs one, send me a pm with you address and I'll mail you one via regular post office in an envelope.  It should be ok.  I'll part with several, but will keep a couple for myself.

BMW emblem/roundel/center cap 60mm, 65mm, 68mm, 70mm

IMG_6147.JPG

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

RS got a new windscreen! Being shorter than stock with an upturned top lip, it works best in the up position. Looked like a good place for another roundel!

Aeroflow 4 small.jpg

• Like 1
Paul De
On 7/22/2024 at 4:33 PM, Skywagon said:

.To my surprise 2 = 2 packages with 4 each in a package.  Now I am the proud owner of 8.

LOL,  Maybe hang onto all of them, they could be handy for redecorating around the house. Just start placing them around like color swatches;)  

When my wife starts another round of god only knows why we're redecorating something, I'll suggest the blue and white propeller design in the roundel.  It used to go over like a fart in a small room, but now she understands that it means I'm not onboard with the project. 

• 3 weeks later...