IGNORED

Brake line flairs

Canadian Rockies Rider

Canadian Rockies Rider

I am making brake lines for my R1150RT and I am having a problem with the brake line flairs. What are the flair types. I know that they are DIN but are they "mushroom" or "button head"?

dirtrider
10 hours ago, Canadian Rockies Rider said:

I am making brake lines for my R1150RT and I am having a problem with the brake line flairs. What are the flair types. I know that they are DIN but are they "mushroom" or "button head"?

Morning  Canadian Rockies Rider

The BMW 1150 uses the metric  DIN/ISO bubble flare but the lines entering the ABS module are different.  You can't make those at home so will have to splice to original lines that exit the ABS module. 

XELlT0n.jpg

Canadian Rockies Rider

Thank you for the clarification! I have to apologize for not being clear about why I need to make new brake lines. I have removed the ABS system, and I am making the two required bypass lines. I have the tools to make the bubble flairs but: I wanted too positively know the correct type. Both the "bubble" and the "mushroom" flairs are DIN and they alike! 

King Herald

Have a look down the hole, you’ll see if the seat is concave or convex, so you need a flare or a bubble. I made the link pipes for mine, when the ABS was removed, but it was 7 years ago and I can’t remember what they were. 

The flare on the left is basically never used nowadays, the middle one is what’s more common. 

IMG_9648.webp.c06f8024a5c2bd3e8937377d67f315a3.webp

dirtrider
24 minutes ago, King Herald said:

Have a look down the hole, you’ll see if the seat is concave or convex, so you need a flare or a bubble. I made the link pipes for mine, when the ABS was removed, but it was 7 years ago and I can’t remember what they were. 

The flare on the left is basically never used nowadays, the middle one is what’s more common. 

IMG_9648.webp.c06f8024a5c2bd3e8937377d67f315a3.webp

Afternoon  King Herald

The one on the left is a single flair, those are illegal for brakes in the USA. The one shown is way too large to fit into it's receiving fitting anyway. 

The center is a brake-legal standard SAE double flair that was used by many manufactures in the USA for years, some are now going a different route. 

The one on the right is a somewhat flawed DIN/ISO bubble flare (would probably tighten up & not leak though), a German motorcycle would typically use that type for metric brake lines. Except for attachment to some proprietary components as those can require special attachments.    

• Plus 1 1
Canadian Rockies Rider

Thanks again for the information. The confusion is centered around the naming of the types of flairs. Some, of the many, may be called ....The "45" degree, the "inverted", the "standard" then we have "Then the "single" then there is "double". The SAE/double, (inverted/45degree). Next, we have the identical DIN/ISO fair being called a "bubble", with others calling it a "mushroom" and even a more calling it a "button" flair. You thought that I was finished, smiley face, how about the AN 37-degree used on aircraft. (This one really caused me trouble when working on my airplane!)

I use the BMW's standard DIN/ISO flair. It has a 115-degree flair angle and a 65-degree base angle. In my opinion, a (new) DIN flair looks like a "mushroom". When looking at a "used" (after being compressed) BMW" tubing flair (DIN/ISO), will look as having a base of a 90-degree (flat) angle.

dmsantam
On 7/16/2024 at 10:16 AM, Canadian Rockies Rider said:

DIN bubble flair. I got tubing and tools of eBay, and this video shows how to use them