IGNORED

Boxflyer Tools and Service in Natural Bridge, VA - Check here for Service, Scheduling, or Questions!

Boxflyer

Boxflyer

i-p8fm4JJ.jpg                                              i-GjZt7kp-M.jpg

I will have my Boxflyer Trailer with bike lift, air compressor, NoMar Tire changer, and full tool box with lots of spare parts.

Brand new axles on the trailer now, so the trailer rides like NEW!

My plan is to arrive at the Natural Bridge Historic Hotel and Conference Center on the evening of Saturday 9/21, set up the Maintenance Compound/INFO Central, in front of the Veranda section of the Hotel on Sunday AM 9/22, and be ready to do Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Services on Sunday 9/22 in the PM.

I will be flexible, but would like to not do any service on Saturday, 9/28, so I can pack up the trailer to be on the road first thing Sunday AM, 9/29.

R1200/1250 WetHead/ShiftHead

I'm already scheduling for Cam Timing and Valve Clearance services at FART '24, so please contact me early with your request for this FREE Service  for this FEE Service NOW.  PM only for details.

As of now, I'm going to limit this to 2 bikes a day so I can have time for other issues that pop up.  I can usually do 1 service in the first half of the day and 1 in the afternoon.

I have in stock, spark plugs, and other consumables normally associated with doing the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks, such as crush washers and O-rings for each of these bikes. Please plan on paying for these consumables with cash.

***** For EVERY bike that I do Valve Clearance Checks, I request that you run the last 2 or 3 tanks of gas treated with 1 ounce/gallon of Redline SI-1 Fuel System Treatment (FIRST CHOICE) or Chevron Techron Complete Concentrate Plus (SECOND CHOICE)  The Redline has slightly more of the cleaning agent PEA but is a little more expensive.  This is to ensure that combustion chamber carbon deposits are reduced and the influence of carbon on the valve face and seat don't give bad measurements with regard to adjusting the valves...if it's done right, once, the valves may NEVER need adjusting again for 100k miles! 

*****THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!  FAILURE TO CLEAN THE CARBON IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER WILL RESULT IN FALSE CLEARANCE READINGS SHOWING EXTRA CLEARANCE*****

*****I do not recommend using ANY other brand/product for this carbon removal...especially SeaFoam or Marvel Mystery Oil...or any of the 5 other Chevron Techron variations of Fuel System cleaner...they are probably using PO-PEA and it is NOT as effective as BO-PEA which is in the Chevron Techron Complete Concentrate Plus. https://a.co/d/7dnjf29

Again, my first choice is Redline SI-1 https://a.co/d/4gDyifp

In addition to performing Cam Timing/Valve Clearance Checks, I will reset ALL Engine Adaption Values with the GS-911, reset service interval (if applicable) and record internal Cylinder/Valve areas with my Borescope and share the folder of images with you via DropBox.

Final Drive/Driveshaft Spline Service

At this event I will NOT be doing service on Final Drives or Driveshafts.  Those are currently covered by the Worldwide Campaign of inspection and replacement by BMW, so I'm not going to be fighting these filthy things for now.

Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks

9/22 Sunday AM  @Motorhead1977  Tom Nicotera 2020 R1250RS  Wheel/Tire Swap out

9/22  Sunday PM @Bernie Bernie Echt 2023 R1250RT  (+plugs and oil change)

9/23  Monday AM @DBULL  Dave Bullock 2019 R1250RT (the pretty WHITE one!)

9/23  Monday PM @Janky59 Keith Foster  2018 R1200RT

9/24  Tuesday AM  OPEN

9/24  Tuesday PM @GrrrBox  Ken Kyger  2023 R1250GS

9/25  Wednesday AM @1badfrog Ron Breau R1200GS

9/25  Wednesday PM @Indy Scott  Scott Keller 2017 R1200GS

9/25 Wednesday PM  @F16Viper68  Dave Whiting  2020 R1250RT

9/26  Thursday AM  @Bullett Sharon Barbas R1250GS  (+plugs)

9/26  Thursday PM @Twisties Jan Barbas  R1250GS

9/27  Friday AM @AppFan Joe Bock 2018 R1200RT

9/27  Friday PM @Brunhilde  Jim Allen 2016 R1200RT

9/28  Saturday AM  RESERVED for Special Case only!

9/28  Saturday PM  Trailer Pack up

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools

Joe Pilz @MachineJoe is unable to attend this event...BUT...the Boxflyer WetHead/ShiftHead Cam Tools are still available from Joe here https://www.pilzmachine.com/1250-shifthead

Tire Installation and Wheel Balancing

Let me know early if you need tires installed and balanced while at FART '24.

I will cut off sign up for this service about 2 weeks before FART '24

Together, we will coordinate arrangements for ordering the tires, so contact me early to discuss.

9/22 Sunday AM  @Motorhead1977  Tom Nicotera 2020 R1250RS  Wheel/Tire Swap out

9/27 Friday Anytime  @Dave Stephens Dave Stephens  2015 R1200RT TPMS install from @Cap

Contact me here on this thread, or PM me @Boxflyer if you are interested in scheduling Cam Timing/Valve Clearance Service.

Brad Smith

Boxflyer

Edited by Boxflyer
Schedule OPEN for Tues AM as of 2045 8/31/24
  • Like 11
  • Indy Dave pinned and featured this topic

@Boxflyer Please sign me up for the Sunday PM slot for valve and cam shaft timing check. 

And oil change/oil filter and spark plugs also.

Thank you.

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 1
greiffster
5 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Final Drive/Driveshaft Spline Service

At this event I will NOT be doing service on Final Drives or Driveshafts.  Those are currently covered by the Worldwide Campaign of inspection and replacement by BMW, so I'm not going to be fighting these filthy things for now.

That's too bad.  I was going to bring my BFH for rusted splines. :/

Indy Scott

Hey Brad!    Wed PM for a wethead PM. If not other times okay.  

• Like 1

Brad, you are without a doubt one of the most selfless and talented people I have ever had the pleasure to be acquainted with and we all are lucky to have you in our little realm of motorcycling! Thank you for everything you do with and for us, it is much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

Brad, Can I take the Monday morning slot for your bike?    June and I will be trailering the bike to WV,  VA (this event) and then over to TN for a two week romp through the south.   

Dave

• Like 1
Boxflyer

OK, you got it!

Looking forward to seeing you...and of course that pretty bike again!

I'll be in touch closer to the event with my request for you to run 2 tanks of either Chevron Techron or Redline SI-1 through the bike to take any carbon deposits out of the combustion chamber as an influence to accurate valve clearance measurements.

Brad

• Like 2
Brunhilde

Brad, I see Amazon has a regular Techron, a 75,000+ mileage Techron, and a Techron for Powersports and small engines. Do you have a recommendation?

Boxflyer

@Brunhilde  I edited the first post in this thread to include my recommendation on Fuel system cleaners...

I'm glad you asked ...to help make this more clear and to possibly save folks from wasting their money on less effective products, when I want to solve a specific issue with regards to doing the Valve Clearance Checks.

Brad

***** For EVERY bike that I do Valve Clearance Checks, I request that you run the last 2 tanks of gas treated with 1 ounce/gallon of Redline SI-1 Fuel System Treatment (FIRST CHOICE) or Chevron Techron Complete Concentrate Plus (SECOND CHOICE)  The Redline has slightly more of the cleaning agent PEA but is a little more expensive.  This is to ensure that combustion chamber carbon deposits are reduced and the influence of carbon on the valve face and seat don't give bad measurements with regard to adjusting the valves...if it's done right, once, the valves may NEVER need adjusting again for 100k miles! 

*****I do not recommend using ANY other brand/product for this carbon removal...especially SeaFoam or Marvel Mystery Oil...or any of the 5 other Chevron Techron variations of Fuel System cleaner...they are probably using PO-PEA and it is NOT as effective as BO-PEA which is in the Chevron Techron Complete Concentrate Plus. https://a.co/d/7dnjf29

Again, my first choice is Redline SI-1 https://a.co/d/4gDyifp 

• Like 3
Janky59

Hello Brad - if not spoken for, I’ll slot in to the last opening.

Monday the 23 rd, the afternoon time. I’ll PM you to work out the details.

Thanks so much for your efforts.

Boxflyer

Hello @Janky59, I'll put you on the schedule for Monday PM.

That pretty much fills up my week with Cam Timing and Valve Checks.

Rumor has it that my good friend, @Cap, will be attending as well, so there may be a few other opportunities for services!

Look forward to meeting you.

Brad

• Like 4
Brunhilde

My 2016 RT with 53k miles is beginning to get noisy. Do you think it is worthwhile to order/ replace cam chain tensioners while you are setting cams? I see them on eBay and other places.

TSConver
11 minutes ago, Brunhilde said:

My 2016 RT with 53k miles is beginning to get noisy. Do you think it is worthwhile to order/ replace cam chain tensioners while you are setting cams? I see them on eBay and other places.

Have you pulled the valve covers to look for damaged lobes?

Boxflyer

51 minutes ago, Brunhilde said:

Let's take this to a PM so this thread doesn't get hijacked...much like the cam bearing cap bolts issue turned in to the "sky is falling".

Brad

• Like 2

I picked up my bottle of “Brad’s Bourbon” at an Advance Auto in town tonight.

Check your local store, $16.95 including tax out the door.

IMG_0879.thumb.jpeg.5f61498aa6a4a5731d2fac6a6f3d69d5.jpeg

• Thanks 1
Geekmaster

The bottle says it treats up to 20 gallons.  For the RT tanks, do you recommend a 1/2 bottle each tank or a whole bottle each tank?

He wants the treatment run through 2 full tanks prior to the service to be performed.   Of course, it is recommended to follow the directions for treatment quantities.

• Like 2
Twisties

FWIW, I just discovered NAPA has the Chevron Techron Complete Concentrate Plus on sale right now.  

• Like 2
Boxflyer
1 hour ago, Geekmaster said:

The bottle says it treats up to 20 gallons.  For the RT tanks, do you recommend a 1/2 bottle each tank or a whole bottle each tank?

I recommend 1 ounce per gallon...the bottle size is a variable, so stick with this ounces/gallon dosage.

• Like 1
Geekmaster
34 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

I recommend 1 ounce per gallon...the bottle size is a variable, so stick with this ounces/gallon dosage.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
F16Viper68

@BoxflyerLate to the game, but if you have a cancellation, I'd like to get a cam alignment done on my 2020 R1250RT.  

Dave...

Boxflyer

Hi Dave,

I've got you in mind for a fill in if there are any changes to the schedule.

Just to confirm, you have more than 12k on the bike...it's a waste of effort to do either the Cam Timing, or the Valve Clearance checks before the engine is completely broken in.

Brad

• Like 2
F16Viper68

Hello Brad - Yep, this one is for my, new to me, 2020 R1250RT with 17k mile on it.  I'm going to check and adjust, if necessary, the valves this weekend. I've run fuel cleaner through it so hopefully it should be good to go.

Dave...

• Like 1

***** OPENING for Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Service*****

9/24 Tues AM from 0800-1200

Let me know if you are interested in this time slot.

It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you run 2, if not 3 tanks of gas with Fuel System Cleaner containing PEA thru the engine just prior to the Valve Clearance Checks...!  

See original post for details of recommended products.

If you don't think you can complete this before the service, it will be a reason to NOT do ANY Valve Clearance adjustments...it's that CRITICAL!

I'm going to change the order in which I perform the service on engines at FART '24.

I will do the normal Cam Timing Check and adjustment as needed, then I will examine both combustion chambers with my borescope, with particular attention to the carbon deposits on the valve seats and valve faces.

With the presence of carbon on the valves, adjustment of the shims to bring the clearances back to my target values will result in inaccurate long term setting of the valves.

If anyone already signed up for Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks while in Natural Bridge has any issues with this, or will not be able to do this prior to their service time slot, PLEASE contact me!

Thanks,

Brad

• Like 4