IGNORED

HSC stuck - Help Needed

profbodryak

profbodryak

Does anyone know how to disconnect the hill assist control on a 1300GS? Trying to help this rider who is stuck with a locked up front wheel. 

Skywagon

I assume he has done the normal things.....pull front brake lever again to disengage, try to ride off to disengage...  If that done, my suggestion would be to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes.

profbodryak

We tried disconnecting the battery for a minute. Trying again for longer. But yes, I have HSC on my RT as well. His just won't release. 

Rinkydink

Turn on ignition. Go to settings, assist menu. From there you should be able to activate or deactivate HSC. I got this info from my ‘22 RT manual. I hope it is still relatively the same on the new GS. 

profbodryak

Tried that too. No luck. Ended up lifting it off the roadway and tow truck on the way. Thanks all for your help. 

profbodryak

There was one harley rider there who kept suggesting to take off the calipers claiming that it would release the front rotors. I said it won't work about 7 times. 

profbodryak

Ohhh and most interestingly, we texted after and the tow truck ride released the front brake. 

duckhawk64

How exasperating.  Worth doing more research on this problem. 

Skywagon

Was the hill start light on the whole time?  If not, I would pull the front calipers, inspect, and do the rope a dope shoestring clean and grease, and flush the system. 

profbodryak

The light was not on at all when the engine first started but then the light came on and would not disappear. It seemed to me that the HSC would not turn off for whatever reason but who knows. Hopefully the answer is to come as he was planning on taking it to the dealer it was purchased from. 

Skywagon

Thanks. Post back when you here. That’s the first one of these I remember anyone posting about. 

• Like 1

Once you turn off the ignition. HSC releases. If the brake calibers do not release the brake pressure on the front wheel it is most likely due to a problem with the front brake lever or brake reservoir and the piston is stuck or not fully returning to the resting position. 

• Plus 1 1
Rinkydink
On 7/22/2024 at 5:48 PM, Skywagon said:

Thanks. Post back when you here. That’s the first one of these I remember anyone posting about. 

This is why I deactivated mine. It activated when I really didn’t need it.

I don’t need it. 

boxer1300

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and GS ownership. Also, I am the main protagonist of this incident :27:

Just to give you all an update, the bike has been at the dealership for a week who in turn are working with BMW NA to diagnose the issue (plus a couple more issues I've had with the ride height adjustment related errors). 

I'll let you all know when I find out anything of value from the dealership. 

@profbodryak Thank you again for stopping to assist me, I really appreciated it!

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

@profbodryak Update on this issue. 

BMW Germany believes that it is an issue with the front brake master cylinder and have asked the dealership to replace the full assembly. This includes the master cylinder and brake lever. 

They then realized that there aren't any spare brake components available for the GS1300 from their suppliers. So they authorized the dealership to pull it off of a similar bike on the floor and install it on mine (this process took approx. a week to get authorized by BMW NA first and then the owner of the dealership).

BMW NA had asked the dealership for some measurements on the travel and slack, etc. on the master cylinder they pulled from my bike and were going to "analyze" it before allowing the dealership's test rider to put some miles on it. 

This was about a week and a half ago and it has been radio silence since then. The bike is sitting in the shop ready to go out on a test ride as soon as they get the green light from BMA NA. 

• Like 1