IGNORED

Mahle OC619 Oil filter....No anti-drain back valve !

Shuswaper

Shuswaper

Ya gotta be kidding me...after doing much research on oil filters for my '23 RT, I purchased 2 Mahle OC 619s, "OEM" quality made in Austria oil filters from Amazon.
How the hell is this filter suppose to be the correct replacement for the BMW filters, when there is no anti-drain valve for a side mounted installation ?
Someone want to clue me in ?! :o

dirtrider
30 minutes ago, Shuswaper said:

Ya gotta be kidding me...after doing much research on oil filters for my '23 RT, I purchased 2 Mahle OC 619s, "OEM" quality made in Austria oil filters from Amazon.
How the hell is this filter suppose to be the correct replacement for the BMW filters, when there is no anti-drain valve for a side mounted installation ?
Someone want to clue me in ?! :o

Afternoon Shuswaper

Did the removed BMW filter have one? My BMW 800 uses a side mounted filter with no anti-drain-back valve. It has no chain rattles or other noises at start up.

I can't speak to the BMW 1250 but some engines with side mounted filters have a drain back valve in the engine.

About all I can add is to call your dealer & ask if the OEM filter has one  (have them look for you).

Shuswaper

Thanks for your ideas....just found out that the filter doesn't require an anti-drain membrane because of the filters position on the engine . According to measurements, the oil level is high enough to stop the draining of the filter when shut off !

I run the 160 on my RT 2017 and at startup, the 'rattle' dissipates within about 2 seconds.

Not concerned with that quick of a pressure climb.

Motorhead1977

IIRC @Boxflyer has some pearls of wisdom about this that I couldn't begin to properly provide. After having been informed, I'd prefer to have the extra protection of the anti drain back function. IMHO the old adage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" came about for good reason. That's my $.02.

Boxflyer

I cut a lot of filters open as well as send in Oil Analysis for my engines...this along with recording Borescope images of the combustion chambers whenever I do Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks helps me determine overall heath of the engine...it's like going to the Doctor for your semi annual check up...pee in the cup, and give a few vials of blood before they use that flashlight otoscope to look in the critical areas of your head!

A bigger concern to me of the Mahle and OEM filter is under normal operation if you follow the flow, or pressure path, of the oil...as it enters the filter can through the series of holes around the threaded mounting hole, it has a metal on metal contact between the top stamped end of the filter element and the threaded outlet of the filter. (see below)

It looks to me that this metal on metal touching contact can allow unfiltered oil from the pressure side to slip through directly to the output or oil gallery/delivery side of the engine.

With a filter that has an "anti drain back" design, that contact between the metal end of the filter cartridge and the heavy threaded mounting flange now has the silicone (or rubber) seal keeping the pressurized dirty oil from seeking an easier path and must go through the filter element or the pressure relief valve.

Mahle OC-619 or OEM filter on the left and filter with silicone anti drain back valve on the right.

i-CbMtK2g-M.jpg     i-gxTxLNn-M.jpg

This is too much like an OIL THREAD for me to take sides or list what I use or my recommendations, so do your own research and either change to something else or keep doing what you're doing.

There are lots of other things to consider, like filter media material, (is it standard paper/wood pulp or 100% synthetic) that can better control the sizes of the openings in the pleated material,  is the pressure relief valve of an acceptable range of operation for your engine application, is the canister size correct for the location of the filter...on and on...

Brad

Steveyacht
43 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

I cut a lot of filters open as well as send in Oil Analysis for my engines...this along with recording Borescope images of the combustion chambers whenever I do Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks helps me determine overall heath of the engine...it's like going to the Doctor for your semi annual check up...pee in the cup, and give a few vials of blood before they use that flashlight otoscope to look in the critical areas of your head!

A bigger concern to me of the Mahle and OEM filter is under normal operation if you follow the flow, or pressure path, of the oil...as it enters the filter can through the series of holes around the threaded mounting hole, it has a metal on metal contact between the top stamped end of the filter element and the threaded outlet of the filter. (see below)

It looks to me that this metal on metal touching contact can allow unfiltered oil from the pressure side to slip through directly to the output or oil gallery/delivery side of the engine.

With a filter that has an "anti drain back" design, that contact between the metal end of the filter cartridge and the heavy threaded mounting flange now has the silicone (or rubber) seal keeping the pressurized dirty oil from seeking an easier path and must go through the filter element or the pressure relief valve.

Mahle OC-619 or OEM filter on the left and filter with silicone anti drain back valve on the right.

i-CbMtK2g-M.jpg     i-gxTxLNn-M.jpg

This is too much like an OIL THREAD for me to take sides or list what I use or my recommendations, so do your own research and either change to something else or keep doing what you're doing.

There are lots of other things to consider, like filter media material, (is it standard paper/wood pulp or 100% synthetic) that can better control the sizes of the openings in the pleated material,  is the pressure relief valve of an acceptable range of operation for your engine application, is the canister size correct for the location of the filter...on and on...

Brad

Good Morning Brad, Thanks for your analysis and photos.  I have but one question, what is the brand and part number of the filter with the drain back valve that fits a newer (2023) R1250RT?   Thanks in advance.

Shuswaper

Interesting possibility there Boxflyer !

I can only hope, that the engineer(s) behind the design would have concluded the following:  Between an accurately placed and sufficiently smooth mating surfaces at the threaded end and suitably strong spring pressure at the other end, leakage/cross contamination cannot occur.

Yes, I do see the advantage of the extra membrane acting as an o-ring .

Again, thanks for all the input gentlemen !

Mahle OC619 is the direct replacement of the OE Mahle 1142763541.  One has the BMW part # and the other is Mahle catalog #.

It is quite unlikely that Mahle would make & spec a different filter for the aftermarket.