IGNORED

Engine removal

Toast

2014 R1200GS. Have any of you removed the motor on your motorcycles? Do you REALLY have to take off the front forks to lift the frame off the motor? If the motor mounts are removed, and the yoke is freed, I would think it's just a matter of being able to lift straight up to get the frame off. Maybe (actually LIKELY) I am missing something?

dirtrider
2 hours ago, Toast said:

2014 R1200GS. Have any of you removed the motor on your motorcycles? Do you REALLY have to take off the front forks to lift the frame off the motor? If the motor mounts are removed, and the yoke is freed, I would think it's just a matter of being able to lift straight up to get the frame off. Maybe (actually LIKELY) I am missing something?

Evening Toast

I haven't ever tried it that way, I would imagine you could do it that way but that increases the risk of dinging the dangling forks, nicking the swing arm, & basically being a pain in the A$$ to work with & handle. Plus, with the fork tubes removed it is easier to store while it is removed. 

To me, that is one of those things that probably cost you more in time & grief than the little time it takes to remove the fork tubes & just get them out of your way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I followed your advice DR and was pleasantly surprised at how simple it was to pull the forks. Appreciate the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on my R1200GS - I'm at the point now where I have the motor on the bench. Haynes manual says that to pull the gearbox I need to have the pistons at BDC, which I currently have it at (6 mm locking pin hole visible thru the crankcase aperture). The next thing Haynes says to do is to remove the clutch plates and clutch center, leaving the housing in place. When I turn to the clutch removal section, it says I need to have the motor at TDC. So, my question is: do I need to turn the motor to TDC to remove the clutch basket and housing, and then spin to BDC to remove the gearbox? Objective is to access the stator...Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I currently have the motor sitting on the bench and my current situation is that I have the clutch removed. I’m ready to pull the gearbox to access the stator, and I have the flywheel locked at BDC (6mm pin installed), and spark plugs are pulled. I’ve removed all the bolts and have broken the gasket strength of the mated surfaces. As I try to withdraw the gearbox, I am getting refusal at about 5-10 mm and a heavy “clunk”. It is clear to me that something is binding up, but I’m not sure where to go from here. Should I remove the locking pin and try to turn the motor while pulling on the gearbox? Maybe the locking pin orientation is just “a little” off and that’s what is catching? Thoughts welcome, especially if you’ve been this deep into the R1200GS. Thanks!

Ha! I thought I added this earlier but apparently not. This is how far out I can pull the gearbox before it binds…

IMG_1961.jpeg

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Ha! I thought I added this earlier but apparently not. This is how far out I can pull the gearbox before it binds…

Evening Toast

Are you SURE that it is locked at BDC? (remove a spark plug then see if the piston is all the way down).

You said clutch is removed?  Did that include removing the clutch hub?