IGNORED

Who wants to guess the problem this time??

Redman

IMG_3805.thumb.jpeg.b3cdfbd813fe93bc1eeef1f22f16629c.jpeg

50 miles from home.

cruising highway speed.

engine just cuts out.

no sputtering.

All indication on dash good as far as I know. Cranks but not restart, only a slight sputter.

had over 1/4th tank, showed 100+ miles remaining.

2009 R1200RT

72k miles

had 24k service early spring.

not too happy with tow truck tie down procedure but that’s a different story

IMG_3811.thumb.jpeg.af014b9a82b7e48eca90cd6e784bcb71.jpeg

Picture to show was on its way to dealer.

Other story is : with AMA roadside service are suppose to have specific vehical VIN already registered. I thought I did, but they didn’t see any. But, anyway.

Good news is that daughterInLaw was happening to be passing thru there shortly, so I got a ride home.

but, anyway, for this posting,

based on my stated description, who wants to guess what dealer (GrandRapids) is gonna diagnose the problem to be….?

I am thinking ignition something, is my biggest suspect, based on way it just cutout with out a sputter.

Or maybe fuel pump…… or maybe tubes and such in tank (I understand was problem on 1150RT anyway).

Edited by Redman
Add year model, mileage
dirtrider
16 hours ago, Redman said:

50 miles from home.

cruising highway speed.

engine just cuts out.

no sputtering.

All indication on dash good as far as I know. Cranks but not restart, only a slight sputter.

had over 1/4th tank, showed 100+ miles remaining.

2009 R1200RT

72k miles

had 24k service early spring.

not too happy with tow truck tie down procedure but that’s a different story

Picture to show was on its way to dealer.

Other story is : with AMA roadside service are suppose to have specific vehical VIN already registered. I thought I did, but they didn’t see any. But, anyway.

Good news is that daughterInLaw was happening to be passing thru there shortly, so I got a ride home.

but, anyway, for this posting,

based on my stated description, who wants to guess what dealer (GrandRapids) is gonna diagnose the problem to be….?

I am thinking ignition something, is my biggest suspect, based on way it just cutout with out a sputter.

Or maybe fuel pump…… or maybe tubes and such in tank (I understand was problem on 1150RT anyway).

Evening Redman

Can you believe the fuel gauge? It might be out of fuel if your fuel strip is failing (lying).

Otherwise the FPC (Fuel Pump Controller), possible failure, or the fuel pump failed. 

Put a GS-911 on it to see what fault codes are stored. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

. . .

Can you believe the fuel gauge? It might be out of fuel . . . .

hum….. now that you mention it, it said 1/4 (and about 100 miles) when I left home,…. I went about 40 miles…… and , not certain, but think it was still at about 1/4th. So, that does sound a bit suspicious .

(was about 2 miles from destination where was gonna fill up before return.)

if it did actually run out of fuel, definitely wasn’t any yellow light, flashing or not.

Dealer said it started when they unloaded it off the flat bed tow truck to bring it in. Then they asked me if maybe I ran out of fuel.

they said will look at it tommorow.

BamaJohn

What DR said.  Bad fuel strip on my '09 RT left me pushing the bike, while the fuel gauge read over 1/4 tank.

• Like 1
Skywagon

You asked us to guess....so here are my guesses:

1. Out of gas

2. Tank hoses

3. Quick Connects....don't know if your bike has those or not

4. HES....don't know if your bike has that or not.

5. Side Stand Switch

• Like 1
dirtrider
8 hours ago, Redman said:

"if it did actually run out of fuel, definitely wasn’t any yellow light, flashing or not"

Morning Redman

Your 2009 1200RT uses the same fuel strip output for the low fuel light, so if it failed at 1/4 tank then the low fuel warning system saw the same 1/4 full tank as you did so wouldn't illuminate.

The low fuel light WILL come on (& stay on) IF the fuel strip fails indicating empty (the most common failure) but I have seen them fail indicating completely full (that was the first fuel strip failure on my 1200RT), fail indicating 1/2 full tank (that was my 3rd or 4th fuel strip failure, I can't remember which, so a failed fuel strip doesn't always bring on the low fuel warning. 

On the BMW 1200RT hexhead bikes the rider REALLY needs to set the 2nd trip meter to "0" at every fill-up as that is the back-up indication that a fuel stop is needed.  (figure 250 miles at higher freeway speeds 80+, 275 miles for moderate-fast freeway, or into heavy head winds at moderate speeds etc, they will usually easily make 300 miles at moderate freeway, at 55-65 back roads they will usually go 325+ miles on a full tank.

The good news is: (If) you do have a failed fuel strip then the latest replacement fuel strips from BMW seem to be much better at living a long happy life. 

• Like 1
dmsantam

FPC is my guess, because it started later on. When the FPC went on my 05 GS, it would turn the motor but not start. I waited 30 min, and it fired up and got me home. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, dmsantam said:

FPC is my guess, because it started later on. When the FPC went on my 05 GS, it would turn the motor but not start. I waited 30 min, and it fired up and got me home. 

That's what happened for me on my '09 R1200RT.  When the bike was a year old I headed out on a long weekend trip, and about 60 miles from home, the FPC left me stranded on the side of the highway for five minutes, then decided to start again.  It was fine for the rest of the trip, and then started getting flaky weeks later.  Dealer replaced the FPC with a new one that had better seals to keep out water.  

• Like 2

Thanks for info guys. It was helpfull for when I talked to service manager.

Answer to What Did Dealer Say:

- started and ran to bring it into shop.

- no recent fault codes. Older fault codes not applicable.

- Tank seemed quite empty. Added a little then could detect some splashing around.

- other things to check were good.

- Rode some. added 6 point something fuel at gas station. Guage responded.

- so seems like was an out of fuel situation, without getting the low alarm.

I asked about maybe fuel pump or the controller.

- said controller failure usally has code, and is not usally intemittent. (that statement is not consistent with what folks have said here)

- said fuel pump failure is not intermittent.

Further conversation:

- maybe later today or tommow morning, can have "porter" run it up and down the highway for 30-40 minutes.

- replacing fuel strip (maybe he didnt call it that) would be over 600 bucks. But it showed quite low when he first saw it, (but no low alarm), and did respond to adding fuel.

I said, yah, run it on highway for a while, if nothing shows up, I'll use the trip meter and keep an eye on how the fuel guage functions. And if suspect maybe replace the fuel strip on some other service occassion.

I thanked him for getting to it promptly.

Other thing I am thinking: what other bike would be not so tall, and more suitable for wife riding with me.

dirtrider
1 minute ago, Redman said:

Other thing I am thinking: what other bike would be not so tall, and more suitable for wife riding with me.

Afternoon Redman

A lowered 1200 or 1250 RT. 

dirtrider
5 minutes ago, Redman said:

Answer to What Did Dealer Say:

- started and ran to bring it into shop.

- no recent fault codes. Older fault codes not applicable.

- Tank seemed quite empty. Added a little then could detect some splashing around.

- other things to check were good.

- Rode some. added 6 point something fuel at gas station. Guage responded.

- so seems like was an out of fuel situation, without getting the low alarm.

I asked about maybe fuel pump or the controller.

- said controller failure usally has code, and is not usally intemittent. (that statement is not consistent with what folks have said here)

- said fuel pump failure is not intermittent.

Further conversation:

- maybe later today or tommow morning, can have "porter" run it up and down the highway for 30-40 minutes.

- replacing fuel strip (maybe he didnt call it that) would be over 600 bucks. But it showed quite low when he first saw it, (but no low alarm), and did respond to adding fuel.

I said, yah, run it on highway for a while, if nothing shows up, I'll use the trip meter and keep an eye on how the fuel guage functions. And if suspect maybe replace the fuel strip on some other service occassion.

I thanked him for getting to it promptly.

Afternoon Redman

Yes, a failing FPC typically leaves a stored fault code.  I did see one long ago (on a 2005 1200RT that failed & didn't set a fault code).  The 2005-2007 used an early low fin FPC that had moisture leakage issues & porosity issues. Your 2009 (high fin) should have had the 2nd best FPC, there was a later black, powder coated, high fin, with improved gasket used as a service replacement. 

• Like 1
Hosstage

My standard of operation is to fill with fuel at the beginning of every ride, even if not going far and still have quite a bit of fuel in the tank from last ride (Sometimes we just ride farther than planned). Then reset the trip meter. I use that more than the fuel gauge.

Having spent time on boats, and fishing big water, it was drilled into my head that fuel is a safety factor, always have more than needed.

Glad to hear it seems a cheap fix so far.

• Like 2
dmsantam

FPC failure on my 05 GS did not leave a stored fault code. 

I replaced it with the black powdercoated version, and never had a problem since. I also repurposed the plug from the failed one to carry a jumper on board in case it happened to me or somebody else. The original one was silver, and the fins looked very corroded. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dirtrider said:

. . 

On the BMW 1200RT hexhead bikes the rider REALLY needs to set the 2nd trip meter to "0" at every fill-up as that is the back-up indication that a fuel stop is needed.  (figure 250 miles at higher freeway speeds 80+, 275 miles for moderate-fast freeway, or into heavy head winds at moderate speeds etc, they will usually easily make 300 miles at moderate freeway, at 55-65 back roads they will usually go 325+ miles on a full tank.

…..

Thanks DR, I do need to start using trip meter every tank, for primary indicator of needing a fillup.

And monitor the guage just just see if it continues to go down at seemily appropriate rate.

you say a typical fuel strip failure is to indicate empty all the time, and other failure is to show full all the time, ……. and maybe lesser chance that fails by showing some other value like 1/4th all the time regardless if level is a over or below that.

Mine seemed to indicate some low like maybe 1/8th (but not low alarm), but actually ran out of gas (dealer is saying). But then did respond when fuel added.

you haven’t mentioned that as a known failure mode (indicates properly when level is above some level, say 1/8th, but indication stays at that level even if fuel level is actually below that)

I am not understanding the nature of this fuel strip, to be able to deduce these failure modes, but I gather is not a float and reostat/potentiometer (like I have decades of experince with on 80s Suzukis).

in short: what dealer is suggesting is gauge stuck at not going below, say 1/8th, and then I ran out of fuel. And guage responded when fuel added.
But I am half wondering if I had some other intermittent problem (Like FPC) that is gonna get me again.

We shall see.

Edited by Redman
Reword some
Skywagon

Hey Redman....There is a way to build a jumper to bypass the FPC should it puke on you while on the road.  I don't recall what that is, but others here will know and can probably give you a drawing and directions.  I would put one in my bags until you're sure the FPC isn't the issue

I reset at least one trip meter every time I gas up.  I look to see what it says my mpg has been, multiplied by the amount of gas I added, and subtract 20 miles just to be on the safe side.  I don't have any issues with my gauge, but I depend on the trip meter to keep me rolling.

e.g.  Bike computer says been getting 46mpg.  I add 6 gallons  (6x46) - 20 = 256...  I know I'm good for that far and more.

• Like 1
dirtrider
9 hours ago, Redman said:

Thanks DR, I do need to start using trip meter every tank, for primary indicator of needing a fillup.

And monitor the guage just just see if it continues to go down at seemily appropriate rate.

you say a typical fuel strip failure is to indicate empty all the time, and other failure is to show full all the time, ……. and maybe lesser chance that fails by showing some other value like 1/4th all the time regardless if level is a over or below that.

Mine seemed to indicate some low like maybe 1/8th (but not low alarm), but actually ran out of gas (dealer is saying). But then did respond when fuel added.

you haven’t mentioned that as a known failure mode (indicates properly when level is above some level, say 1/8th, but indication stays at that level even if fuel level is actually below that)

I am not understanding the nature of this fuel strip, to be able to deduce these failure modes, but I gather is not a float and reostat/potentiometer (like I have decades of experince with on 80s Suzukis).

in short: what dealer is suggesting is gauge stuck at not going below, say 1/8th, and then I ran out of fuel. And guage responded when fuel added.
But I am half wondering if I had some other intermittent problem (Like FPC) that is gonna get me again.

We shall see.

r

9 hours ago, Redman said:

We shall see.

Morning Redman

I posted a bit about this above but it looks like you might have missed it. 

The fuel gauge on the 1200RT hexhead can not get stuck like a mechanical gauge with a float. It is fully electronic. It can fail at a certain level if the fuel strip fails. 

The FPC has nothing to do with the fuel gauge as it is only used to control the fuel pump run  & output. 

What I mentioned above is the fuel strip could have been calibrated incorrectly (or not at all) at last new fuel strip install. When a new (or original) fuel strip is installed it must be totally dry, then the system is electronically calibrated around that dry fuel strip. 

If the fuel strip is (was) not calibrated correctly then it could be off enough to allow you to run out of fuel with some fuel level still showing of the dash gauge. You probably wouldn't notice this as long as you never ran it to completely empty. It is difficult to tell if a 3/4 full or 1/2 full dash reading is accurate as whatever the gauge reads is plausible. 

If it were my motorcycle, I would probably  put it on the side stand, then stick a hose down in the tank on the lefthand side into the lowest place (all the way to the bottom). Then siphon as much fuel out as possible. The lean the motorcycle over to the left as far as I could but still hold it up, then try siphoning on left side again. 

Then take a gallon or two with me, then ride the motorcycle around (right in your local area). Then see what the fuel gauge says after a short ride. There is an electronic delay built into your fuel gauge circuit so it can take some time after starting/riding for a fuel level drop to respond on the gauge. 

If the gauge doesn't show below 1/4 tank (or empty with the low fuel light illuminated) then you have found the reason that your motorcycle ran out of fuel.

If it shows empty with a low fuel light then that doesn't totally vet your fuel gauge system but it puts some doubt on it as being the problem. 

If the fuel gauge shows to be somewhat accurate then (personally I would buy a new black high fin FPC, then install that. Then you can carry your old (removed FPC) as a spare if you or some one else ever needs one in a pinch. 

When the motorcycle was recovered then worked on do you have any idea on how much (TOTAL) fuel was added to the tank??????

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, dirtrider said:

. . . . .

When the motorcycle was recovered then worked on do you have any idea on how much (TOTAL) fuel was added to the tank??????

THanks for information DR.

Ah, I had not been aware of the required "calibration" of the fuel strip.

Your discussion of Calibration, or miss callibrated, or not calibrated, seems more consitent with what occured in my situation (guage showed one bar but tank empty, but responded to adding gas). THat makes more sence than the fuel strip failure modes (always empty, always full, always 1/4th). Thanks. Yah. Okay. Seems like I have a calibration situation, not so much a failed fuel strip.
Okay, now that have identified a good plausable explanation, I feel more confident now that dont have some other intermittent problem (FPC, ignition, whatever) going on.

So, I'll get better at using the trip meter.

ANd also know that when says about 1/4 and about 100 miles, I now know its actaully less than 50. And better yet, not let it get down below there anyway.

TO answer your question of "how much fuel did they add" :

THey said when it came in they could not hear any fuel sloshing around, so added 1/2 gallon or so , then could hear fuel sloshing around.

THen rode to gas station and added 5.6 gallon.

Which, yep, 5.6 plus half would be total capacity.

Edited by Redman
spulling, and reword some.

So glad that it was a simple fix!   The towing and tie down made me cringe to see the pics.   I did a fly and ride from WI to Kansas City for a 2010 RT.  My son left WI and we were going to meet half way and spend a few days riding with my 'new' bike.  We had a great first few hours and my gas gauge said I had about 1/4 tank.  We were in the middle of nowhere and the bike just stopped.  Right next to a run down cabin.  Guy came out and asked if he could help.  First thing he says was 'you have gas?'   I said yes gauge is 1/4.   Well he says, let's add some and see if it starts.  yup.   Same issue that you had-we rode into the nearest town for gas and filled it, and I learned to use the trip odometer on that ride.  It was still warranted so had it replaced twice by BMW.   Glad you're riding again

• Like 1

The dreaded fuel strip got me twice on my 05 RT before it was figured out. Once 40 feet from a gas pump and “Carl” told me you probably ain’t got no gas in it. I said nope, says half a tank. Carl was right :spittake: after me trucking it home! :dopeslap: Second time was on the highway and I can’t remember if the (fuel strip) was on the radar at that point. Yup, out of gas again, after trucking it home. :dopeslap::dopeslap: In my defense I looked and shook the tank the second time and would have sworn I saw fuel. Yup, I caught on after that. :)

• Like 2
81delorean

My fuel strip got me when it was 5 degrees outside but I was less than a mile from my house. Called the wife to bring me some gas and it fired right up so I made it home and didn't have to push it, not that it would've been my first time pushing a bike for miles to a gas station. but would've been my first when it was that cold and a bike this heavy. That's when I learned about the fuel strip. I now have a 1.5 litre fuel bottle just in case and having to learn to reset the odometer. See how it goes tomorrow on my first road trip on the bike. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay.

Full confession:

it said about 1/4th and near hundred miles WHEN I left home. My destination was about 40 miles, and plan was to fill up there.

But, I didn’t go directly there…..

and….. I wasn’t paying attention, either. 
My fault.

But, when it quit, the guage did show SOME. And when it quit it didn’t sputter, so I suspected some failure other than outta-gas.

so, main factor was that I wasn’t paying attention.

Now know to use trip meter, and not trust guage down to that level.

szurszewski

I suspect a lot of us here have run out of fuel a time or too - sometimes because of a mechanical error, but you and I can't be the only ones who fell prey to our inattentiveness or foolishness. At least the dealer didn't try to sell you a whole new fuel system - good on them!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2024 at 6:50 AM, dirtrider said:

On the BMW 1200RT hexhead bikes the rider REALLY needs to set the 2nd trip meter to "0" at every fill-up as that is the back-up indication that a fuel stop is needed.  .

Relative to using trip meter as a backup (or primary) to the fuel guage, any reason you specifically suggested the 2nd trip meter?

• Thinking 1
2 hours ago, Redman said:

Relative to using trip meter as a backup (or primary) to the fuel guage, any reason you specifically suggested the 2nd trip meter?

Evening Redman

Not really, just use one of the two trip meters for it's intended purpose (entire trip) then use the other trip meter zeroed at each fuel tank fill up for fuel range. 

Redman...my fuel gauge is pretty accurate, but here is what I do.

I set Trip 1 to zero every time I fill up.  That way I see miles since fill up.

I set Trip 2 to zero for each trip and I don't reset it again until the trip is over whether that be one day or several days in a row

There is no right or wrong way.  Just be sure you set one of the meters to zero every time you fill up and start watching it closely at around 200miles.  Pick your target for fillup.  My target is 250 miles even though I have seen over 300 a couple of times...but I was nervous as heck.

• Like 1