IGNORED

When and Where

Dennis Andress

On 9/9/2024 at 4:19 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort is about 30 minutes south of Lee Vining.

There's also the June Lake area, which is north of Mammoth and closer to the passes.  It has fewer lodging and dining options than Mammoth, of course, which is loaded with them.  Just looking at Google Maps, the Heidelberg Inn looks big enough to house an UN and appears to have several restaurants and bars within walking distance.  I've never done more than ride or drive through the area without stopping, though.

24 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

There's also the June Lake area........

I'll take a look when I get back that way. My time in the Sierra was in the early 80s, June Lake wasn't a thing back then.

Lee Vining has plenty of lodging and dinning.

On 9/9/2024 at 12:30 PM, Bernie said:

I believe that BMWST.com really needs more events in the western part of the country. How and where these events are or when is up to the members in that area. 

Could they be west coast 'ART's? Maybe they should be named RMRT's? (Rocky Mountain Riding Tours?). Or SRT's (Sierra Riding Tour?).

Over the last few years DART has been started and is turning into a great event, drawing riders from near and far.

I think the same should be able to be started somewhere west of the Rockies. I know there are lots of BMWST.com members out on that side of the country.

Someone will just have to take the bull by the horns and get it going.

The 'ART's didn't start with a big selection of routes or group dinners etc. Those things developed as more and more guys showed up and wanted to explore the area or enjoy dinner with the other members. 

I would call them ROMPS -ROcky Mountain Pass Soirees...

On 9/10/2024 at 3:30 AM, mbelectric said:

Great discussion!

Now, back to the dates….here’s another consideration that may strike a cord with a few heavyweights:

Place the Un and Torrey 50 dates close enough together to accomplish both within just over a week duration. I’m sure a few riders might be interested. 

Sorry, I’m retired and that sounded selfish..😉

I agree.  I think it we can tie them closer together I might be more inclined to do both.  I'm most likely going to show up in my RV with a bike on the back.  I'd like to do both with the same folks, we will have to see how much I have to miss of each to have the time to be a roadblock between events 

Dennis Andress

I’m two days away from Lee Vining. Getting an RV up my driveway would be difficult, getting it down ain’t going to happen.

3 hours ago, mrduck said:

Do we need a pre ride? Is it time to round up the “usual suspects?”

IMG_1891.jpeg

Looks like there's going to be a wedding very shortly 😄 😉

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, syntorz said:

Or a recruitment poster.

Damn, it's 29 hours away for me. That pic is real motivation to try and make it work.

Agreed about a recruitment poster.  Heh heh, 29 hours for me would just about get me to where you are and then it'd be time "for the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say. :grin:

23 hours ago, LBump said:

Area has great riding and scenery. You won't be disappointed. Tioga Pass  Sonora Pass

Nice pics!  Sonora pass is my favorite pass of the of all of them.  I believe Tioga pass now requires reservations to traverse it.

55 minutes ago, hunter41 said:

Nice pics!  Sonora pass is my favorite pass of the of all of them.  I believe Tioga pass now requires reservations to traverse it.

I hadn't thought of that, Thanks.

Reservations required on weekends and holidays.

Taken from the western foothills, looking west into the haze of the San Joaquin Valley. I was stationed out there somewhere in the early 80s.

image.png

• Like 2