IGNORED

Unluckiest.Bike.Ever plus ignition lock question

2015 Blue RT

2015 Blue RT
56 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

The only people who "score" from a class action suit are the attorneys.........

No doubt. I think I'll do fine individually, but would like to see this practice of undervaluing exposed.

• Like 2
2015 Blue RT

Just got a call from the rep and they agreed to my demand document to the tune of slightly over $12K. I'll sign the title over Friday & get my check. :18:

• Like 5
  • Smile 2
Hosstage

After you buy your new one, you might even have a little money left over for some cheap hookers and blow!

• Haha 2
2015 Blue RT
47 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

After you buy your new one, you might even have a little money left over for some cheap hookers and blow!

Not my idea of recreation, plus I have hurricane damage to pay for.

• Like 1
Hosstage
1 hour ago, 2015 Blue RT said:

Not my idea of recreation, plus I have hurricane damage to pay for.

Well, I tried to be a bad influence! Tell you what, I'll get some hookers and blow, and you can live vicariously thru me.

2015 Blue RT
1 minute ago, Hosstage said:

Well, I tried to be a bad influence. Tell you what, I'll get some hookers and blow, and you can live vicariously thru me!

I've got some Jesus, and you can live forever thru Him!  :)

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

You talk like my tax guy in April. "Hey, with that refund check you have lots of money for......", you know the rest. His female employees just sit there and roll their eyes 🙄

• Like 1
2015 Blue RT
1 minute ago, syntorz said:

You talk like my tax guy in April. "Hey, with that refund check you have lots of money for......", you know the rest. His female employees just sit there and roll their eyes 🙄

LOL. It's not a refund check, just money someone has lent the government interest-free. Funny how it never works that way when the situation is reversed.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thinking 1
2015 Blue RT

Also, Progressive's local rep texted and postponed the Friday appointment due to a claimed storm-related power loss. Where they are located has had power for days, so I'm not sure what they're doing. The claim rep called & said I can possibly get this done via FedEx, so we'll see if that's going to work.

Hosstage

I've got some Jesus, and you can live forever thru Him!  :)

Nothing personal, I'm gonna stick with the hookers and blow. :classic_wink:

Rougarou
26 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Nothing personal, I'm gonna stick with the hookers and blow. :classic_wink:

Bruh, when we hittin' the Gold Club:grin:

• Smile 1

Congratulations,  Blue , all that legwork was well done and well worth it! Forget the hookers and blow, get you some insurance coverage with any leftover funds, or set aside for a spring fling in Helen, Georgia! And praying for good luck with the damage from Helene.

• Like 1
2015 Blue RT
1 minute ago, Krid said:

Congratulations,  Blue , all that legwork was well done and well worth it! Forget the hookers and blow, get you some insurance coverage with any leftover funds, or set aside for a spring fling in Helen, Georgia! And praying for good luck with the damage from Helene.

Thanks. My lawyer called this afternoon & said he had sent them a representation letter, so that may have factored in to the speed of the settlement. The plan as of this afternoon is for them to email the paperwork, and I can print & sign it. My lawyer said to send it to him so he can look it over & make sure nothing has changed.

• Like 3
Skywagon

I've followed along on this thread to see the final outcome.  I don't want to offend any insurance folks, but will share a brief story.

I worked for a $115Billion tech company for 20 years.  As such we had thousands of clients.  Our largest clients had executive sponsors they could call at anytime...as in they had my cell and home number.  One of my clients was a really large insurance company that does home, auto, health, and life.  At the time they had about 80 lawyers on staff.  I was meeting with some of the executives and asked why they had so many pending litigations and arbitrations...are insured folks just trying to rip you off?  They told me that their first response on any claim was to deny the claim first and then wait for the truth to come out over time.  Sometimes customers would except the denial, some would take a negotiated settlement, sometime the insurance company would do the right thing, and sometime the parties couldn't agree and arbitration or litigation would ensue.  

P.S....it wasn't the company you are dealing with and I won't name names.  Glad it worked out for you.

I had a motorcycle claim with Progressive somewhere around 2008 or so.  They were at my house in a day or so.  They had the bike picked up and taken to the dealer.  The dealer gave a very thorough estimate, and Progressive sent me a check within a couple of days.  The only hiccup...and it is pretty standard procedure, the check said once you cash this, you can't claim more damage.  I waited until the dealer presented me with a bill.  It was about $1.55 less than the check.  I sent Progressive the $1.55 in a check....they sent it back and said all was good.  So...my incident was good, but the rate went up steadily over the next 3 years to way too high and I had to leave them for a major carrier at 1/3 the price.

• Like 2
2015 Blue RT

Good info, I'm sure that's SOP for nearly all of them. I'd still like to take this to trial and hit them for punitive damages (see above: What is it, the principle, huh?), but if they meet my demand I don't need to do so.

ChuckA10

I wouldn’t worry about principle take your well earned and well negotiated settlement and be happy.

Congratulations !😊

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2015 Blue RT
33 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Just take the win......

As much as I'd like to it turns out I can't. They had me scheduled for a payoff Friday. They've now postponed it due to quote unquote power outages that don't exist. So now they're trying to do something by email with no check involved. Needless to say I'm not going to fall for that. I sent their paperwork to the lawyer.

Rougarou

Hmmm, if you are not "at" their facility, how do you specifically know the power is not out?  Much depends on how the power is run.  You can have power, but across the street could be out for days,.....just sayin'

• Like 1
Rougarou
14 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I've followed along on this thread to see the final outcome.  I don't want to offend any insurance folks, but will share a brief story.

I worked for a $115Billion tech company for 20 years.  As such we had thousands of clients.  Our largest clients had executive sponsors they could call at anytime...as in they had my cell and home number.  One of my clients was a really large insurance company that does home, auto, health, and life.  At the time they had about 80 lawyers on staff.  I was meeting with some of the executives and asked why they had so many pending litigations and arbitrations...are insured folks just trying to rip you off?  They told me that their first response on any claim was to deny the claim first and then wait for the truth to come out over time.  Sometimes customers would except the denial, some would take a negotiated settlement, sometime the insurance company would do the right thing, and sometime the parties couldn't agree and arbitration or litigation would ensue.  

P.S....it wasn't the company you are dealing with and I won't name names.  Glad it worked out for you.

I had a motorcycle claim with Progressive somewhere around 2008 or so.  They were at my house in a day or so.  They had the bike picked up and taken to the dealer.  The dealer gave a very thorough estimate, and Progressive sent me a check within a couple of days.  The only hiccup...and it is pretty standard procedure, the check said once you cash this, you can't claim more damage.  I waited until the dealer presented me with a bill.  It was about $1.55 less than the check.  I sent Progressive the $1.55 in a check....they sent it back and said all was good.  So...my incident was good, but the rate went up steadily over the next 3 years to way too high and I had to leave them for a major carrier at 1/3 the price.

Grisham's "The Rainmaker", deny the first claim.

• Like 1
2015 Blue RT
21 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Hmmm, if you are not "at" their facility, how do you specifically know the power is not out?  Much depends on how the power is run.  You can have power, but across the street could be out for days,.....just sayin'

That city does their own utilities. I checked their outage map, says 0 customers without power. It's a business set of suites. I'll see if the business next door is open, but that city had minor damage compared to other areas. It's also a matter of trust, of which there is none on my part.

Rougarou

That city does their own utilities. I checked their outage map, says 0 customers without power. It's a business set of suites. I'll see if the business next door is open, but that city had minor damage compared to other areas. It's also a matter of trust, of which there is none on my part.

Outage maps are like weather radars, false a good bit of the time.   Minor damage is still damage and that particular building section could have received the jolt it needed to be out.  Electricity works in mysterious ways.

Why would a company representative lie about their facility being outta juice when such a thing can be checked?  

Dave_in_TX
21 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I have never had a claim against a driver covered by Progressive but as a long term Progressive customer, I have filed multiple claims against my insurance coverage (all cases where I was not at fault) and have been happy with the results, which is why I am still a customer.

- Collided with a deer with my Kawasaki Voyager. Progressive was prompt with an adjuster. Bike was totaled and I promptly got a check in a few days for what I considered fair.

- Right side saddlebag of my RT got knocked off by a car. Driver admitted to being at fault but his insurance company was "dragging their feet" sending an adjuster to examine the damage claiming they were trying to determine if the car was actually one that was insured by them. Since I had I had collision, I turn in a claim to Progressive. They had an adjuster out the next day and got my a check for the damage, minus my deductible, in a couple days. Later, after they had collected from the other insurance company, I got another check for the deductible.

- Another deer collision on my 2014 GS. They were quick to inspect the damage and while I could have quibbled over the value of a couple accessories, what they gave me for repairs was less than I could sold or traded in the bike for since it already had 135k miles on it. I took their offer, sold the bike "as is" to a third party and considered myself money ahead.

- Got rear ended on my 2020 GS as I was making a turn. I was fine but the bike slid into the front wheel of an SUV stopped at the intersection waiting to make a turn. Driver's insurance was slow getting an adjuster to look at the bike. The first adjuster didn't know what to look and just took some pictures. They sent another adjuster out and he looked it over and took some pictures and later asked me for more pictures. They also were asking for proof of what I had paid for my Clearwater lights. Finally, I was informed that any settlement would be delayed because the driver's property damage coverage wasn't sufficient to cover the damage to both my bike and the SUV. Since I uninsured/underinsured coverage, I filed against my policy. Inspector showed in a day or two. They told me they could find value of Clearwaters without my help. Bike was totaled. Probably took about a week, but I received much more that I had hoped. The 2020 had over 93k miles on it but what I received was only a few thousand short of the price of a new 2023. I later got another check for the amount of my deductible which I assume was the result of settling with the other insurance company (Germania).

Even if I wasn't considered at fault for any of these claims, I was starting to wonder what would happen to my rates at the next renewal. To my surprise, I got a substantial discount for being a long term customer. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I too have had good experience with Progressive. 3 claims, one on a motorcycle, 2 on cars, none at fault,  (one comprehensive (deer.))

Quick response and settlements in all cases.

2015 Blue RT

The saga concludes, and I'm no longer a BMW owner. :( Got digital delivery of the funds and the title is on the way to progressive. To offset the loss of use, I get to keep the saddlebags, so I'll be listing them here soon.

Thanks for all of the advice here. This is truly a great forum for a newbie.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, ChuckA10 said:

Hi, have you found a new to you bike yet?

keep us apprised when you get back on 2 wheels. 🏍️

Yes. I updated my signature, going for my first-ever Brit bike. I'll attach a pic. All I'm lacking at this point is an Italian one... I always liked the MG Norge, and test rode one before I bought the RT. It doesn't have cruise control, a feature I use on my daily ride. It can be added, but from what I've read it's a pain and units are hard to source.

Should be delivered maybe end of next week (10/18 or so), shipping as usual has been an ordeal. I forgot to add it has 100K less miles (25K) than my RT. All indications are it should be a good fit, but if not I can always sell & buy another RT of some sort. BTW, joined their forum & it's older software not as easy to use & I don't get the good vibe I do here.

00x0x_6pt68BeyQAh_0ww0ii_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

<Columbo>One other thing...</Columbo>

I'm insured w/ GEICO for my cars, so given the advice here I got a quote for pretty decent coverage:

100/300K bodily injury

50K property damage

Comp & collision w/ $250 deductible

Roadside assistance- towing etc.

Accessory coverage such as aftermarket parts up to $2K.

$240/year. I'm going to go ahead & sign up.

Progressive wanted $170 for just the first two. $600 by the time I added the remainder. Didn't use my real name LOL.

State Farm doesn't do online quotes- call an agent.

Allstate wasn't bad, similar overage for $330.

Liberty Mutual- call for quote. Really irritating commercials, so just as well.

Nationwide- doesn't do online quotes, call an agent. Similar referral to National General doesn't cover MC- at least not a Triumph.

Harley Davidson similar coverage $650

Travelers links to Dairyland, same software as Harley, even asks if you belong to Harley group. 

Great spot for my favorite Harley YT video:

Followed by my second favorite: