IGNORED

Illium Engine Bar Issue

MOD

Hi,

A while back I purchased a set of Ilium Engine Bars for my 2014/15 R1200RT from the (at the time) Australian agent.

Unfortunately the two Spacers required for the early models were not supplied resulting in both Left and Right Bars fouling the fairings. The R/H Bar also touches the Radiator Hose. (Apparently later R1200RT models had a thicker engine casing where the Bars mate with it).

The Aussie agent and Illium have since parted ways and I have had no response from Illium in the US despite send a number of emails re availablity or the specs. of the Spacers so that I can get a pair machined here.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Spacers (i.e.-how thick they are) or where I might obtain them from in the States?

Any info would be much appreciated as I have an $800.00 (Australian-about  two Dollars US!!) set of Bars I can't use.

Thanks.

Mine also has the interference with the hose.  I also understand that they also had a rubbing issue on rear bars.  Not sure if that has been resolved.  I'd say their designers need to do better but it's my understanding that they are gone and the company is now just a machine shop and they don't have a bike for reference.  I spoke to them when installing their bar backs which required renting special tools for installation.  Nice people, but not really familiar with our bikes.  I think they are just making and selling parts per the previous owners specs.  So... regarding the hose,  I don't think there is much if any relative motion between the bar and the hose from vibration,  but I did put a dab of plumbers silicone grease at the point of interference to minimize potential friction.  Bars were put on by previous owner at bike purchase and it has 14K miles with no issues.  I did find that the Ilium machine shop people answered their phone when called or returned calls, so I would try that for the spacers question.  Just don't expect them to know much of anything about your bike. 

Illium works is not the same company after the sell.  Bought a set of crash bars for my 22 RT. Took forever to get them and the fit sucked. No more for me...

Hi All,

Thanks for the imput.

I chose Illium after a lot of research...and still snafued! 

Machine shop is an option but still need to know the thickness of the spacers- a bit expensive to get them to manufactur via trial and error.

Might just use a bunch of washers till I get it right and then measure them and get spacers made to suit.

Really appreciate everyones imput. Will let you know how I go.....might take a while.

Mike

No worries, mate.   Sorry for your issue.   I will take a closer look at mine and try to measure what I can without disassembly; mine are not in orginal condition due to the numerous drops I have encountered.  Not to go into to much detail, but one of those was pretty severe at low speed going out of the driveway.  When I took a peek at mine yesterday, I discovered how close the r/s bar was to a part of the body panel.   To be certain would you snap a photo of the affected area in question so that I know where to look specifically?   It could me a matter of sourcing a bushing over the washer idea.

Not sure if you have anything similar on your continent, but I have used this a few times to find hardware not found locally.   https://www.mcmaster.com/   

Geekmaster

I have the Ilium bars on my 2014 and they work great, but I got them before all the company changes. If you can upload a photo of the exact spot you’re referring to, I can try to get a measurement for you.

• Like 1

I would use washers to gauge how thick the spacer needs to be, then try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Spacer-Lengths-Spacers-Online/dp/B09NN5MYFY/ref=asc_df_B09NN5MYFY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=692875362841&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13688546747872661539&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003941&hvtargid=pla-2281435176858&psc=1&mcid=1475bcf3c27e3160946f89a6efaa5e85&hvocijid=13688546747872661539-B09NN5MYFY-&hvexpln=73

They come in various assortments that work with the M8 studs and if one of their sizes doesn't fit perfectly you can cut one down to size.  This could be done with a hack saw, but best to have a friend with a lathe do it so the surfaces are flat and parallel.  Ilium's silence makes me wonder if the answer is they don't know. 

On 9/14/2024 at 2:02 PM, wbw6cos said:

Wow.   Did not know that about ilium works.   Thanks y'all.

WOW ... I did not know the company was sold either.  Bummer and they made good stuff and were great guys. 

• Plus 1 1
MichiganBob

Glad it's being resolved. I have their engine guards, bag guards, highway pegs and kickstand extender. All high quality and perfect fit on my 18 RT. Hope new owners maintain the high quality and fine customer service. Might need a little time for their learning curve.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

Hope new owners maintain the high quality and fine customer service. Might need a little time for their learning curve.

Well they haven't thus far and have owned the company for at least 18 months. They have had plenty of time to figure this out.  

• Like 2

Hi Scotto,

Thanks for that. I did email Beverly a long while ago but have not heard back so appreciate your help.

Thanks again for everyone's imput.

Once I have this bit sorted, I think I am still going to have an issue with the Radiator Hose fouling the Bars. Not sure how Plumbers Grease will go over long distance but thought I might try some sort of foam tubing. Doesn't touch by much but would imagine any interference at all will cause an issue at some point. (I'm with Henny Penny-the sky WILL fall on my head eventually.

MichiganBob
15 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Well they haven't thus far and have owned the company for at least 18 months. They have had plenty of time to figure this out.

I thought it was more recent. A year and a half these days is more like a decade for a small business,

After much deliberation (and a huge amount of self control regarding the use  of sledge hammers, explosives, shot guns etc)I have come to the conclusion that the cross bar is just wrong. One bent end is actually around 20mm longer than the other but cannot tell if that's how it should be or not, taking into account that the engine cylinders are of course not aligned.(My brain now hurts).

If I bolt everything up, the R/H bar is pulled far too far forward, not only fouling the Radiator Hose but also the plastic cover. It also looks totally out of any sort of allignment with the Lefthand bar.

Removing the Crossbar seems to stop all the interference while keeping all the mounting surfaces flush with each other. As soon as I mount the Crossbar-SNAFU.

Soooo, am going to get another crosspiece fabricated a bit longer (or maybe just cut this one in half and put a sleeve in the middle and just see if that works).

Sounds a bit drastic but can see no other way to sort it.

Will let you know how it goes.

I feel your pain MOD.  Many calls to Ilium with promises to send me a drawing and I still have nothing.  Beverly said they don't make those bars for the 1200s any more, so I assume the knowledge has left the building.  I agree that the bar length will need to be addressed by you.  I wouldn't worry too much about the hose interference.  Coolant hoses are typically made from EPDM which is also used in tires, fan belts and other high stress applications.  It is seeing a high temperature, but I don't think it will fail with the small deflection we are talking about.  

This just came in from Beverly at Ilium:

Below are the dimensions for the spacer. 

ID - 0.34in

OD - 0.73in

Thick - 0.23in 

Regards,

Beverly Larsen

Ilium Works / Accutronix / Headwinds

623-516-9600

She may also be able to sort out the bar length question for you.  It sounds like they still have drawings. 

• Like 1

Question .... has there been similar issues with the rear sidecase proctor bars from Illium Works?   Or is that production still consistent? 

Yeah I do recall the “rubbing” issue but I never had any issues and that was before sale of the company.  I actually discussed that with John at one of the MOA Rallies.  I know they made changes to resolve any potential issues.

Was wondering if any actual fit issues with new owners on rear guards.   They’d be my first purchase if I upgrade to a newer RT.

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Yeah I do recall the “rubbing” issue but I never had any issues and that was before sale of the company.  I actually discussed that with John at one of the MOA Rallies.  I know they made changes to resolve any potential issues.

Was wondering if any actual fit issues with new owners on rear guards.   They’d be my first purchase if I upgrade to a newer RT.

That's good to know Ed.  Haven't heard any issues with fit and people seem to like them.  I may add them to mine now that the rub has been addressed. 

Stresspuppy

I love my bars but did have a rubbing issue of the rear bar mount to the drive shaft housing. Just a little but enough to leave a mark if you hit a big hole or something that fully compressed the suspension. I contacted the new owners and they told me to just put in spacers/washers. It seemed to be just 1-2 mm needed but I felt adding the space between the bar mounting point and the frame would reduce the stability/strength a little so I shaved the backside edge to remove the hard corner and make it a bit of an increase of thickness from the bottom edge upward. It's only on the back so you can't see it and then I covered it with some paint to keep it from rusting. I just did it a week or so ago so I don't have a full report yet but I heard someone else shaved theirs so I thought I would give it a try.

Good to know.  Curious if they actually addressed the problem or just also adding washers for the new ones... for what these bars cost, I would expect them to fit without washer intervention.  

Stresspuppy

I can’t say for sure but I thought this happened in early versions and it was corrected in later batches. I would think there would be a lot of people talking/complaining about this if it was widespread. But I’m mostly guessing here so don’t quote me on it. 😉

Thanks Scotto336,

The Spacer sizes sounds about spot on. I have used a couple of washers that add up to about that.

I have everything assembled. Added about 12mm (1/2" roughly to the bar, welded and painted it but the tolerances between the engine casing and cross bar seem pretty cost.

Would appreciate the bar dimentions if possible. Also info on Bar length (and availability) as it looks to me like the cross bar angle sections, (now that I have added the 12mm) should be a bit longer.

Still have slight interference between Radiator Hose, Side panel and Bars but now a lot better. Will use a bit of Braided sleeve to sort that-thanks 92 Merc.

Thanks again to everyone. I know I sound a little pedantic but I like things right.

Suggest calling Beverly for this.  I've already called many times re: spacer dimensions.  

Beverly Larsen

Ilium Works / Accutronix / Headwinds

623-516-9600

They do have a toll free number but never got thru to a person on that.  May be worth a try.

Toll Free: 888-431-6669

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the specs Scotto336.

Got a couple of spacers made and fitted everything up. All good though the crossbar is pretty close the the engine. About 6-8mm clearance but should be OK.

Used a couple of bits of adhesive backed high density foam to protect the Radiator Hose and side covers and all seems OK after a quick run the the local liquor store (to calm my shattered nerves-that's my excuse anyway).

Thanks for everyones imput.

HOWEVER.... some time back I purchased a set of Ilium Works rear bars from Sierra BMW and have only just fitted them due to the ongoing issues with the engine bars.

I'm not sure who or what I have upset in a previous life but one side had a crossthreaded and broken Allen Bolt and the L/H side Bar is bent about 10mm forward of the R/H one!!!!

Tim at Sierra has been very understanding and has offered to give a part-refund which I greatly appreciate (not sure how to arrange it but we will sort it). The original box they came in had "returned" written on it but of course, I did  not see that until after I had fitted them and the time delay and large freight charges to and from Australia make it impractible to return them .

Am on it. I will not be beaten, not yet anyway.

11 hours ago, MOD said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the specs Scotto336.

Got a couple of spacers made and fitted everything up. All good though the crossbar is pretty close the the engine. About 6-8mm clearance but should be OK.

Used a couple of bits of adhesive backed high density foam to protect the Radiator Hose and side covers and all seems OK after a quick run the the local liquor store (to calm my shattered nerves-that's my excuse anyway).

Thanks for everyones imput.

HOWEVER.... some time back I purchased a set of Ilium Works rear bars from Sierra BMW and have only just fitted them due to the ongoing issues with the engine bars.

I'm not sure who or what I have upset in a previous life but one side had a crossthreaded and broken Allen Bolt and the L/H side Bar is bent about 10mm forward of the R/H one!!!!

Tim at Sierra has been very understanding and has offered to give a part-refund which I greatly appreciate (not sure how to arrange it but we will sort it). The original box they came in had "returned" written on it but of course, I did  not see that until after I had fitted them and the time delay and large freight charges to and from Australia make it impractible to return them .

Am on it. I will not be beaten, not yet anyway.

WOW ... you certainly have had a bad run of luck.   Hope you get the rear bars all sorted out.   A riding buddy of mine recently acquired a 2018 RT and fitted up the rear bag guards and all worked out fine so it sounds like your rear bar issue may be more Sierra BMW related than a  manufacturer issue.   Good luck and hope all works out.  My experience with Sierra has been very good so they should make it right for you.