IGNORED

2025 CFMOTO IBEX 450 MT Test Ride Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2025 CFMOTO IBEX 450 MT Review intro

I used to think my BMW R 80 G/S was a big bike for off-road adventures. Nevertheless, it took me on some gnarly routes around the world, notably into Saudi Arabia before motorcycle travel was a thing there.

In the years since those Beemer-based adventures, I’d moved on to a Yamaha Super Tenere—a very heavy bike, at 575 lb. wet. And being heavy was true throughout the entire class. Even the leader of the segment when I bought the Super Ten, the BMW R1200 GS, wasn’t far behind at around 540 lb.

Big bikes have many advantages for long-distance riders, especially those who live off them for months or even years, but off-road usability is not their strong point. I love my big bike, but there were plenty of times when all that weight made me nervous. After traveling solo over some 168K miles, loaded to the gills on remote roads in deteriorating conditions… well, sometimes common sense got the better of me, and I had to turn around. Or I’d keep going, with heart-in-mouth and sometimes butt-on-the-ground. A lighter motorcycle would have been less stressful, and I would have visited more remote places.

There were times when I longed for my “lightweight” R 80 G/S. And I’ve often wondered, with all the advances in materials, design, and technology, why no manufacturer has made a motorcycle that matched the weight and attitude of that old BMW. Or did they choose not to? Even BMW hasn’t been able to match the 50 hp/410 lb. combo of the old airhead in their later twin-cylinder bikes (with the exception of the rare HP2 Enduro).

BMW R80

When the Yamaha T7 rumors started flying, I wondered if it might be my ideal adventure bike. But it was a bit heavy, didn’t have the range (in the original incarnation), and had tubed tires. Some off-road purists say, “Tubes are better for off-road.” I’m not one of them; give me tubeless and 15-minute puncture repairs every time. And I don’t care about dropping tire pressures, looking for the last bit of traction. So, no, it wasn’t the bike I was looking for.

My ideal adventuring motorcycle had to be reliable, comfortable for long distances, about the same weight as the R 80 G/S, around 50 hp, and have a decent range. It should be okay offroad. A shaft drive would be nice but a bit silly in reality—mainly because chains these days last a long time and are easy to maintain. If it were more compact than the BMW, that would be a bonus, something that shouldn’t be difficult; all they’d have to do is make a parallel twin and leave out the horizontal cylinders.

The original Royal Enfield Himalayan was heavy while making only 24 hp, and although their new 450 has more power, it also wasn’t what I was looking for. The KTM 390 Adventure is more muscular at 43 hp but is lacking power off the bottom. It’s light and physically small; however, it's not great for a big guy like me who carries too much gear.

• Enter the dragon!

I’ve been watching Chinese bikes over the last decade, and they’ve improved dramatically in quality, performance, and design. They’re also building a full range of styles, from “postie” bikes to grand tourers. The thing to note here is that European and Japanese manufacturers have been building engines and parts in China for some time. The big guys may come to regret their chase for short-term profit. Still, thanks to them, Chinese manufacturers now have everything they need to build better machines, which are now spilling into market segments previously the domain of the Euro and Japanese players. Association with premium brands gives the Chinese the credibility they’ve been missing, and they can now offer well-made bikes at much lower cost. Political and economic concerns about buying motorcycles (or anything) from China is another topic. We’re only concerned with the product itself here.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride 2

To top it off, they’ve just started manufacturing the motorcycle many of us have been asking for—dubbed “the unicorn bike” by some reviewers. That’s true for me; it’s the one that’s eluded me all these years—the CFMOTO Ibex 450, with weight and power figures that are very close to the R 80 G/S, but tastefully modernized with a silky-smooth engine, only essential electronics, and long-distance comfort.

So, is the Ibex 450 (the 450MT in the rest of the world) actually a good motorcycle or merely just a good idea? Either way, it will sell like hotcakes and may inspire other manufacturers to get with it and enter the middle-weight ADV market. They’ve sold one to me, and I have to say it’s extremely tasty!

But even before the first ride, I found the bike impressive. It’s statuesque compared to the Himalayan 450, and lower than the Yamaha T7. Indeed, it’s low enough for short riders but still okay for taller riders, and there’s a high seat option ($150 or so) for anyone who needs it.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride 1

• A Summary of My First 1,200 Miles

- ENGINE

It wants to rev but doesn’t need to. Plenty of midrange means that in a typical passing situation, you can accelerate briskly from 55 to 80 mph in about seven seconds without changing from 6th gear (32.5 kw/44 hp @ 8,500 rpm, torque 44Nm/32.5 ft.-lb. @ 6,250). This engine is smooth, flexible, and fun, but a software update (done via the app) would be the ultimate fix. The gearbox is slick, the clutch is light, and while some say it lacks feel and that it’s difficult to find the take-up point, I didn’t experience that. Gearing seems a little low on the road, but the 15-tooth front sprocket knocks 400 RPM off at 60 mph. The exhaust note is something else—it’s a 270° parallel twin like my NC750X, and Tenere—but neither get the blood flowing the way the 450 does. The 270° twins are designed to mimic a V-twin, and CFMoto surely invested time and money into getting that exhaust note just right.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride engine

- FUEL ECONOMY

I’ve done the Olhao to Evora, Portugal, run many times on the NC750X; it’s a mix of sporty riding and some straight, boring highway. The NC is probably the most economical big bike around, and for that trip I get 58 U.S. mpg (71 U.K.). The MT is slightly less at 55 U.S. mpg (66 U.K.). It didn’t seem to matter that I was treating it fairly gently on the outward journey or going a bit quicker on the way back; consumption was the same. The onboard fuel calculations are very accurate, and it tells me I’ve averaged 56 mpg over the first 1,200 miles.

- AESTHETICS

It’s in the eye of the beholder, of course, but to me, CFMOTO has built a package that’s not only pretty but practical. The high mudguard gives it a more off-road look, but since I’m unlikely to be riding much mud, that will be swapped for the low guard when available.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride metal

- CREATURE COMFORTS

The seat is pretty comfortable, if a little hard, but perhaps a little low for me. Swapping to the higher seat with more padding should solve both issues. The TFT screen is bright and easy to read, with selectable layout options and works well with the CFMOTO ride app. Information in the app is quite comprehensive, from fuel remaining, to route tracking, and the bike’s current location (the app can be set up to alert you if the bike is moved). Software updates can be done via the app. All this is a great innovation, especially at this price point. Mercedes, for example, charges a subscription of $200/yr. for similar functionality.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride screen

Mirrors are the best I’ve seen. They are large and clear, with a good view of the road behind. To top it off, they fold inward for protection during off-road riding. This is nothing new, but I believe it’s the first time on a production bike.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride mirror

There are many small touches that you wouldn’t necessarily expect on an inexpensive motorcycle. For example, the footpegs are nice and wide and grippy, with removable rubber inserts; tips of both the gear change and rear brake pedals are folded to reduce the chance of damage. The paint finish, castings, and welds are impeccable, and the electrics are very tidy.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride footpeg

- SUSPENSION, HANDLING, BRAKES

At my 220 lb., I was expecting to find the suspension a little soft. Au contraire! It’s on the firm side. There’s lots of adjustability, so I have no doubt I’ll be able to get it dialed in, but I’m going to leave it for a while.

Handling on the twisty N2 was light and accurate. The bike reminded me that I’m on dual-sport tires; the front let go for a split second while trail-braking to the apex of a corner (and recovered quickly). This road is perfect for a CFMoto 450SS (the sport bike version of the 450MT), but for now, the MT is a ton of fun.

The brakes were quite wooden at first, to be expected on a brand-new bike. Thankfully, they were fine once bedded in. The single disc is enough to handle the weight of this small-sized machine.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride brake

Overall, I am very impressed. Some have called this bike a “mini T7,” which it kinda is, but it has things the T7 doesn’t (tubeless tires, for example). At $6,499 (vs. $11K for the T7) it’s better value as long as the reliability holds up. The basics for a great all-around adventure bike are there, but we’ll have to see where it goes.

2025CFMOTO IBEX450MT Test Ride final

MSRP: $6,499

CFMOTOusa.com

Trevor Angel portraitTrevor Angel grew up in Australia, where he traveled extensively on a variety of BMW motorcycles, as well as racing a Ducati 900s and Yamaha TZ30s. A job as a dental technician took him to Saudi Arabia for four years, which he explored on an R80 G/S. Later, he moved to the U.S., working in Washington D.C., and making the switch to various Japanese sport-touring and adventure bikes. He chose the then-new Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 for an entirely unintentional eight-year trip around the world, covering 72 countries before settling in Portugal in 2022. A new country and new circumstances require a different kind of bike, and the CFMoto Ibex 450 may be the one!

Read more ...

View the full article