IGNORED

Is this real? (R1300RT)

profbodryak

John Ranalletta
8 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Is it? 😳

Screenshot_20240923_221806_Opera.jpg

IMO, the designer kids at BMW be watchin' too many transformer movies.

• Plus 1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, taylor1 said:

Like all the great visionaries, I like it  :lurk:

I’m going to go as far as to say (as nice as the current RT is) this new design is going to be wildly popular (especially with the ASA optioned trans).

I would say it's pretty close for sure.  The new GS I sat on this summer was quite a bit narrower than the outgoing model.  So I'm sure BMW had to do something to change up the profile of the RT.

It was rumored the red "flap" where the BMW side logo is movable.  Stays tucked in until highway speeds.  Bags look narrow.  Rumored those will be expandable also.  They need to hold a full faced helmet for sure.

Jeff Dean photo

This jump reminds me of the change from the 2004 R 1150 RT onto the 2005 R 1200 RT. I’m not suggesting everyone will see this, just my initial thoughts.

image.jpeg.fede5179938c01b95c0bd5adf67b49bf.jpeg

• Plus 1 2
1 hour ago, 92Merc said:

It was rumored the red "flap" where the BMW side logo is movable.

Does it move off the bike to be replaced with something that looks good?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I never cared for the look of the "double throat" look for the oil cooler.  Wasn't hideous to me.  Just not a fan.

I think the water cooled was a big improvement.  The LED of the 2020's was even better.

I think that's a part of what throws me off a bit with the potential R1300RT picture.  We're so used to seeing larger headlights.  Those small ones distort our expectation.

Speaking of LED's, are those strips now the spot lights?  Or is the center pod the main headlight?  The www.motorradonline.de had that center part taped over.  So I didn't think it would be a headlight.  But now that I see a potential colored photo, it seems it may be the main headlight.

1 minute ago, Hosstage said:

Does it move off the bike to be replaced with something that looks good?

No.  Some references were made to another European bike that has a movable flap for aerodynamics.  From https://www.motorradonline.de/tourer/bmw-r1300rt/

And translated from German.

Electrically adjustable flaps front on the fairing

We had suspected that the BMW R 1300 RT – as the first BMW – to be electrically adjustable trim elements. A corresponding BMW patent has long been available, although in conjunction with the GS, it has not yet been implemented for the R 1300 GS. Now for the BMW R 1300 RT. On the Erlkönig photos, the lateral "flaps" on the fairing front are quite clearly recognizable as such. Especially since on closer inspection, because above these attached cladding parts a mechanism can be seen at each time. This means that the BMW R 1300 RT probably extends the flaps by a few centimetres or rein in them, for wind protection that is further optimised and adapted to the speed. In a similar form we already know this from the Moto Guzzi V 100 Mandello."

2 minutes ago, 92Merc said:

Or is the center pod the main headlight? 

I would say yes, a projector style headlight. Or possibly the high beam light. :dontknow:

A couple of spyshot pics of the test mule that look pretty close to the above magazine article.  I'm guessing the lower half of the windshield will be clear like the magazine mock up and not like this test mule.

Screenshot2024-09-24at15-32-04PowerDriftIsitjustusordoesthisprototypeBMWlooklikeaTransformerTheBMWR1300RTwillbethefirstluxurytouringmotorcyclewithaInstagram.png.9ecbeeb49ec2f4096a7882701fc1ae5e.png

Screenshot2024-09-24at15-32-22PowerDriftIsitjustusordoesthisprototypeBMWlooklikeaTransformerTheBMWR1300RTwillbethefirstluxurytouringmotorcyclewithaInstagram.png.ab99ac440921d22470db9a2db9c28eae.png

Every time I go back and look at that first picture the bike gets uglier.

I did not grow up with Transformers, I've not watched any of the movies. I'm not attracted to a bike that looks like one of them. I hear the transformer special effect noise when I look at it, waiting for it to stand up and grow arms.

fourteenfour

Well I was considering the RT as I hoped it would sport the same lowering suspension features as the GS but to be blunt, that looks like shit.  I will hope that its just poor photoshop of the obviously disguised mule that was seen.  To me the 96 was always so damn nice, did not care much for the revisions later but I did own I think one of every style on the way up. always felt the 14+ generation looked like they scaled the front up too much

as for previous generations

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/6_BMW_RT_Generations.jpg

• Plus 1 1

Why can't they go back to the retro look like the car folks have done, like Charger, Carmaro, Bronco, and such as the like?   Just give it the 1100/1150 styling and give it the Shift Cam motor.   :dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 4
profbodryak
On 9/24/2024 at 10:57 AM, TEWKS said:

Jeff Dean photo

This jump reminds me of the change from the 2004 R 1150 RT onto the 2005 R 1200 RT. I’m not suggesting everyone will see this, just my initial thoughts.

image.jpeg.fede5179938c01b95c0bd5adf67b49bf.jpeg

I can relate as when the LC RT first came out, I didn't like it. But this 1300 has way too many straight edges. Maybe it will build on me. Maybe not... 

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 9/23/2024 at 10:20 PM, profbodryak said:

Is it? 😳

Screenshot_20240923_221806_Opera.jpg

The text reads:

"Even though the GS trail has taken with the ascendancy in terms of sales, BMW is determined to perpetuate its RT range.  The 1300 will therefore be there in 2025, with a latest-generation flat, the famous ASA assisted transmission (optional) and a slightly more compact body, if we are to believe the recent photos of a prototype caught in the testing phase."

The key word there is "prototype", so the visual appearance in that photo means nothing.  We're probably looking at covers over most of the actual bodywork.

More pics/news here:

https://amcn.com.au/editorial/spied-2025-bmw-r-1300-rt/

I’m still trying to figure out the NEW GSA. One angle it’s not bad, others it’s totally ludicrous! Example, the big silver attachment panels in front of the fuel tank. The big giant openings on each side for the cooling fans. 🤮 Point, being a GSA wannabe here, I’ve been let down. :P 

Now, I guess the RT guys get some disappointment of their own! :classic_biggrin:

I do think we are seeing the actual bike with this picture, At least by comparing it to the spy shots shown. Now the kicker, I like it, go figure! :ohboy:

edit 

I added a picture to illustrate my GSA gripes. The Starbucks logo was edited off the cup for copyright concerns. :read: :spittake:

IMG_6207.thumb.jpeg.ce8549710b012e6a255dd6440efcc407.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

I’m still trying to figure out the NEW GSA. One angle it’s not bad, others it totally ludicrous! Example, the big silver attachment panels in front of the fuel tank. The big giant openings on each side for the cooling fans. 🤮 Point, being a GSA, wannabe here, I’ve been let down. :P 

Now, I guess the RT guys get some disappointment of their own! :classic_biggrin:

I do think we are seeing the actual bike with this picture, At least by comparing it to the spy shots shown. Now the kicker, I like it, go figure! :ohboy:

Killer deals right now on new 24 1250 GSAs.  Get one before they are gone.  The new GSA is just horrible looking.  And its going to be 30k+.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DonB said:

Killer deals right now on new 24 1250 GSAs.

Hi Don, what’s the best “off list” you’ve come across? Max was $1,250 off list about a month ago. Haven’t been back to the shop since. 

Bruno From Québec

That is horrible! BMW is really going all out with the ugly! Like with their cars.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Hi Don, what’s the best “off list” you’ve come across? Max was $1,250 off list about a month ago. Haven’t been back to the shop since. 

5k ish here:

https://bmwmoc.com/Showroom/New-In-Stock-BMW?sd_digadprov=sd&sd_channel=search&sd_campaign_type=AdWords&sd_digadid=686466711112&sd_digadcid=14430015534&sd_digadkeyword=buy bmw adventure motorcycle&sd_location=9015855&sd_placement=&sd_matchtype=b&sd_device=c&sd_targetid=kwd-1432759836151&sd_campaign=BMW001|GG|US|BMW|ADVE|BRND&sd_adgroup=Adventure+Brand&sd_network=g&gbraid=0AAAAADqUA-mo9C1uELY41xblXU_AF_QGq&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjNS3BhChARIsAOxBM6qwBRQ4Dz5KFau0Ly88lN_qfpY5lPRU7o31cnaRMLBbZKdSay9e4ZwaAiY6EALw_wcB

Pick your color!

This is where I bought mine a couple of months ago when the EZ ride incentive was about 1/2 of what it is now.  Very easy transaction.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, it's hideous. Looks like a cyclops. BMW is going backwards. Did they put Chris Bangle in charge of motorcycles? Remember that guy? Ha ha.

F16Viper68

The radar is really an eye sore on both the GS and the new RT.  These bikes have never been beautiful but lord almighty are they trying to keep up with the Harley Pan-America?  "You think that's ugly?!!  Well hold my stein!".  

Dave...

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I never use radar cruise in my cars, and will NEVER use it on a motorcycle. It should have been a stand alone option that hopefully no dealer would order. Ha ha. That's why I'm not remotely interested in 'upgrading' my 2020 R bike. I don't need any more crap (it's fully optioned), nor more power. It's just more stuff to go wrong. If I want to go touring, will take my upcoming '25 Cayman with a proper 6MT manual tranny. Ha ha.

fourteenfour
13 hours ago, JCtx said:

I never use radar cruise in my cars, and will NEVER use it on a motorcycle. It should have been a stand alone option that hopefully no dealer would order. Ha ha. That's why I'm not remotely interested in 'upgrading' my 2020 R bike. I don't need any more crap (it's fully optioned), nor more power. It's just more stuff to go wrong. If I want to go touring, will take my upcoming '25 Cayman with a proper 6MT manual tranny. Ha ha.

traffic aware cruise control makes commuting so much less stressful and the type my Tesla has makes any driving situation simpler should I choose.  That being said I really do not trust similar technology on a motorcycle because I really do not want to experience a false alert that leads to an emergency braking action.

Radar cruise control is frigging awesome. Didn't think I would like it but it is flawless in operation. Only change i would like to see is the ability to disconnect with the clutch. With the radar cruise you can shift gears with disconnecting the cruise function.

How do you eat your double quarter pounder with extra cheese or ANY Taco Bell stuff without radar cruise control?  Go back to knee driving,.....ya, that's better:classic_biggrin:

• Smile 2
  • Haha 2
43 minutes ago, fourteenfour said:

traffic aware cruise control makes commuting so much less stressful and the type my Tesla has makes any driving situation simpler should I choose.  That being said I really do not trust similar technology on a motorcycle because I really do not want to experience a false alert that leads to an emergency braking action.

Teslas encounter a lot of false EABs and need constant attention. The image based AI processing is what causes false EAB situations. Misidentified potholes, road repair, small road debris or even a dead animal. It has come on numerous times for me but I've been quick to get back on the gas as I never take my eyes off the road.

As to radar cruise control on motorcycles, I hate it. My Mazda CX-50 is the first car I've owned with it and it works perfectly but slows me down and it's not my driving style. I'd rather stay on cruise, change the lane and continue than slow down and hope the car ahead picks up speed. Besides that, motorcycles are even faster at lane changes, so this feature is completely useless for my driving style.

8 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

When I use to bang gears (big trucks) I was pretty good at that! :classic_biggrin:

I do remember driving a 4-speed Impala while eating a burger, fries and balancing a soda.......... ah those carefree teenage years:rofl:

• Plus 1 2
1 hour ago, AviP said:

Teslas encounter a lot of false EABs and need constant attention. The image based AI processing is what causes false EAB situations. Misidentified potholes, road repair, small road debris or even a dead animal. It has come on numerous times for me but I've been quick to get back on the gas as I never take my eyes off the road.

As to radar cruise control on motorcycles, I hate it. My Mazda CX-50 is the first car I've owned with it and it works perfectly but slows me down and it's not my driving style. I'd rather stay on cruise, change the lane and continue than slow down and hope the car ahead picks up speed. Besides that, motorcycles are even faster at lane changes, so this feature is completely useless for my driving style.

This topic came up last year (or a couple years ago, time flies) and a member here said that he really liked the radar cruise on his bike, it worked well for him, even in group riding.

Personally I'm not a fan, I've used it in the car and it is just too choppy for me. I also find myself lagging behind a slower car for far too long because I'm not actively engaged like I am with regular cruise.

54 minutes ago, AviP said:

My Mazda CX-50 is the first car I've owned with it and it works perfectly but slows me down and it's not my driving style. I'd rather stay on cruise, change the lane and continue than slow down and hope the car ahead picks up speed.

My Toyotas have both radar and conventional, constant speed, cruise control.   Constant speed is best for interstates, changing lanes as necessary,  using the lever to bump the speed up/down a couple mph if needed to time my lane changes into the passing lane gaps, or get out of the way of faster traffic.

But on a two lane highway, or in heavy traffic, where passing is rare or impossible, radar cruise is a much better choice. 

If I had not actually read the owners manual I would not have known I still had  the constant speed option. Tap the button to turn on cruise and you get radar mode. The long press to activate constant speed mode was not obvious.

• Like 1