IGNORED

Buying a 2019 police bike

Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto

My beloved “Natasha” ‘13 RT has been totaled by a deer. Looking for her replacement and found a ‘19 RTP with 15k miles. This was a local police fleet bike so I would imagine it underwent meticulous maintenance.Is there any reason not to consider a used police bike? Any particular issues to look out for? I would prefer a non police bike but the low mileage and $14k price are in my ball park.

Something to keep in mind, police bikes are rarely warmed up and are ridden hard on a cold start either going to radio calls or chasing down a violator.  On the plus side though, you know the service was always done.  They also tend to ride them over terrain you wouldn't, such as over curbs.  If its an agency where the officers train a lot, the bike has probably been on its a side a few times during slow speed, cone pattern training.  The tip over bars should've protected the plastic in low speed tip overs.  Older police bikes can have wiring issues with added on safety equipment or radios, but a 2019 RTP comes stock with the emergency equipment and wiring for radios so that shouldn't be a problem with that bike.

Police bikes have a very rough life, so unless there was nothing else available, or a super deal, and you don't care about that, I'd wait for something better. And from a private seller (if it's the original owner, all the better). Dealer bikes can also be abused, and sit under the elements for weeks or even months. Good luck.

I don't know if police bikes are any better serviced just because they belonged to a law enforcement agency so I'd ask if maintenance records are available. Have you seen the bike in person? Does it look abused or does it look like its in good condition? Is the bike from a agency in a large city or a smaller metropolitan area? Where did the bike spend the first 15000 miles of it's life? If in a area with changing seasons maybe it was only used 5 or 6 months out of the year like most bikes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a RTP but first I'd do my homework before laying any money on the counter. I'd also check www.cycletrader.com and search BMW R1200/1250RT's and see what comes up in your price range before deciding on a RTP. A buddy bought a RTP and while he hasn't rode it much he hasn't experienced any mechanical problems and his bike had over 50k miles when he bought it.

Rossy GlosPolBiker

It does depend on the policy in the Police Dept, some have a “1 Officer-1 bike” policy, others every Motor Officer is allowed to ride any bike. 
As others have said, you can check the maintenance records hopefully & view the bike yourself. 
The mileage is quite low, certainly over here we don’t take our bikes from the fleet at such a low mileage, but that again depends on the Dept concerned. 
My bike was well looked after, ridden hard yes (using the complete rev range but “warmed up” at the start of the day, but cared for & washed at the end of each shift. The service schedules were adhered too, tyres changed when needed (our minimum tread was 3mm). 
I’m sure you’ll love the bike, I have a 2019 RT myself. 
Keep on the black stuff 🏍️😎👍