IGNORED

Torque Specs

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

Where can I find the basic torque specifications for my 2023 R1250RT?  Second question, for the basics, what is a decent torque wrench that will suffice for doing my own work?  Nothing special, I won't be doing any valve adjustments or any "heavy" work.

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Where can I find the basic torque specifications for my 2023 R1250RT?

User/owner manual, at least for the more common stuff, such as wheel removal.

As for the torque wrench, I have several of the old "click" type in various drive sizes with the twist grip for setting the values.  Sometimes they can be very confusing to set properly.  Then about four years ago I went to Horrible Freight and picked up a Quinn digital 3/8" drive torque wrench that is my GO TO tool now.  It will read in SAE or metric, plus it has a "Degrees" setting for stretch bolts and screws.  It has a backlit little screen, indicator and warning lights, and an audible beeper for "almost" and "there". Zero problems so far.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-5-100-ft-lb-digital-angle-torque-wrench-64915.html 

image.png.ad0c26bf33ab6864a561d81b04faaaa5.png

Also picked up a set of short impact adapters to be able to use 1/2" and 1/4" drive sockets and driver bits on this wrench and my impact gun.

You might consider a torque adapter to save a few $ and space in the tool box:

image.png.941136342253b15d4f9298affbd4fdc1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Steveyacht

Thank you all for responding. Both of the PDF Files were exactly what I was hoping for when I posted.

S

Steveyacht
18 hours ago, Stiggy said:

As to torque wrenches, I asked Brad / Boxflyer what he uses about a year ago and here was his recommendation.

It works as advertised and didn't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DGPFC1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Thank you!  I just ordered one from the Big A.  After your recommendation, I looked around for the same or similar tools.  The exact same item is advertised from $68.88 to over $120.00.  I got lucky, there was an unexpected price reduction on check out, $48.00 was the final price!  Yippee.

I would use great caution with these Chinese torque wrenches.  I have one of those adaptors and it's not even close to correct.  A total POS. If you do use one, please be sure to check it at multiple settings before using it on your bike.  better yet, buy a known brand made in USA or Germany.  You can find bargains on used ones on eBay if you can't afford a new one.  Even then, I check them.  It's easy to do with examples on YouTube.  A cheap torque wrench that isn't accurate can quickly do far more damage than the price of a good one. 

Steveyacht
22 minutes ago, Scotto336 said:

I would use great caution with these Chinese torque wrenches.  I have one of those adaptors and it's not even close to correct.  A total POS. If you do use one, please be sure to check it at multiple settings before using it on your bike.  better yet, buy a known brand made in USA or Germany.  You can find bargains on used ones on eBay if you can't afford a new one.  Even then, I check them.  It's easy to do with examples on YouTube.  A cheap torque wrench that isn't accurate can quickly do far more damage than the price of a good one. 

Great advice.  I plan on checking it with one of my Tech's Snap On units. I figure they should be pretty accurate.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I'm also a bit OCD about using a wrench with the right range for the torque I'm looking for.  I suppose this wouldn't be an issue for an electronic wrench that has been tested across the range of desired settings.  I tend to trust the mechanical wrenches more than the electronic ones just because a have a better understanding of how they work, so that's more about my brain than anything scientific.  

torque.jpg

• Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Great advice.  I plan on checking it with one of my Tech's Snap On units. I figure they should be pretty accurate.

Please let me know what you find so I know what (if) to look for!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2024 at 2:24 PM, Stiggy said:

Please let me know what you find so I know what (if) to look for!

I finally got around to checking my new torque wrench to a couple of dial indicator units I borrowed from a tech in our shop.  I used a few random bolts and other fasteners on my Norton as test subjects.  In every case, the three torque wrenches readings were nearly identical.  I know this isn't a very detailed report, but I was happy with the results for the purposes I will be using it for.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2024 at 6:36 AM, Steveyacht said:

I finally got around to checking my new torque wrench to a couple of dial indicator units I borrowed from a tech in our shop.  I used a few random bolts and other fasteners on my Norton as test subjects.  In every case, the three torque wrenches readings were nearly identical.  I know this isn't a very detailed report, but I was happy with the results for the purposes I will be using it for.

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us Steve.

(And Thank You Boxflyer for the great suggestion.):beer: