IGNORED

2024 FART Check-in

MikeB60

Big thanks to @Indy Dave and the BBR crew for another first class event. DyAnne and I pulled in last night after an 11 hour treck back home. Traffic in Charlotte was a mess and there was no power in South Carolina and the few gas stations that had generators had mile long lines. Lots of downed trees. Is it time for START yet?

• Like 10
7 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Is it time for START yet?

I know I should be patient but...was the location announced yet? :whistle:

I made it after all.  Where'd everybody go?  :)

I did see a bear after I left, which was super cool!

20240928_120057.thumb.jpg.633d4c917f70d3e86e70f942430a74c6.jpg

• Like 1

I guess I missed the memo, where did everybody go?

20240929_105524.thumb.jpg.320036cdfa80e0606cf8845a7c59d0de.jpg

20240929_105536.thumb.jpg.32cf6d9c0f9f3d13dedf3e68341e36a6.jpg

And then there were two...

We were laughing because we could have left earlier when everybody else did and it was sunny but nooooo!

20240929_105501.thumb.jpg.816609c2de3fff490f4f96edb6c77ec4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 6
John Ranalletta

We left early Saturday arriving home mid afternoon.  Thanks to all, especially, the organizing committee and @Bernie for inviting Gene and Neda; and, @TyTass for the routes.  They were way cool.

An observation:  I've never seen as many semis on I70 as Saturday.  Unbelievable.  On OH 36, emergency crews were just arriving at a rollover.  Car was upside down and the roof was caved. :(

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
lightcycle
21 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

And then there were two...

We were laughing because we could have left earlier when everybody else did and it was sunny but nooooo!

20240929_105501.thumb.jpg.816609c2de3fff490f4f96edb6c77ec4.jpg

I recall during the presentation there was a mention of:

"Do NOT do what Gene and Neda do!!!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

It was great meeting y'all Gene and Neda.  Sorry for all that rain that moved in from the Sahara Desert; it was a mere coincidence that it arrived at around the time that you did.   :dontknow:

As always, we FARTers managed find a way to make the best of it.   Thanks for your presentation.   It was truly an enlightening and highly entertaining time-out from the rain.

A big shout out to @randy for his Basecamp tutorial; the Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ did not get time to get some fiddlesticks and Uno cards.  You allowed some FARTers to figure route planning in Basecamp, which is nice..   

The routes were great!  @TyTass @Bernie.  Thank you for making them and  having to go through the trouble of riding them first before they get posted.   :grin:

@Boxflyer was in his zone for Wethead Service/repairs and many other brands that had issues crop up.  

A special thanks to @Indy Dave and the talented crew of Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ for making this FART a great smelling one.   

Laura and I made it back to the house without any issues.  Sorry about all the other folks that are coming across bad travel issues.  Be safe!

We had a great time meeting new folks and seeing faces that belong to board names we have yet to encounter!  

5/5 stars.   Will attend again.

(There were no parking citations on Laura's SUV and trailer; we got to Park For FREE!  So we got that going for us, which is nice.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Indy Dave featured and pinned this topic
RandyShields

Chris K and I left at oh dark thirty, avoiding the BRP and side roads due to closures and likely slow going.  While we don't like the interstates, we thought they would be the least likely to have storm debris and should have light traffic, and we were right, other than the 50+ bucket utility trucks heading SW, with at least 20 from Brunswick, Canada!  After cruising down I 81, I 77 and around I 485, Chris peeled off for the always lovely I 85 and the risk of no power or gas at his next stop before Atlanta.  I made it home by 10:50 am, in time for brunch and yard cleanup.

Thanks to the BBRs for some more excellent planning and organization.  Dave D was at his best on Friday night, and we enjoyed Shell gas and Techron engine tutorials from Boxflyer in the lobby.  The routes were outstanding Craig and Bernie, even with a bridge out on the way to New Market! And thanks to Bernie for inviting Gene and Neda to join us.  Their travel presentation was very engaging and a nice diversion from the all-day rain. 

BTW, we were fortunate to have Gene and Neda join us for the Saturday run up to a great lunch at the Swinging Bridge in Paint Bank.  There were many, many laughs as the Cardo's were abuzz with wisecracks. jokes, and comments.  The best one, from Neda, experiencing the Chris Kinney pace for the first time, "if we had ridden like this, we could have done our 7 1/2-year trip in 3 1/2-years!"

Look, forward to seeing everyone in Helen, GA this spring.

Randy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

So.. There I was, minding own business :ohboy: Oh wait, that was yesterday. I better get back on the road. I'm only in Fayetteville, and I have no idea what road @John Ranallettawas mentioning...I-70¿¿??

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
John Ranalletta
9 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

So.. There I was, minding own business :ohboy: Oh wait, that was yesterday. I better get back on the road. I'm only in Fayetteville, and I have no idea what road @John Ranallettawas mentioning...I-70¿¿??

Yep.  I70, Dayton to Indy, IndyDave.  

I rolled in about 3:15 this afternoon, having departed Natural Bridge on Saturday morning. Got wet for a while both days, and some cool temperatures in PA. Border crossing was a breeze, and absolutely no one ahead of me, a rarity. Had a good time despite the rain. Could have been much worse. See you in April!

• Like 8

The Boxflyer trailer rolled into home at 1600 (4PM for Chef Paul) to conclude a 12hr drive. 
Thanks to everyone who helped setup/teardown/make coffee/push bikes on & off the lift/ and a bazillion other things!

I am looking forward to meeting up with as many folks as possible in Helen, GA next spring, so stay safe over the winter!

Brad

• Like 12

Yup …. Easy ride home.  Much like Randy I took the simple 81/77 route.  Very light traffic and just a light mist at one spot…. Not enough to get the bike dirty 😂. Rolled into driveway with a full tank of nonethanol SHELL (I really do pay attention Brad) @Boxflyer :thumbsup: at 12:30! 

Thanks everyone for a wonderful week,  even with rainy weather I had a blast.  And thanks for making my Canadian friends and Dennis feel very welcome.  They really enjoyed it. 

IMG_0786.thumb.jpeg.b47063dd8fd4424e9260610c57e3906b.jpeg

• Like 6

Rolled down to Lower Alabama by 630pm. No issues except my first gas stop was without internet due to lines down and was on cash only.

Thanks again to the BBR's for a great event!! I hope to get my stuff dried out this week:rofl:

• Like 7

Terri & I had a fantastic time, despite the weather. Always great to meet up with new folks as well as long time friends and attendees. Just so many great people! Thanks to all for showing up!

So happy that @Twisties and @bullet made the trek back east from Colo! It was a pleasure riding with you guyyou Enjoyed finally meeting the "storied" couple ... @lightcycle & Neda. Great folks!

And @Burt, so good to see you and catch up. Glad you drove down.

Thanks to @Indy Dave and the entire crew. It was another great event! 

Thanks to @Bernie and @BMW_Ken for advice and help with the routes.  

• Like 7

Held up in Chillicothe. Not giving up my parking spot to go eat. Lots of folks here who don't have power.

20240929_211404.thumb.jpg.14851069b0ae0d85af48cf9dbac14662.jpg

20240929_212053.thumb.jpg.e3806bb1877ad2b2e3696e5f83538aa5.jpg

• Like 7

A good move , Dave, stay safe and have a good ride home! Christine and I would like to thank you and everyone involved in setting up the rally and rides, it was great fun, regardless of the somewhat crap weather! I myself was kind of out of it, my back pain is getting worse and sometimes even riding doesn't help. Please send prayers for those affected by this storm Helene, it has been even more devastating than originally predicted and my friend Bill, who lives close by Newport, tells me the ENTIRE DOWNTOWN  area has been flooded badly. I'm happy it seems that all the rallygoers from FART are home safely or on their way, hope we get to see y'all in the spring!

• Like 4

@Bullett and I made it to my aunt's place in Rockville with no problems yesterday.  Bailed out of our plan for Skyline Dr. as it was socked in, and went up I-81 to 340 and over to I-270.  Proceeding north in a few days.

• Like 8
12 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Bailed out of our plan for Skyline Dr. as it was socked in, and went up I-81 to 340 and over to I-270

Ah too bad but, you made the right decision. Nothing to see up in the clouds. :classic_mellow:

47 minutes ago, Twisties said:

@Bullett and I made it to my aunt's place in Rockville with no problems yesterday.  Bailed out of our plan for Skyline Dr. as it was socked in, and went up I-81 to 340 and over to I-270.  Proceeding north in a few days.

Absolutely the right move!  Stay safe!!

• Like 1

Hey.... What's the hurry at this point? Downtown Chillicothe is pretty quaint. At least this section. Who knewm

EDIT:  Fun fact.... Chillicothe was the first and third capital of Ohio.

20240930_102412.thumb.jpg.2b75c0ca5ac95b4fe9a526f4186baab7.jpg

• Like 7
Dennis Andress
29 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Oh! It’s in Ohio.

47 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Hey.... What's the hurry at this point? Downtown Chillicothe is pretty quaint. At least this section. Who knewm

Clem Salvatore wrote a piece in Rider once about not rushing getting home and enjoying the ride home as much as the ride out.  So many time folks just bolt for home and fail to enjoy the last day of the trip.  I’ve been guilty of doing the bolt home thing but now in retirement I’m trying to enjoy the last day as much as the first.   Enjoy your coffee Dave and the whole ride home.  I agree …. What’s the hurry?  :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

Downtown Chillicothe is pretty quaint.

My daughter enjoyed several rotations there in her 4th year of medical school. Looked like a cool downtown.

• Like 2

well Andy and I had a nice route planned. We woke up early and checked the weather forecast for Natural Bridge and for Wytheville.  But we missed Fincastle and hit major rain.

so we ended up having a nice first hour, then just hoped on I-81 to the KOA.  As we all know, as soon as you pull over and put on all your rain gear it stops raining.  about 10 miles down I-81 it was sunny and dry  :-)

oh well par for the weekend

We were home in Atlanta safe and sound around 8pm EST

• Like 3
2 hours ago, randy said:

As we all know, as soon as you pull over and put on all your rain gear it stops raining.  about 10 miles down I-81 it was sunny and dry  :-)

This is why I like waterproof breathable gear so much. 

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

We and Matt V got home Sunday afternoon. Some rain up I-81/88 but overall a pretty easy trip. Finally got caught up with everything so I had time to post this. Thank you Indy Dave and the BBR crew for another excellent ART. Looking forward to Helen in the spring.

• Like 4
Bluenoser

We arrived home safely last night, successfully avoided all the hazards.

20240930_140915.jpg.4c86c1a5454f0749f93383953723a739.jpg

20241001_073630.thumb.jpg.81b76646cab685319c32601964dbd0e5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, Bluenoser said:

We arrived home safely last night, successfully avoided all the hazards.

20240930_140915.jpg.4c86c1a5454f0749f93383953723a739.jpg

20241001_073630.thumb.jpg.81b76646cab685319c32601964dbd0e5.jpg

Looks like a "crappy" road!  Would probably make you feel "pooped" after riding it and that would really stink!   

:3:

Glad you made it home safe!   See you in Helen! 

• Haha 4
John Ranalletta
22 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Dave,

For next time this way.  We missed the turn at Teays Valley and took the next exit at Hurricane.  The road from Hurricane to 35 is very cool and not much more time.

image.thumb.png.fa8f73b950b98e0ff4fa397e46cccbca.png

• Like 1
BerettaRacer

Back home in So Fla.

Thanks to all for the work putting on these shin-digs!!

Good to see and chat with the regulars and get some riding in, even if it was less than ideal weather.

Trip home was long with only a few incidents to break things up.

Leaving Nat Br, did 29 to Greensboro, 74 to Charlotte, 85 to Lavonia, then 17/129 arriving at Suches just before dark. Had a few showers, some sun, a low fuel scare at Greenville, with no stations having power. Finally found a tankful to keep me moving.

At Suches got the bike loaded onto the trailer in the rain just as pitch darkness set in.

Towed down the mtn, and down to the south side of Atlanta before checking into hotel.

Monday was just a looong haul south, arriving just before dark.

Most roads/areas were fine with the exception of the Greenville area, and a segment along I-75, the southern most 20 mi of Ga and the northern 20 mi of Fla. That area showed heavy signs of a local intense storm cell.

Looking fwd to START 2025, much closer for me, lol.

F*ck, forgot how hot it is here. Today's heat index, 107 degrees. Brutal trying to unload and cleanup.

• Like 6

Thank you to the crew for all the work putting this event together…and Brad for changing my TPMS’s…..and Chef Paul for allowing me to follow him along some amazing routes………I’ve now been (FARTED).

I left Natural Bridge at 2am while everyone was snoring away and traveled to Alabama to visit a friend.  I then continued a big loop back to the Tulsa area and arrived home yesterday afternoon.  IMG_2835.thumb.jpeg.f8ef47d6f684fb6e2af086d602d3b324.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic

Made it home yesterday.  A great time seeing everyone at FART.  Special thanks to @TN_R_Girl for hosting us and keeping our truck and trailer for the duration.  Also for putting us in touch with @greiffster and @Foot for the ride from TN to Natural Bridge, and thanks to Mike and Alan for route planning and letting us tag along.  You showed us some of the good roads and nice stops.

We went from FART up the coast to see my aging aunt, last of her generation.  My brother and his wife met us there.  Then farther up the coast to see old friends, ending in upstate NY.  Finally, six days to home.  Three still on the bikes back to TN, then three with truck and trailer on slab hell, aka I-40.  

• Like 4