IGNORED

12 volt socket dead

Utazo89

I have tested the 12 volt outlet on the left side for voltage and nothing is there. I need to use this for my phone with an adapter.

How can I troubleshoot this socket?

I have the dvd manual for this model, but it does not say anything about troubleshooting. Only how to remove it.

socket.pdf

12 hours ago, Utazo89 said:

I have tested the 12 volt outlet on the left side for voltage and nothing is there. I need to use this for my phone with an adapter.

How can I troubleshoot this socket?

I have the dvd manual for this model, but it does not say anything about troubleshooting. Only how to remove it.

socket.pdf 140.44 kB · 3 downloads

Morning  Utazo89

What are you working on?  It makes a difference on what to check or what to look at! 

I am not really working on anything. I just wanted to charge my phone from this outlet. 

Using a voltmeter, I could not detect any voltage there, while the engine was running and everything else works.

1 hour ago, Utazo89 said:

I am not really working on anything. I just wanted to charge my phone from this outlet. 

Using a voltmeter, I could not detect any voltage there, while the engine was running and everything else works.

Morning  Utazo89

What motorcycle year & model are you working on?  That is the info we need? 

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Utazo89

What motorcycle year & model are you working on?  That is the info we need? 

Morning  Utazo89

On the K bike the exact year & model can make a BIG difference in the onboard wiring & system functions.

On your K 1300 GT I don't have a 2009 wire diagram handy so all I can offer is a couple of suggestions. 

First, is to make sure the key is turned on (or better yet the engine is running) before testing the accessory socket for power. 

If that doesn't help then look for a blown fuse, it used to be the #13 fuse but I don't that as being confirmed on the 20009 1300. 

Today, I removed the panel of this socket and measured the voltage right at the plug of the wire. There is nothing there. At one position is shows minus 6.2 volts, on the other position shows 0.1 volts. So, nothing is coming out from it.

As of the fuses, there is none. The manual says that each circuit is electronically protected and if something is wrong that circuit is just cut off until it is fixed.

I don't have the wiring diagram either, but I attach a picture of the wiring harness. 

wiring.pdf

dirtrider
9 hours ago, Utazo89 said:

Today, I removed the panel of this socket and measured the voltage right at the plug of the wire. There is nothing there. At one position is shows minus 6.2 volts, on the other position shows 0.1 volts. So, nothing is coming out from it.

As of the fuses, there is none. The manual says that each circuit is electronically protected and if something is wrong that circuit is just cut off until it is fixed.

I don't have the wiring diagram either, but I attach a picture of the wiring harness. 

wirin

g.pdf 134.63 kB · 3 downloads

Morning  Utazo89

You need to measure for voltage "between" the 2 wires going to the accessory outlet (best done with the engine running).

Otherwise you need to look at other things, do you have a rear accessory socket? If so that is on the same circuit as the front so see if you have voltage on that one. 

If nothing on the rear outlet then see if it is shorted to ground or something else hooked to (spliced into) it's wires. 

On the front outlet, a number of riders re-wired those direct to the battery with an in-line fuse so check for that.  

The factory computer controlled accessory outlet had a limited amp output, plus that limited amp output INCLUDED the rear socket. That is the reason the front was re-wired to battery direct by some riders. 

As a rule, when the front accessory socket isn't working (supplying 12v power) it is due to a short to ground in either the front or rear outlet wiring, OR someone has wired it directly to the battery with a fused harness & that fuse is blown.  

If you still have the factory outlet wiring then make sure that the key is turned on (or better yet engine running) when testing for 12v power. 

As I said before, the engine was running at the time of the test. 
there is no rear outlet. I have only one. 
I will check for the direct battery fused solution.