IGNORED

Holy radiator, Batman!

doc47

2001 F650GS with a pinhole leak smack-dab in the center-rear of the radiator. Can it be fixed or do I have to spring for a new unit?

JB Weld? Soldering? Welding? Brazing?

I've seen automobile radiators repaired with brazing, yours may be able to have it done too. 

Were it a repair out in the boonies with no resources, I would definitely give it a try.

But that radiator is 25 years old, and could probably stand to be replaced anyway, unless the price is ridiculous, or it is not available. Then, braze away.

16 hours ago, doc47 said:

2001 F650GS with a pinhole leak smack-dab in the center-rear of the radiator. Can it be fixed or do I have to spring for a new unit?

JB Weld? Soldering? Welding? Brazing?

Evening  doc47

They can usually be repaired but keep in mind a new radiator is just shy of $800.00 so my suggestion is to remove it then take it to an experienced radiator shop for repair. 

Or at least ride your motorcycle to local radiator shop to get their opinion on repairing it, possibly they can repair in place without removing it.

It is easy to make things worse on do-it-yourself radiator repairs.

I run a stone screen on the front of my 800 GS radiator to prevent sharp stones from damaging the radiator.  I also run a front fender extender (rear lower edge of front fender)  to make sure that crap thrown up by the front tire can't get a good angle to hit the radiator. 

At high speed even a smaller sharp stone (or something) can damage the radiator.

szurszewski

Hey @doc47  - does this mean your leg works again and you're back home? 

No advice on the radiator - so this is just a hijack. Good luck!

There are no radiator shops here. Dirtrider, I live in southern Senegal, West Africa. The radiator , it turns out, is aluminum, so welding or brazing is out. A new radiator from the UK will cost over $500. That's before shipping!

I was going to cover the pinhead- sized hole w thin plastic to make sure I don't block the channel, then apply JB Weld.

Then, I looked in the drawer and...no JB Weld! And you can't get it here!🙄

Would anyone like to airmail me a couple of units of JB?

The leg works. Not 100%, but I can walk with aids, bicycle, and moto.

The muscles atrophied pretty badly, but for an old fart, they are coming back nicely. In fact, I'm pretty amazed...and thankful!

The teams at Harborview, and especially my surgeons, Sean Nork and Alicia Keys, took amazingly good care of me. With shattered bones, a serious infection, and 7 surgeries, it was a challenge for me and for them. 

I am back home in Kafountine with my incredibly wonderful Gambian wife. My charity is sending about 100 kids to school and 4 adults to university. My trees are full of mandarins and life is worth living!😁

MODERATOR EDIT: Two of the more graphic photos have been changed to 'Spoiler' (optional) to view.

Spoiler

20240229_212608.jpg

20240405_133541.jpg

20240309_152659.jpg

20240112_021425.jpg

Spoiler

20240212_191526~2.jpg

DakarTimm

I've fixed pinhole leaks in aluminum radiators by pouring molten lead over the hole . I used a small block of wood  on the back side to stop the lead from going too far .

I'm thinking a few fishing weights ought to do it .Lead melts easily with a propane torch . Hopefully you have both lead and propane over there .

Hosstage
3 hours ago, doc47 said:

MODERATOR EDIT: Two of the more graphic photos have been changed to 'Spoiler' (optional) to view

Think twice before viewing. Just saying.

1 hour ago, DakarTimm said:

I've fixed pinhole leaks in aluminum radiators by pouring molten lead over the hole . I used a small block of wood  on the back side to stop the lead from going too far .

I'm thinking a few fishing weights ought to do it .Lead melts easily with a propane torch . Hopefully you have both lead and propane over there .

I was wondering about dribbling solder on it.

szurszewski
3 hours ago, doc47 said:

Would anyone like to airmail me a couple of units of JB?

I would if you're serious and that's what you want. JB Weld has a radiator repair kit (which I think is just the epoxy and a bit of glass cloth), and then there are also a bunch of versions of aluminum epoxy marketed as being for radiator repair. Happy to send you whatever you like if you tell me what you want where/how best to send it. I maintain an amazon prime account in Germany (in addition to my US one) to send stuff to some Ukrainian friends who have been living there as refugees the last couple of years, but I don't happen to have one for Senegal ;) 

That is extremely generous of you! Some alluminum repair stuff sounds like the cat's pyjamas.

Thank you!!!!

David Levine

BP 141

Diouloulou, Ziginchor

Senegal

szurszewski
8 hours ago, doc47 said:

That is extremely generous of you! Some alluminum repair stuff sounds like the cat's pyjamas.

Thank you!!!!

David Levine

BP 141

Diouloulou, Ziginchor

Senegal

Is there a recommended carrier to use? USPS international / DHL / FedEx / UPS or something else? 

DHL won't deliver where I am. USPS works best. If you could include some regular JB Weld, I'd appreciate it. I will gladly reimburse you.

szurszewski

Got it. I’ll probably get things mailed tomorrow. Let me know if you want anything else.

szurszewski

Hi temp and regular jb weld on their way to you. The high temp one specifically lists radiators and aluminum as uses, so hopefully it will get you taken care of. Good luck!

We should start a pool to bet on when it arrives. Here’s the tracking number so we can follow along - though I don’t know how much good it will do once the package leaves the USPS. 

UH054141355US

Brother, I don't know how to thank you enough!

I'm working on both machines. The GSis the one with the leaky radiator, plus messed up wiring under the fairing.

The Dakar won't start and the off-road lights aren't working. 

It keeps me off the streets!

Doc

szurszewski

Well, once you get them running maybe just promise to not run into anymore derelict signage. Or, at least try really really hard not to.