IGNORED

New 2024 RT, now what?

Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto

Picked up my new ‘24 RT today. Very sporty ride. Those of you riding this bike, what are the tips, tricks and insights you’ve gained with some saddle time? 

Dennis Andress

I have a Grand America, not an RT, but so far the regime has been ride a lot and have it serviced and replace the tires. Repeat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To quote your title, you need to get us some damn pictures! :rofl:

“New 2024 RT, now what?” 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
Steveyacht
16 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

Picked up my new ‘24 RT today. Very sporty ride. Those of you riding this bike, what are the tips, tricks and insights you’ve gained with some saddle time? 

I bought a '23 last June. After 11,000 miles, the best thing I did was to have Seth Laam make me a bespoke seat. What a difference HUGE difference. I installed a set of front and rear Heed crash bars, a front Fender extension by Machineart Moto, a tank bag, Grab On foam grips, and a tail pack by Rhinowalk.

I wanted a windscreen with better wind and rain protection, so I opted for the Klockwerks. I use it for trips and kept the stock screen for everyday use.

Because I'm short, I put some clear protective material on the top of the saddlebags, to prevent scuffing. 

If you don't have any, get a decent set of Torx bits or drivers. I also got the Torx bits that fit the oil drain and final drive, because I do my own oil services.

I probably have another item or three that I can't remember.

• Like 1
profbodryak
20 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

Don't try to accelerate immediately after hard braking to a complete stop because you won't have throttle for a couple of seconds. This is a panic throttle prevention algorithm. Dangerous and BMW is refusing to disable it. It is disabled on police bikes but not civilian. 

But a fun ride - enjoy! 

Bruno From Québec

Brake using only the front brake lever, since the brakes are linked. Some rear brake at slow speed for stability and control.

I still catch myself. I never had a bike with linked brakes before. My reprogramming is taking a long time!

• Like 1
On 10/4/2024 at 8:48 PM, Jharpphoto said:

Ride It before it snows!  Also get some head protection :-).  Did you keep the GSA?

• Like 1

Picked mine up in May.

I've added:

Other than that I've just been riding it daily and really enjoying it. At first I didn't like the Shift Assist Pro, but I'm learning how to use it and really have fun with it.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
On 10/4/2024 at 6:48 PM, Jharpphoto said:

Wow, too many to recall.  I'll try.

Custom Saddle.  300 to 400 miles on stock saddle, no problem.  600 miles or more, stock saddle is a torture device.  I went with Kontour (no longer in business?).  I've done several 1000 mile rides (SS1000's, BB1500's) no problem.

Cruise control.  Zipping down the road on cruise, touch the brakes for an abrupt and harsh "cruise off" .  Roll off the throttle for a smooth cruise OFF.

Ride modes.  Must be changed only when stopped?  NO.  Cruise down the road, click on the desired Ride Mode, then roll off the throttle.  Ride Mode magically changes to the desired choice.

So many "farkles" to list, many are personal preferences.   Super Bright lights:  Clearwater Erikas and Darlas, plus Billie brake light.  Ilium Works engine and pannier guards. Extra loud horns by PIAA.  Werks Quiet Ride windscreen!  That's just the beginning, would have to look at my entire maintenance records - "things I did to my bike this week".

Jharpphoto
1 minute ago, craydds said:

Wow, too many to recall.  I'll try.

Custom Saddle.  300 to 400 miles on stock saddle, no problem.  600 miles or more, stock saddle is a torture device.  I went with Kontour (no longer in business?).  I've done several 1000 mile rides (SS1000's, BB1500's) no problem.

Cruise control.  Zipping down the road on cruise, touch the brakes for an abrupt and harsh "cruise off" .  Roll off the throttle for a smooth cruise OFF.

Ride modes.  Must be changed only when stopped?  NO.  Cruise down the road, click on the desired Ride Mode, then roll off the throttle.  Ride Mode magically changes to the desired choice.

So many "farkles" to list, many are personal preferences.   Super Bright lights:  Clearwater Erikas and Darlas, plus Billie brake light.  Ilium Works engine and pannier guards. Extra loud horns by PIAA.  Werks Quiet Ride windscreen!  That's just the beginning, would have to look at my entire maintenance records - "things I did to my bike this week".

Thanks for sharing your mods and farkles + tips. I'm just getting started but my last RT had a Sargent saddle that was amazing.  I can see a new seat in my future.  

• Like 1