IGNORED

Bob Smyth (aka Endobobdds)

marcopolo

marcopolo

I'm very sad to have to pass along the news that my close friend, long-time Board member, and enthusiastic participant in many BMWST riding events, Bob Smyth, died peacefully at his home in Washington, D.C., on Monday, October 7th, 2024.  

I first met Bob at UnRally 2010, in Topaz Lake, NV.  I was standing outside Sierra BMW in Reno, waiting for the shop to open, so I could get a new set of tires, and Bob arrived, with his black K1200 on the back of a trailer.  That was the start of a fourteen-year friendship that really blossomed when my wife, and I, moved from Canada to Alexandria, Virginia (just across the Potomac from D.C.) in 2013.  When Bob discovered this on the Board, he immediately called me up, and suggested I accompany him to START 2014, in Robbinsville, NC.  I was happy that he had done so, as that was the beginning of many such riding adventures we shared.  But, that was just Bob's outgoing nature, and enthusiasm for all things BMWST.  And that exemplified his enthusiasm for life in general.  After graduating from dental school at Ohio State, Bob joined the Navy, and he enjoyed a long career, with postings as diverse as Japan, Hawaii, and Washington, to name but a few.  He retired in the rank of Captain.  After his naval career was over, Bob went into private practice as an endodontist, a specialty he entered, while still in uniform.  But, throughout his life, Bob's passion was motorcycles, and other riders.  He was a great ambassador for BMWST, and he never failed to promote our group, at every opportunity.

God speed, Bob.  We love you, and we miss you.

Here is some pertinent information, from Bob's family:

He will be laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.  Please know this service will likely take place in a year‘s time.

Should one desire, memorial contributions are welcome to one of the following organizations or a charity of your choice:

Manna Food Bank

As an avid motorcycle rider, many of his most cherished memories were on the open road; Asheville and the Smoky Mountains were special destinations to him.  Supporting the region during this difficult time would mean a great deal to him.

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society

National Brain Tumor Society

i-Q9qb7wS-X2.thumb.jpeg.e8dfc2c1c31e01ac293ee493d0213b1d.jpeg.

• Like 8
  • Sad 7
  • Indy Dave featured this topic

That’s a great photo!  Anyone that had ever met Bob automatically became a “better person”.  A happy soul he was. I’m glad it was you Mark that brought him home. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Godspeed Bob, you will be missed. I always enjoyed talking to Bob at the ARTS and missed when he was unable to come any longer. I will be ordering a pizza on Thursday night in his honor. 

My condolences to his wife and family. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So sorry to read about this.  I am glad I got to briefly have an encounter with him in Ellijay at an ART a few years ago; he took my money for his Pizza Night Extravaganza,  :yes:  .  I really felt like it was an honor to meet him after all the talk about him and the stories people could relate to about knowing him.  Knowing him through other board members really hits home when he was such a great person.

Thanks for sharing him with us, Mark

I, too, will order pizza.  Great idea, Chris.

Prayers for his family and friends.

PEACE!

roadscholar

Man, so sorry to hear this. Bob was just a great person, there was an aura of enthusiasm always around him. One year in Salida I hatched a plan (with some assistance) to get some of the guys on dirt bikes for a day ride. Some had recent experience but Bob hadn't ridden offroad since he was much, much younger but he was all in. He was who I was most concerned about, we did a few group practice exercises then made a day of it, some of it not easy. Probably pushed them a bit much but Bob was up for it, even after an early downhill get-off he was still having a great time, I had a lot of respect for him after that day. On Thursdays I will think of having pizza.

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

• Like 6
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

IMG_3068.JPG

The Warrior picture! :yes: I had a front row seat to that incident. Most guys would have limped home crying after that, not Bob, he powered through it! 
image.jpeg.7abfbd8d75b6898657dc9b80138b0069.jpeg

• Like 4
RandyShields
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Most guys would have limped home crying after that, not Bob, he powered through it! 

My last recollection of Bob was having to be hoisted onto his bike in Ellijay because of a muscle pull in his back.  He wasn't going to let than slow him down and wanted to continue riding!  Godspeed Bob, we will miss you and your enthusiasm.  

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

6 hours ago, marcopolo said:

I'm very sad to have to pass along the news that my close friend, long-time Board member, and enthusiastic participant in many BMWST riding events, Bob Smyth, died peacefully at his home in Washington, D.C., on Monday, October 7th, 2024.  

I first met Bob at UnRally 2010, in Topaz Lake, NV.  I was standing outside Sierra BMW in Reno, waiting for the shop to open, so I could get a new set of tires, and Bob arrived, with his black K1200 on the back of a trailer.

I too first met Bob at Topaz Lake, when Laney and I decided to put his bike on our trailer and take him to Sierra BMW. I got to ride with him in 2012 at the Salida UnRally. Unfortunately, I stopped in the entrance of a traffic circle as we rode through Aspen (for an oncoming police car) and Laney didn't, hitting my bike from behind. I was hurt worse than I admitted; Bob stayed with us all the way back to Salida, checking on me and giving me water. Godspeed Sir.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear this news, Mark. 

I met Bob a few times, but only had a reasonable visit at Palmer Gulch (2018 UnRally).   He was a great guy.  Condolences to you, his other friends and his family.

Mike RC

DaveCinNO

It’s very sad to hear Bob has passed, life isn’t fair.  He turned 79 this Summer and it has only been a few years since his father passed.  It always seemed like he would have had his father’s longevity.  I met Bob at the 2009 UnRally in NH.  I was riding with Tom Koerner a lot then and Bob joined us one of the days.  He insisted on joining the group doing the sunrise ride up Mt Washington.  It sounded like fun but Tom and I weren’t about to get up at 4am or whatever time it required.  Bob was fun to ride with, just a bit unpredictable, zooming by to take the lead, fiddling with his gps  or getting lost.  Was all part of the adventure.  In 2016 I was fortunate to ride to the UN in Montana with Bob,  room with him and ride together every day there.  His Father was ill then and it gave us time to talk about family which was important to Bob.  He will be missed by many.  Farewell my friend, ride safe up there.

Dave

img_3263.jpeg

img_3266.jpeg

img_3250.jpeg

20180928_105829.jpeg

20180928_105315.jpeg

• Like 9

Some random pictures of Bob. I'll add more as I find them.

Whiteface Mountain during the Lake George UN.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6b8b3ce142192c51dbe3cfc1acccde9.jpeg

Him ripping it up coming down off the mountain.

image.thumb.jpeg.42e8c008e87f288e9ef5df375ed40077.jpeg

Crossing Lake Champlain on the Essex ferry.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0a8abcb315c4422c71bb391886a0e04.jpeg

Dinner with the Whipster, Chris, Mitch and me.

image.thumb.jpeg.c9775b622ce0c36a433e2d245913b83f.jpeg

Sunrise ride to the top of Mount Washington at the 2009 NH UN.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d9124a0206e7c2e569084bae9f0600c.jpeg

Bill said follow me! Bob was like, ok! :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.34f24f5fbbb9f9ed084e9582b2840d95.jpeg

In this picture, Bob showed some concern after examining the bicuspids on this GS at Heid’s BMW. ;) :)

image.thumb.jpeg.992e204fb5bd8f768a986baccd0d4d57.jpeg

Steve & Chris tried to get Bob to join their Stich club… :dontknow: He wasn’t having any of it!

image.jpeg.865e7e758b1c9b2d7433bdab4788f6ed.jpeg

Bob did finally agree to a sit down lunch though. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg.e1970242784342645c326f4c85d1c918.jpeg

• Like 8
Calvin  (no socks)

I haven't seen him in years. He is the one that named me No Socks in one of the early El Paseos when I showed up with an Airhead and Sperry Docksiders on tucked in under the cylinders.            God speed my friend.

• Like 1

Although he had the GSA the last few years of his riding, the black K1200 he tucked himself into is how I best remember Bob.  I remember back in the Maggie Valley days when he would tell me his travel stories about his ride down to Maggie Valley from the Washington DC area.  I knew he stopped riding for a health reason, but this took me by surprise and I hate it.  

• Like 3

We were at several events with Bob, but I will remember him best for joining us on the last leg of the pied piper run to the New Hampshire UnRally.  He was a good guy and I will miss him.  Thanks Mark, for the post.  

Bob was a lovely man. A friendly regular at most ART events, one that we looked forward to sharing a meal together, chatting with about ... well ... most anything. He had a great smile, always asked about what was going on in your life, and truly appreciated this group. Chris (lawnchair boy) and I spent the night at his house back in 2013 when the three of us rode to and joined up with the Memorial ride for Paul Mihalka. He was the consummate host. 

We were already missing him the past few years, and while this was somewhat expected, it's just sadder now.  We'll miss him but cherish our memories of Bob. 

(Below is Bob at the group meal at START 2015 in Dillard, siiting with Joel.)

DSC_1157.JPG

• Like 6

Bob always had a kind word on his lips and a warm personality. Having owned a KRS, we had many chats about the K-bike's merits and motorcycling in general. Great guy....:(

• Like 1