IGNORED

Tired of Texas

beemerboy

For many years my sister would either fly or drive to my location to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately her husband's health hasn't allowed her to do this for the past three years so I thought I'd just ride to her home in Fredericksburg, TX. I just returned from my third ride down and back with all trips being aboard my GSA.

The first trip in '22 was a mixed bag; nice weather going down as was the return leg that had me overnighting in Amarillo. The morning of my departure I awoke to cold and drizzle. Oh sh*t. There I am with my nice Klim riding gear but wondering why I left my Gerbings jacket liner at home. 

68761997962__67DD5028-025B-41FD-8EB5-F18

Well, I gotta get home so I layered up as best I could and took off. The drizzle gave way to intermittent rain and the temps dropped to the mid 40s. The heated seat & grips helped but my core was suffering so I ended up having to stop about every 30 miles to warm up inside a gas station or whatever place I could find that sold hot drinks.

This scene is colder than it looks! Pic taken near Texline, TX.

IMG_6986-L.jpg

I made my way into some small town in New Mexico where I had to stop because I was shivering badly. The only place I found open was antique/curio shop where a very nice lady gave me a hot cup of tea and listened to me being a whiney-assed little bitch. 

Pic taken from her store.

IMG_6987-L.jpg

I eventually made my way into Raton, NM, where the temps were in the high 50s then up and over Raton Pass and into Colorado where I rode into mid 60s.

In October of '23 I departed on a crystal clear Fall day at 36 degrees. No problemo because I had the Gerbings liner under my Klim gear and by Trinidad, CO (about 100 miles south), I had to stop and remove the liner and open up vents on my jacket. I love living in Colorado! The rest of the trip down and back was uneventful other than wind and riding past stockyards. Oy, the smell.....:eek:

This year's trip planning involved wearing a middle weight jacket and riding pants and packing a lighter setup suitable for hot temps. Texas didn't disappoint as I rode in morning temps as low as 54 with a high of 98 plus wicked winds through the Panhandle and into southern CO. Sheesh.

Where am I going with this? The revelation that as I age I'm less inclined to deal with Mother Nature's surprises and long days in the saddle. I'm not a Butt Burner kind of rider although I've given some thought to earning their "merit badge." My longest day on a ride was coming back from the 2010 Un in Lake Topaz, NV, 830 miles. I stopped in Grand Junction because dusk was approaching and I didn't pack a clear face shield for my Shoei and I didn't want to ride my RT with my face exposed. Anyone out there who rides knows that a full faired motorcycle w/adjustable wind screen is no match for insects. Those little boogers seem intent on making sure they sting/stain/mess you up as they give up their miserable lives.

Prior to this most recent trip I'd been planning a Spring 2025 ride to Louisiana (rode down to LA & MS in 2004 so I know what it's like) to see relatives and to do a side trip to visit a friend in Alabama. I may have to rethink my mode of transportation.

Anyway, the trips to TX are getting old and have shown me that my max day now is no more than 500 miles. I may change that when riding in the West but my body will have the final say. Next year's trip to see Sis will be made via Chevy Silverado.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, beemerboy said:

and listened to me being a whiney-assed little bitch. 

The first step in the recovery process is admitting it to oneself:classic_biggrin:

16 minutes ago, beemerboy said:

Anyone out there who rides knows that a full faired motorcycle w/adjustable wind screen is no match for insects. Those little boogers seem intent on making sure they sting/stain/mess you up as they give up their miserable lives.

I ride face shield up unless it's raining or supa cold.  I do wear safety or sun glasses to protect the eyes, but I like the wind in the face feel, not full force, but enough breeze to feel nice.  I do get the occasional pelt of insects and debris, but the wind feel outweighs those minimal hits.

On your riding

clint-eastwood-magnum-force-1973-dkhxf4o

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

I bought an R90S in 1981 and rode with low bars for the next few decades. Until one day I figured out that the joint pain I was bitching about was directly connected to the low bars on my RS. Which led to buying a K1600 Grand America, it's very comfortable.  But, even on a big touring bike 500 miles a day is all I can do, and i should take a break from riding every three or four days (or sooner).

This may be the best way to fight getting old that I've found. Powerful, nimble, and comfortable. I saw a future of endless 400 mile days.... Then it broke a valve spring.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was gonna say it's not Texas' fault although besides a few pockets anything between the front range and the Ozarks doesn't equate to much fun on a motorcycle. I've driven that route (US287 from DFW to Raton, NM more times than I can count going to Colorado, I know every town, gas station, restaurant, a few of the residents and a cop or two : )  It's not bad in a truck (or old Porsche), beats the heck out of an interstate but can see it getting old on a bike after a couple trips. Now the weather, that's a different deal.

beemerboy
22 hours ago, roadscholar said:

I was gonna say it's not Texas' fault although besides a few pockets anything between the front range and the Ozarks doesn't equate to much fun on a motorcycle. I've driven that route (US287 from DFW to Raton, NM more times than I can count going to Colorado, I know every town, gas station, restaurant, a few of the residents and a cop or two : )  It's not bad in a truck (or old Porsche), beats the heck out of an interstate but can see it getting old on a bike after a couple trips. Now the weather, that's a different deal.

My father was stationed at Amarillo AFB and Kelly AFB in San Antonio so I have many fond memories of both areas. Texas has much to offer in terms of the riding experience, food, culture, and wonderful people. My initial post was more a general rant about it no longer being fun to ride to my sister's home. Speaking of Amarillo, it's looking like Sis will be living there sometime in the next 2-3 years and that'll change my attitude about riding to TX to see her. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
On 10/14/2024 at 10:52 AM, Dennis Andress said:

Holy crap! You had a Motus? ....

I have a Motus. It needs some love.

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, beemerboy said:

Holy crap! You had a Motus? ....

I have a Motus. It needs some love.

image.jpeg

I wanted a Motus. Baaad. It looked like it was gonna be the perfect bike for me, but I held out and kept riding my cheap Suzuki. Was it the right decision?