IGNORED

My 04RT is destroyed

46nto

I picked up my 04 RT on June 2 of last year. I ended up putting 32000 miles on it. I rode it from MA to western NC/eastern TN 4 times. My friend & I were about 25 mile from the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway when a deer took me out. All I remember is a brown flash & thinking “oh no”. There was lots of crunching & I saw light & dark a few times before coming to rest. Not sure how it happened but the forks were pushed into the engine case up front. Somehow, I’m ok -just a few bumps & bruises, thankfully! I should probably be dead. 

IMG_1130.thumb.jpeg.ac48d44b21a2fe347ebc0c61fce6f753.jpeg

IMG_1124.thumb.jpeg.f6c1a6d3c91667e3e3719a2d6d77bb86.jpeg

IMG_1125.thumb.jpeg.304248e0b0b3c2d3891c5a0492006cdf.jpeg

• Sad 3
John Ranalletta
18 minutes ago, 46nto said:

I picked up my 04 RT on June 2 of last year. I ended up putting 32000 miles on it. I rode it from MA to western NC/eastern TN 4 times. My friend & I were about 25 mile from the northern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway when a deer took me out. All I remember is a brown flash & thinking “oh no”. There was lots of crunching & I saw light & dark a few times before coming to rest. Not sure how it happened but the forks were pushed into the engine case up front. Somehow, I’m ok -just a few bumps & bruises, thankfully! I should probably be dead. 

IMG_1130.thumb.jpeg.ac48d44b21a2fe347ebc0c61fce6f753.jpeg

IMG_1124.thumb.jpeg.f6c1a6d3c91667e3e3719a2d6d77bb86.jpeg

IMG_1125.thumb.jpeg.304248e0b0b3c2d3891c5a0492006cdf.jpeg

Wow.  Glad you're okay.

• Like 1
King Herald

Damn, that’s a blow. :( It could have been so much worse though, looking where the bike landed around the tree. 

• Like 1

WOW! You were so UNlucky to meet up with a deer BUT SO Lucky To Have Walked Away From That Disastrous Hit!

I got hit by a car two years ago and although I didn't realize for almost a year, that incident caused me to severely reduce my riding for a year (and neither the bike nor I went down,)

Hope that your PTS from the deer hit passes quickly.

• Like 1
szurszewski

Good job to the 'stich and the Schuberth - money well spent! 

As others have said, glad you made it out ok. Looks like the bike made it a good distance from the pavement before coming to a stop!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RK Ryder said:

WOW! You were so UNlucky to meet up with a deer BUT SO Lucky To Have Walked Away From That Disastrous Hit!

I got hit by a car two years ago and although I didn't realize for almost a year, that incident caused me to severely reduce my riding for a year (and neither the bike nor I went down,)

Hope that your PTS from the deer hit passes quickly.

I was super lucky to have walked away from this virtually unscathed! Sorry to hear about you getting hit by that car -I *think* I'm ready to ride but I won't know til I sit on another bike. I may have found a 2012 RT low model that could be perfect for me & am hoping to check it out this weekend.

1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

Good job to the 'stich and the Schuberth - money well spent! 

As others have said, glad you made it out ok. Looks like the bike made it a good distance from the pavement before coming to a stop!

I don't skimp on the safety equipment. My first stich lasted over 20 years & this R3 is just over a year old. There is a scuff from that small tree on the left should over the suit & except for a torn ankle reflector, it's still in perfect condition. The Schuberth is done but I just found out my insurer covers up to $500 in safety gear reimbursement so that'll go right toward another high quality helmet. I also found out they'll cover up to $3000 in aftermarket parts -the bike came with an Ohlins rear shock & Wilbers front. I put a Sargent saddle on it, Denali D3's on Clearwater mounts with a Dial Dim controller. Depending on how they value the bike, I may recoup a good amount of the money I had into it. Ultimately, I don't really care as I'm ok but it would be nice to pick up another RT maybe the 2012 Camhead I found so I can tinker with it all winter.

beemerboy
1 hour ago, 46nto said:

I was super lucky to have walked away from this virtually unscathed! Sorry to hear about you getting hit by that car -I *think* I'm ready to ride but I won't know til I sit on another bike. I may have found a 2012 RT low model that could be perfect for me & am hoping to check it out this weekend.

I like your attitude about getting back in the saddle. I'll parrot many other comments here about being happy that you're unscathed. Post pics of the new ride and let us know how the insurance company treats you!

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX

You are very lucky to walk away without injuries. I have had two deer collisions. Both resulted in an ambulance ride, a visit to the emergency room and a night or more in the hospital. Combined injuries were 10 fractured ribs, a fractured scapula, and a punctured lung.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

You are very lucky to walk away without injuries. I have had two deer collisions. Both resulted in an ambulance ride, a visit to the emergency room and a night or more in the hospital. Combined injuries were 10 fractured ribs, a fractured scapula, and a punctured lung.

Damn, sorry to hear about those incidents. I may have a cracked rib or two but not displaced. I had a really bad mountain bike crash with broken & displaced ribs & a bruised lung they thought would collapse that earned me 2 nights in the hospital & another mtb crash during a race that got me an ambulance ride for a hematoma of my urethra -that was really not fun! I’ve had 6 or 7 mtb concussions, as well. 

This is a pic just before I had to get to the ambulance for the urethra incident. Yes, that’s a beer. 

IMG_3379.thumb.jpeg.7cd664a6ec4dabe38cf7255af196f454.jpeg