IGNORED

Checking out a camhead RT for purchase

46nto

I had an unfortunate run in with a deer on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Staunton, VA last week & my 04RT is going to be totaled (forks punched into the engine cases). Miraculously, I’m ok but I’m going to need another bike. Most suggest to get the newest model one can afford & it looks like there are a number of 2011-2012 RTs in my area that are within my budget. 

I’m coming from oilhead world & am well versed in the various ins & outs & issues to look for but not so for a camhead. 

The first I’m likely to look at is a 2012 low model (which is good for me at 5’5”) with 25000ish miles. The current owner is the second owner who bought it from an older woman whose husband passed away. The bike was checked out at Max in NH & a new fuel fuel pump or some kind of fuel system recall was done. Then they give the bike a clean bill of health. The current owner doesn’t know how long the bike was sitting prior to him purchasing it. 

I’d love some advice on specifics to look for & common problem areas. I work on my own bikes & am fairly well versed in CANBUS communication so that doesn’t phase me at all. 

Also note, I’m horrible with search function ms so I apologize for asking something that probably been covered often. Feel free to link any threads that would be of interest. 

Thanks,

Kris

Not much to say as the Camheads are the best of the oil cooled models. Float controlled gas gauge so no fuel strip problems, upgraded cam chain tensioner, better ABS (no servo), better cornering clearance and better top end power.

You also benefit from factory cruise and about 65-70 lbs less weight than your 1150. The valves do use shims but they do hold adjustment very well.

I think you will feel the weight difference just as much as the HP.:thumbsup:

Peruse the Camhead section threads..... not many serious problems.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
6 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Not much to say as the Camheads are the best of the oil cooled models. Float controlled gas gauge so no fuel strip problems, upgraded cam chain tensioner, better ABS (no servo), better cornering clearance and better top end power.

You also benefit from factory cruise and about 65-70 lbs less weight than your 1150. The valves do use shims but they do hold adjustment very well.

I think you will feel the weight difference just as much as the HP.:thumbsup:

Peruse the Camhead section threads..... not many serious problems.

65 - 70 lbs less?! I didn’t realize they weigh that much less! 

I agree about the CamHeads being the best of the "oiley's"!  Your 04 was an excellent and most dependable machine. The dual plug head solved a lot of issues with the oil heads, BUT, you will absolutely LOVE that 2012 for reasons others have mentioned!  Because of my age and the weight of my LT, I moved to a  2013 RT! What a difference and what an awesome machine!!  24,000 miles later I still love it! 

DO IT, you will not regret it! More especially if you do your own maintenance! IMO Camheads are one of the easiest machines to work on I've had (except for changing the light bulbs 😉)! 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Realize you’re looking to go newer but this Craigslist find might be the abandoned puppy you need to fill the void… :read: :classic_biggrin:

Glad you weren’t hurt! :yes:

Thank you! That's a great looking bike but I have a feeling I'd constantly compare another 04 to the one that was just destroyed & it wouldn't measure up. I spent A LOT of time getting that bike dialed in axfied, Denali D3 Trioptics with DialDim controller, frequent TB syncing, replaced paralever bearings with bushings & it had Ohlins rear & Wilbers front shocks (which have ruined me for stock suspension, btw)

From what I've read, the camheads are a bit better handling, a bit more powerful & don't exhibit the odd excessive left side front tire wear that the oilheads do. I could probably afford a water cooled bike but I think a prefer the relative simplicity of oil cooling. I'm also a tinkerer & it looks like there are may more options to hop up the fueling and/or timing on the camheads which is a big plus for me. My favorite bike to date was a 99 Buell M2 Cyclone & getting that bike dialed in with intake, headers, a Supertrapp IDS silencer & carb jetting was a super fun process. Fuel injected tube frame Buells on the other hand... I had a 2002 S3T & I could never get that thing to run as well as the carbed M2 did. I traded that in for a K1600GTL which I just couldn't get comfortable on. I also had a couple flying brick Ks in there too but I prefer two cylinders, apparently. The K1100LT is a bike I never should've got rid of though. There's a 96 for sale out here in western mass that looks good but I think a camhead RT is the way to go for me right now.

• Like 3
Etienne Lau

@46nto I bought my 2010 R1200RT used with nearly 90,000 miles on it. I am now at 103,000 miles. But I am ticked pink with it. I have contemplated moving up to the water cooled units, but really love the simple maintenance of the 2010-2013 with no coolant to mess with. Would it be nice to have some of the nicer luxury of the newer models? Sure. Would it be nice to have a lower seating position from the newer models? Sure would. But I am at the same time content, I have learned to live with tip-toe or slide to 1 side at stops. 

When I bought my R1200RT, it came with leg lower kit and handle bar risers. Both have been removed. Absolutely hated both. I replaced the stock seat with Sargent seats to get a slightly lower seating position. Added a dash mount for cell phone and GPS., engine and side case protection bars.  But otherwise is bone stock. 

3 minutes ago, Etienne Lau said:

@46nto I bought my 2010 R1200RT used with nearly 90,000 miles on it. I am now at 103,000 miles. But I am ticked pink with it. I have contemplated moving up to the water cooled units, but really love the simple maintenance of the 2010-2013 with no coolant to mess with. Would it be nice to have some of the nicer luxury of the newer models? Sure. Would it be nice to have a lower seating position from the newer models? Sure would. But I am at the same time content, I have learned to live with tip-toe or slide to 1 side at stops. 

When I bought my R1200RT, it came with leg lower kit and handle bar risers. Both have been removed. Absolutely hated both. I replaced the stock seat with Sargent seats to get a slightly lower seating position. Added a dash mount for cell phone and GPS., engine and side case protection bars.  But otherwise is bone stock. 

Nice! Glad to hear of another camhead RT fan! The 2012 I'm looking at is a low model with the ultra low seat which I hear is very uncomfortable but who knows, it may work for me. I think with that seat, the most cost effective solution would be to have Seth Laam use the base to make me a custom saddle. His work gets great reviews! The only thing I'm not sure about is big sides. I like to move around & have always preferred a flatter saddle. The older Corbin flat style seats were absolutely fantastic. I has a Sargent low on my 04 & it was pretty good but the padding was a bit soft for my preference.

The bike I'm going to see has handlebar risers which would come off if I get it. I was casually researching lower bar options for the 04 RT but never got the chance to figure out a solution.

• Plus 1 1
Etienne Lau

@46nto When I went to remove the bar risers on my RT, I did have to purchase new bolts from the dealer since the previous owner never sold the motorcycle with the original bolts.....but my dealer has been good to me. I lost the BMW Emblem on the front side and they gave me one for free ($80)....They've done a lot for me in the past as well, but I also spend money there.....

• Like 1