IGNORED

rattle when throttle is closed and RPM's are dropping

abush357

My 2012 RT has started making a rattling noise when I close the throttle and the rpm's drop. Doesn't always do it, but it usually does happen when I get home for the day, warm engine. Not there when the engine is cold, and sometimes it's not there after warm-up. Service light is on because it's time for an oil change (I think). Oil level is half way up the sight glass.  Throttle bodies? Cam chain? 

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Does the rattle go away when you pull the clutch in?

In the video I posted the bike is in neutral clutch out, but I'm pretty sure it is unaffected by the clutch. I double check on my next ride. 

that's not the sound mine is making, mine sounds like chain or valve noise to me. Yours sounds like a distinct tapping.  It's not very apparent in the video when I play it through speakers (in my video), but it is really easy to hear when I play the video on my phone. 

Does yours sound like that hot and cold? 

15 minutes ago, abush357 said:

that's not the sound mine is making, mine sounds like chain or valve noise to me. Yours sounds like a distinct tapping.  It's not very apparent in the video when I play it through speakers (in my video), but it is really easy to hear when I play the video on my phone. 

Does yours sound like that hot and cold? 

It did sound like that.  this was at 60k miles or so.  I've had the tranny replaced and now back to a normal rattle for the past 96k.

At least cycle the clutch while in neutral, should rule out the tranny and put the focus on the engine.