IGNORED

Show me your reflective tape/decals/stuff

Effervescent

La Guardia called. They said "Tone it down, man!! You're makin' the gumbahs buried at the end of 23R twitch!" Jeeez!

I thought I'd overdone it with the three strips on the back of my helmet! eek.gif And if you think I'm gonna bother wasting digital memory for THAT.....

Ok, a lil over the top but it's a bike and yer allowed to be visually off center long as the rubber side's down. I particularly like the bits at the bar ends and wheel spokes. thumbsup.gif

Actually, I wanted to say YOU MISSED A SPOT!!! wink.gif

I don't care what you say, that is just wrong to do that to a beautiful Beemer.

That's a Beemer?? confused.gif I thought it was a test pattern!! OMG! My bad. blush.gif

GET.........COUNSELING

"Hi, I'm Eff. I'm a reflective abuser."

"Hi, Eff."

The real secret is to have Nando cut off his "habit" for the sake of all that is good and right with the world.

Basically invisibile in daylight, I've added another 31 pieces from Fernando since these pics were taken.

-Eff

Jeeze, I can't believe it. This thread compelled me to order more reflective decals for my side cases. I thought I had plenty, but what do I know.

OK, I gotta pipe in here. First, I'm flattered that so many people on this board buy our Reflective Kits. I mean Penny and I have this little side business and it helps pay the motorcycle and insurance bills, but I'm also surprised by the commitment some of you, our customers, have to conspicuity. Eff, you may have broken some kind of record! As for the rest of you, if you decide to follow in his tracks, we may have to start offering volume discounts.

In all honesty, besides helping to pay a bill or two, we take great pride in the number of people we've helped to be seen, and be safer, on the road. Of course, this is one of those situations where it's impossible to actually know how many rear-enders, T-bones or other accidents our kits have helped prevent. But we do like to think we've made a difference and have helped keep some people safe from harm.

Atta boy!

1529.jpg

1530.jpg

1531.jpg

1527.jpg

1532.jpg

1528.jpg

1533.jpg

1526.jpg

Pics that were requested. Please note these were taken in sunlight and that from 3 steps backwards, the yellow tape on bodywork becomes completely invisible. clap.gif

-Eff

and that from 3 steps backwards, the yellow tape on bodywork becomes completely invisible. clap.gif

-Eff

Apparently so does the pumpkin. lmao.gif

Eff,

I do believe you about your job.

The bike, however, I don't believe. tongue.gif

lmao.gif

Actually a good job of creating a visual disturbance.

Something that is out of the ordinary, and may make a driver notice you. thumbsup.gif

Just be careful of hitchhikers with glowing fingers that want to "go home". grin.gif

th-ETCVLG_ET-FS27.jpg

I don't see clear or yellow tape at www.motoequip.com

Am I missing something? confused.gif

What color is the reflective tape that is on the yellow body pannels? Is it clear or yellow? Where on the motoequip page is it listed? If it is yellow do they have other colors?

confused.gif

I don't see clear or yellow tape at www.motoequip.com

Am I missing something? confused.gif

What color is the reflective tape that is on the yellow body pannels? Is it clear or yellow? Where on the motoequip page is it listed? If it is yellow do they have other colors?

confused.gif

At MotoEquip, we only deal in 3M ScotchBrite Commercial-Grade Reflective Tape in Black or Silver. Our Reflective Kits are computer-designed and precision cut to fit the rear and/or sides of your BMW saddlebags and trunks. We also offer Helmet Reflective Kits which come in two patterns, "Checkered Flag" or "Speed Diamonds" and each pattern is also available in black or silver reflective. For do-it-yourselfers we also offer kits containing two 8x11 sheets of black or silver reflective.

For reflective tape in other colors, from which you can manually cut your own pieces, you can contact companies like Gall's. Click on their Vehicle Graphics Store link and then follow that to the reflective tape page. Efferevescent may also have another resource or two that he used to complete the effects on his bike.

OK, I gotta pipe in here. First, I'm flattered that so many people on this board buy our Reflective Kits. I mean Penny and I have this little side business and it helps pay the motorcycle and insurance bills, but I'm also surprised by the commitment some of you, our customers, have to conspicuity. Eff, you may have broken some kind of record! As for the rest of you, if you decide to follow in his tracks, we may have to start offering volume discounts.

In all honesty, besides helping to pay a bill or two, we take great pride in the number of people we've helped to be seen, and be safer, on the road. Of course, this is one of those situations where it's impossible to actually know how many rear-enders, T-bones or other accidents our kits have helped prevent. But we do like to think we've made a difference and have helped keep some people safe from harm.

Thanks for the reminder. I just placed an order. I have been meaning to do this for some time now but your post reminded me to do it today.

...we take great pride in the number of people we've helped to be seen, and be safer, on the road. Of course, this is one of those situations where it's impossible to actually know how many rear-enders, T-bones or other accidents our kits have helped prevent. But we do like to think we've made a difference and have helped keep some people safe from harm...

You've no doubt made quite a difference - and I just placed an order to be "seen" a little better on my 1200RT. Wishing you much continued success...

Rocket_Cowboy
You've no doubt made quite a difference - and I just placed an order to be "seen" a little better on my 1200RT. Wishing you much continued success...

Ordered mine last week, came in Thursday or Friday I think it was. Anyway, got the stuff installed on the topbox and rear mudflap ... now I just need to knock out the saddlebags and I'm good to go.

I love this stuff! (but not as much as eff apparently does)

I added a reflector like this:

I mounted a 7" square of aluminum sheet metal just below the license plate, and covered it with strips of 2-inch-wide white reflective tape.

The piece is the same width as the license plate. I made it by shearing a piece of scrap to the desired size, rounding off the corners with a belt sander (so that I don't cut myself in a fall), and drilling two holes for mounting.

The advantage of this scheme is that it is easily removable. The aluminum piece is mounted with a pair of screws through the stock holes in the black plastic piece below the license plate. Remove the two screws, and the bike is back to stock.

This removable reflector plate also provides a good place for my parking-permit sticker (everybody else at work sticks theirs on their bike paint (yuck) or on the license plate (cross your fingers that you don't get a ticket).

The white tape is much more reflective than my license plate. It's also much more reflective than black Scotch-lite. I bought Fernando's black Scotch-lite reflectors for the luggage (they are beautifully cut, I might add) but I haven't installed them. Comparing the two with a flashlight at night, I'd say that the stuff that looks black at daytime reflects, at most, 50% as much as the white tape. So you need less of the white tape to have the same impact.

Oh, I added some white tape to my white helmet, too. It's sitting on the chair next to the bike in the nighttime photo. I used 1" wide tape, and cut out ovals using a template and a hobby knife. I used 1" tape for the helmet because 2" wide tape creases when you press it onto the curved helmet surface, whereas the 1" stuff stretches just enough.

night, with flash

(light from the reflectors saturated the camera CCD, so you can't tell from this photo that my reflector looks much brighter than the license plate).

764492-reflector-night.jpg

day

(with the sun directly behind the camera)

764492-reflector-day.jpg

764492-reflector-day.jpg.f7b2eae707c856291ff5e4432d7fae1d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta say I've had spectacular experience with Fernando/Motoequip.

I installed the needed kits for my bike, and they really really took care of me with the installation questions and problems I had.

Kudos to motoequip as a business with top notch service and fast response to customer inquiries. I'll do business with again, and would encourage all of you to do the same.

...this concludes this unpaid advertisement. :-) thumbsup.gif

I too provide the reflective stickers and have different colors available and do custom work as well.

If anyone is interested, feel free to e-mail me at stickers@hind-sight.net

Thanks,

Hey Andy, are you still associated with BMW of Salt Lake since the new owners took over? I'd like to buy / order some stickers (I was thinking about school bus yellow), but I prefer to pick them up since I'm in town vs. having them shipped to me. Let me know.

AdventurePoser
OK, I gotta pipe in here. First, I'm flattered that so many people on this board buy our Reflective Kits. harm.

Fernando,

I gotta chime in here again. The reflective kit for the Grey Ghost is awesome! I honestly believe through your hard work that you've created a product that might one day save my life. Perhaps it already has, and I didn't even realize it! eek.gif

113060095-M.jpg

Thanks, buddy!

Steve in So Cal

Sean,

The local shops BMW of Salt Lake/Accolade Motorsports and Motorcycle Repair & Rendezvous only stock the Hind-Sight reflective kits in black and red. If you want other colors or different custom work done, just let me know and I am more than happy to oblige.

Thanks,

Sean,

The local shops BMW of Salt Lake/Accolade Motorsports and Motorcycle Repair & Rendezvous only stock the Hind-Sight reflective kits in black and red. If you want other colors or different custom work done, just let me know and I am more than happy to oblige.

Thanks,

I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words and support. We do try hard. But I only think it's fair to also acknowledge Andy and his company, Hind-Sight.

Anyone who has met Andy Sager knows he's a gentleman and a straight shooter. And just from knowing him as a rider and member of this board, he has my respect. I also know he produces an excellent product and that he's as conscientious toward his customers as I am toward mine.

If you're in the market for black reflective kits, either MotoEquip or Hind-Sight will treat you right. But if you are looking for a color other than black, or looking for custom vinyl work, Andy's your man. thumbsup.gif

Thanks again to all. I just want to be fair and make sure that the both companies get credit because both companies do good work.

But where are your pictures? You can't have an advertisement without pictures. smile.gif

You are right. What was I thinking?

Here is a photo taken - flash only. These decals rock.

774241-100_4311.jpg.a75511a22fd65765e96b86c7e7ca4c7a.jpg

Evidently you missed the posts from a couple of others who have years of experience under their belts and think that "Lane positioning" is what really matters when you're out on the road...............and that "being seen" is at the bottom of the list..............I say this with tongue in cheek.......while typing on my new keyboard with the "much improved" and "bigger" Caps Lock button........

lmao.giflmao.gif

Pat

..............I say this with tongue in cheek.......while typing on my new keyboard with the "much improved" and "bigger" Caps Lock button........

lmao.giflmao.gif

Pat

Ok..., so why aren't you using it yet? tongue.giflmao.gif

BTW - you never did send me that address..... eek.gifdopeslap.giftongue.giflmao.giflmao.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Homemade reflectors on my RT. My wife says she can see me 1/2 a mile away at night when she follows me in her car.

In total darkness:

RTreflectors2.jpg

With garage lights on:

RTreflectors3.jpg

Al,

Nice job!! thumbsup.gif

I really like both the red color and the pattern (I'll "emulate" that grin.gif).

What size tape did you use and where did you buy it?

Archived