IGNORED

Not my time to go!

southerncarider

southerncarider

This is to the riders I've rode with in the past and have meet at all the DVD rallies over the years. On 11/18/06 my 2001 RT and I crashed and both went over a cliff. There was a great deal of rocks and gravel on the curves coming down the summit. I avoided most all of the larger rocks even in my lean with the exception of one. My front tire glanced off on one I couldn't avoid, I came out of my lean to regain control only to run out of road. When it become apparent I wasn't going to make it I bailed off. The RT went off the cliff along with myself. The RT came to rest around 200' down in a wash. I slid down the mountain around 40' before finally getting myself stopped thanks to a large tree.

I only suffered moderate injuries to my legs and some stiffness in my neck. I had on my riding jacket, boots, gloves and helmet, what I didn't have on was my riding pants. Levi's don't hold up when you sliding down a mountain and that's where I suffered most of my injuries.

This makes three crashes in five year, two of which were from crap in the roadway on a curve. I figure my time is just about up, you just can't keep doing this and live to tell about it. After riding for almost 44 years I'm going to hang it up. I plan on retiring next year in March and I have many places to see before leaving this planet. It was nice riding with all of you, and I still plan on attending some of the rallies. Ride safe and keep the rubber on the black top. thumbsup.gif

Robert,

First of all I'm glad to hear you didn't suffer more serious injury. thumbsup.gif

It takes a lot of courage to decide not to ride when it obviously has been such a large part of your life.

A tip of the hat to you in making a decision each one of us has faced at different times.

Hope you can still hang here and give us advice from time to time.

Regards.

Robert,

So sorry to hear about such a horrible mishap, but glad that you lived to tell the tale.

Best wishes for long, happy, healthy and accident-free life. wave.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Robert,

Might I suggest you give this decision a bit of time. I've been riding a bit longer than you and have suffered quite a few injuries as a result of some of my antics on bikes. Some of them kept me off bikes for protracted periods and at one point or another, I too, considered just packing it in.

With retirement coming, you'll have time for more leisurly rides which, in their own way, can be just as much fun as strafing the mountains. Motorcycling has brought you a lifelong enjoyment, sure, doodoo do happen but the heat of the moment is not the time to make a decision that will effect the rest of your life.

Robert,

I'm glad you were not more seriously injured. Sounds like a scary accident.

As far as hanging it up, I respect your decision. However, I would also suggest waiting a few weeks or months until the shock and depression from the accident recede then re-evaluate. The decision may well be the same, but at that time the decision will probably be less emotional.

This makes three crashes in five year, two of which were from crap in the roadway on a curve. I figure my time is just about up, you just can't keep doing this and live to tell about it. After riding for almost 44 years I'm going to hang it up.

I feel a little differently than those who suggest you reconsider, because I can relate.

I flew airplanes in two declared wars and any number of undeclared ones, with many narrow escapes that never fazed me. Then, one day I was ferrying a twin-engine plane (Gulfstream G1) from the Philippines to the Middle East the long way around (don't ask), and at 25,000 feet over the Pacific I lost both (that's two of two) engines. I got one back at 1800 feet and managed to limp into Adak in the Aleutians, but I'd gotten the message: If I made it through this one, I'd be done flying. Got to my destination, walked away from the airplane, and never flew an airplane again. That was over 20 years ago.

My take is when you get the message, pay attention and just walk away. There are plenty of other things to spend your money on.

Enjoy your retirement. Maybe hang-gliding would be fun...wink.gif

Philip

This makes three crashes in five year, two of which were from crap in the roadway on a curve.

I know this is gonna sound callous - it's not meant to be that way. Is there perhaps a problem with technique since there seems to be a repeating theme to these accidents? Are you maximizing sight distances? Are you adjusting your speed to match your sight distances with respect to being able to STOP within your sight distance? I go by Dave Hough's recommendations and it's 'roughly' a second per 10 mph. So at 50 mph entering a curve - you'd better have a handle on what's at least 5 seconds ahead. It's longer down the road than you might think.

If your heart is not in it - so be it. I'd say retire. But if it just takes a simple adjustment to your riding technique to keep you safe - it might be worth a try?

Just some thoughts.....

Glad you weren't hurt worse.

I had a very similar experience to PhilP but in an A-Star helicopter and a lot closer to the ground (boom). I flew for another year, then lost a very good pilot friend to a crash. My wife at the time begged me to quit, and I did. I do miss it. bncry.gif

I have been in two major bike accidents in 36 years. Each was the cause in changes made to my ridding style. The last accident was in 1988. I’ve put on about 150,000 miles since then without even laying a bike over. thumbsup.gif

Of course whatever you decide is a personal choice, but by concentrating on the ways I don’t want to ride, I’ve been safe for almost 20 years. Anyone would respect whatever decision you make. clap.gif

My Pappy used to say, there are only two types of motorcycle riders, those have been down, and those who will go down. He quit ridding not long after he said that… eek.gif

After riding for almost 44 years I'm going to hang it up. I plan on retiring next year in March and I have many places to see before leaving this planet.

Glad you are ok. But old man, how are going to see those "many places" without a bike? Don't tell me, a cage? dopeslap.gif

First off let me say I'm glad you're here to post about this accident and glad you weren't injured worse.

Secondly, I respect your decision and how difficult it must have been to make.

Thirdly, I wish you many happy, healthy years in your retirement. See the world !!!! thumbsup.gif

AdventurePoser

Hi Robert,

It seems that you are making this decision only after LOTS of critical thought. I really think that is admirable!

Best of luck to you in the next stage of your adventure. What will it be? Sailing? Photography? Hiking?

Remember, with a bike or not, you always have a home here!

Steve in So Cal

• 4 weeks later...

I've never dropped a bike at over two miles an hour; no injuries, just imbarrassments. I know I still have nightmares from previous car accidents and probably don't drive as competatively because of them. Not driving is not an option obviously, so I've just had to work through them and keep on going.

In contrast, I had a sailboat 20some years ago. I bought a 16" daysailer so I could teach myself to sail and then see if I wanted to move up or move out. It was a lot of fun and I could lean it over to the max while hanging off the leeward side. It was a lot of fun until I capsized. I bobbed up and down in the water for three hours getting hypothermia and running out of adrenaline. It quit being fun. In fact, it was never fun again. Everytime I took it out after that, with the least gust of wind, I'd release the sheets and stall out. I even tried just running up the main and reefing it so it couldn't do more than drift with the wind at slow speed. It still wasn't fun and I wasn't comfortable. I finally sat down and talked to myself. This is an optional activity. It isn't necessary to my life and certainly not to my future lifestyle. The boat is still in my driveway; only now it is beginning to resemble a large planter from all the things growing in the mulch created by fallen leaves and sticks.

Maybe that's all you need to say to yourself. It's quit being fun. Why put yourself through it if you're not enjoying it. It's optional.

I will also tell you that, when I go on vacation, I'll rent a small Sunfish (sort of a surfboard with a triagular sail) and putz around on it. I don't care if it flips and I'm not out of my comfort zone. That's still fun.

I'm kinda late to this thread, but I respect your deceision, it seems like the correct one.

I view riding as only slightly more dangerous then getting in my cage. I was in a minor accident in 1978, and since then I've covered 300k miles safely with great enjoyment, the last 200 of that in the last 6 years.

But 3 major crashes in 5 years is a lot. I don't know your riding style, so I don't know if its just bad luck, or your style is in conflict with your well being. I don't mean to sound harsh, but some are just not meant to ride, it could be the personality, it could be the attitude, or it could be perception, heck it could be ALOT of stuff that all points to the fact this guy prolly doesn't need to be ridin. Heck I even KNOW a few of them, and God Bless Em' they just don't watch what they're doing.

I even view a close call as a failure of some sort on my end.

Years riding has no meaning, what counts is miles. A guy could have owned a bike for 30 years, and be less experienced then the 2 year guy with 100k miles, in all kinds of condtions and roads. You can have all the miles and experience in the world, but if you don't constantly apply it, not gonna do you much good.

BUT if you know the causes of your accidents i.e. too much speed, failure to ALWAYS read the road surface, or not leading ahead where YOU want to go, then you can see how to correct things, and maybe give it one last try.

Archived