IGNORED

Stability in the Wind

BULLman

Noticed before my crash, that my Tiger was being affected greatly by the wind - while my riding buddies [FJR a& R12ST] seemed to be unaffected.

Noticed it again, after Turkeyfest II - this time I was with another Tiger [whose supsension was lowered] and he was unaffected.

What's the deal? confused.gif

I've got new tourances and probably out weigh the other guys by 100+ lbs [could that be it???? wouldn't more weight = more stable dopeslap.gif]

Do I need new shocks?

Setup on shocks are wrong? Who could help with this?

Need to run higher air-pressure on tires?

????

Thanks for the responses wave.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Dan, Marty was getting blown around some on the GS, he said I was rock steady on the K12s.. smaller profile equals less wind force transfer... dopeslap.gif

I was closer to the "ground effects"..

I think it's got a lot to do with the height profile of the bike. On the Tiger, like the GS, you sit pretty high creating a better fulcrum for the wind pressure on your body to act on the bike.

One of the key things I think is to realize that (within reason) the bike is actually going to go anywhere as it is buffed about. Relax a bit, don't try to fight it so much, and go with the flow.

There seems to be differences of opinion as to which is best; lean your body into the (cross) wind and keep the bike more straight upright, or lean the bike upwind and keep yourself more upright, perpendicular to the pavement. In effect cross-controlling the bike to some extent.

I've tried both a lot and really haven't concluded, but of late I'm leaning (pun intended!) more toward the latter approach.

The majority of the time, if this is occurring, it is attributable to the rider.

Try practicing your MYRP and lighten up the grip on the bars. Even if you think you are not that firm a grip, lighten up more and remove some weight off the arms.

A nautral reaction to an outside input (i.e., wind) is to tighten up the body as a whole, lock the arms, and grip the bars firmer. Fit that reaction with practice and a conscious effort of telling yourself.

My $.02, YMMV, IMO. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

It really is the high profile of the bike and the height at which it places the rider. Add to that the bikini fairing that puts any side thrust on the bike right into the steering head and you have the formula for an interesting ride in gusty cross winds.

Coming off a GS Adventure to my Honda Blackbird really points up the difference. The Blackbird is probably one of the 2 or 3 most aerodynamic bikes out there as witness it's near 180 mph top speed with (only) 138 or so RWHP. It really shows up on the highway where it almost immune to wake turbulence from large vehicles and doesn't put up much of a fight in even 40 mph cross winds. The GS Adv was all but unridable in the same conditions and, with a Jesse bags and top box in place became aerodynamically unstable at 115 mph and twitchy at anything over 85 in even still air.

On either bike, the best way for me to deal with it was to lean the bike into the wind and keep my body upright. Kinda climbing onto the lee'ard side of the seat.

bullman....in your defense it was extremely windy sunday. you would've had a helluva crosswind heading home. i feel less wake turbulance on the v-strom than i do on the RT. both feel pretty solid however. rode the RT sunday with the new Givi topcase on it (primarily for the v-strom) and did not really even notice it was there going or coming.

your post was interesting to me as i've been curious as to the handling in blustery conditions on the taller GS/Tiger type moto's.

As a way to deal with it, a technique that I learned is to stick your knee out on the side the wind is coming from. When the wind is gusting, just leave it out there. Not sure I can explain the effect fully, but it goes a long way toward stabilizing the bike, especially in nasty gusts. YMMV. Good Luck.

As a way to deal with it, a technique that I learned is to stick your knee out on the side the wind is coming from. When the wind is gusting, just leave it out there. Not sure I can explain the effect fully, but it goes a long way toward stabilizing the bike, especially in nasty gusts. YMMV. Good Luck.

confused.gif

Speed brake & shift of center of gravity??

I went on a 250 mile ride on Monday on my F650GS. The wind was bad and I had a very difficult time controlling the bike. Add a constant stream of big trucks to further churn up the air and I had a miserable time (scrared to death).

Will an R1200RT do better in the wind? I was contemplating a move up because I really like the looks of it and it has a lot more accessories than the 650 - but if it does better in wind that might be just the kick I need to drop the major $$$.

Will an R1200RT do better in the wind?
Well, I can't answer your question 100%, but I will say this: My f650cs was miserable in the wind compared to my ST. I even posted a question about how unsafe it felt because I got pummeled by some gusts one time as I hit the wind coming out of a nearby canyon. However, wind has never been an issue with my r1200st. Sure, I've been hit with some cross-winds, but I haven't been bothered to the point of being worried or scared. Maybe it's just luck, or maybe it's the better wind protection. I like to think it's both.

Thanks for the responses. Kinda worried about when my friend's Tiger wasn't affected... guess I am a bigger wind brake than he is. On top off this, I have the GIVI bags, while my friend has the Triumph Factory bags, and they stick out further than his [i guess I thinking wind sails].

Last time I had trouble in the wind - I discovered that the four bolts on my top triple-tree where gone eek.gif They are still there THIS time clap.gif

BTW, last Sun's ride really took it out of me - didn't leave the house Mon or Tues [slept all day] tongue.gif Still pretty tired, but collarbone seems to be okay thumbsup.gif

Will an R1200RT do better in the wind?
Yes, for rider protection. However the R12RT does get moved around a bit by the wind and wind blast from trucks. I notice it most when I have the 49l BMW trunk on mine. With it off the effect wind/wind blast has on my RT is reduced perhaps by as much as 50 to 75%. I've gotten used to and it does not bother me at all. I think it's product of having a bike with a large fairing and is relatively light. I can also tell you that the effect the wind has goes up noticeably as the gas tank empties.

Archived