IGNORED

Tomorrows trip to work...

wilsons

will be STUPID cold out.

Like mid teens for temps.

But it's dry out.

So.. do I ride? I've done it before but maybe I'm starting to think more about cold road and cold tire's.

I'd love to try this new glove setup in that cold.

ShovelStrokeEd

Shawn,

Go ahead and ride.

Cold road and cold tires will be a factor to consider so certainly take it easy till things warm up. I wouldn't go whacking the throttle open on corner exits or go diving deep into the first turn you encounter. Prudent riding and you should be fine.

Things to which you need to pay extra attention are shiney spots on the road. If those temps have been around overnight, the road surface will quickly freeze spilled water and the like and the traction is nearly non-existant over that stuff, even if it hasn't formed a puddle. The little bit of ice fills in the irregularities of road surface that make for grip for the tires and all Hades can break loose in a hurry.

I rode from Baton Rouge to Gainesville, FL in sub 20 degree temps a few years ago and had no incidents. Good thing, too, as I was on my LT at the time.

I would be more worried about the return trip than your departure. Sunny day, even though cold, can melt ice built up at the side of the road and make for some slippery stripes on the road after the sun goes down. Be vigilant and all should be well.

well, luckily ill be leaving during the warmest part of the day. However, I have thought about riding around different towns here and gazing over the christmas lights on the bike. It may not even make it to freezing tomorrow anyway so that may help. smile.gif

These gloves I bought (Tourmaster winter gloves):

wintereliteglove.jpg

Worked great yesterday, was like 35 degree's, and my hands were overly warm, using the liners with the gloves, and heated grips on low.

Thats why I'm anxious to see how they work below that.

Thanks for the tips thumbsup.gif

I ride to work in any temperature. When the possibility of frozen water is null (unlike right now here with 6" of snow on the ground) I pay more attention to the humidity forecast that the temp. one. If the humidity is high during the night the chances for black ice are greater. Which can be a real gotcha.

I ride to work in any temperature.

I got this one for ya Whip!!!!

Torrey is now your new work!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif Or else you're fired!!

I don't mind em too much. My finger tips got cold though this morning, 14 degree's felt like 7, factor in my speed and you can take that down well below 0 I bet.

I think to continue riding in this cold, I need heated liners.

All else, I was warm.

I ride to work in any temperature.

I got this one for ya Whip!!!!

Torrey is now your new work!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif Or else you're fired!!

It's always nice to know someone has your back. thumbsup.gif

Whip

My Winter commutes have consisted of two to three months of leaving in temps of 20F or below, and riding through a canyon in dark to growing light, all without temperature related incident. Ten years worth.

Like Ken mentioned, I'm much more concerned with how water brings negative affects to the road surface, as ice, snow, sand, or mud and rocks.

Sport Touring, and even most Touring tires work just fine in cold temps. In zero F, it does take five to ten miles of riding at 45 mph to get them softened up to profoundly useful temperatures. The way to tell that all is "just fine" is in how they are "riding": What is their bump compliance feeling like? When "too cold" the carcass is not flexing and rebounding well, and the ride will feel bumpy. When that subsides, "things are OK".

"Things are OK" means that a rational and prudent Rider has her equipment in a normal zone. Just like about wet roads, according to the manufacturers their tires produce 80% or more of their normal traction on wetted pavements. In tire operating temps of 50F to 75F (100F - 125F is "normal" for street tires) you've got that "80% or more" of normal traction.

So... a "reasonable and prudent Rider" is one whose normal, every day pace is about 80% of our arbitrated and considered "limit" for traction. We're all normally riding below "Limit Land". If we didn't slow down any when road conditions deteriorate because of water of low temperature, we are very likely not in a deadly zone of speed - but we certainly have cut into our Margin, the margin of prudence.

I suggest folks slow down 10mph in the rain (10% of 100mph). That buys back 20% of traction - an additional 20% beyond the x% the rider normally leaves in her Riding. Doing the same in extreme cold is going to produce a similar situation, one where traction is not a pressing issue - but all the other dangers and liabilities endemic to the circumstances are still out there.

Best wishes with your choices.

Wow, cool, thanks grin.gif

In the cold (and/or rain) I tend to ride very conservatively, no railing turns or agressiveness except maybe on the straights a little, but even that I'm careful. I Basically assume the tires (in the cold) don't warm up to where they should be, and just take it easy. smile.gif

My ride back home was ok. Hands where just chilly, but it was 28 degree's. So considering, thats not bad.

I plan to ride to work at 0600 and the temp will be 26 degrees in the morning, my commute is 52 miles. I will have my Belstaff cold weather gear on! should be fine I think....The temp.will be about 50 on return trip.

It was 19F this morning in the Hill Country when I left the house eek.gif

However, beautiful blue skies were in the forecast....so we met up at Glen Luckeys workshop for a short while to sit around the stove, b.s., drink coffee and talk about everything and everything. Then 4 of us took off for a 150 mile tour de twisties and the temp rose into the 40's by late morning and it was nothing short of mahvellous dahling. No heated gear, just layering, solar heat and the RT.....Man! I came back rejuvenated thumbsup.gif.

With good gear and layering you can easily ride in the 20's.....

Man! I came back rejuvenated thumbsup.gif.

Thats the best kind thumbsup.gif

I like riding in the cold, like 30's 40's, you can easily stay warm.

Yea it's gonna be in the low 20's instead of the low teens like today.

I'm anxious to compare. Though humidity is gonna rise around 7am to 77%

Not so sure about tomorrow.

AdventurePoser

I like riding in the cold, like 30's 40's, you can easily stay warm.

Yea it's gonna be in the low 20's instead of the low teens like today.

I'm anxious to compare. Though humidity is gonna rise around 7am to 77%

Not so sure about tomorrow.

You guys are my gods....

114611964-M.jpg

I'm happier in much warmer climes! thumbsup.gif

Steve in Sunny So Cal

I'm happier in much warmer climes! thumbsup.gif

I'm with you, it is much nicer in warmer climes... But that's not what life has given me at the moment, so I ride in all temperatures. Colorado is pretty dry so when we do get snow it is usually gone soon (except for the past week), but I routinely ride in temperatures well below freezing. As others have said, you have to watch out for cold tires, sand, ice, melting snow that runs across the road and freezes, bridges that can have ice on them when the road is dry, frost on your visor, etc. Other than that it is great. Just wear layers and ride.

Archived