IGNORED

I too was involved in my first motorcycle accident (Advice Welcome)

JoeV

I too was involved in my first MC accident, on a public way. I have crashed on the track and in the dirt but never on a public way.

I started a new post because, althought the subject is "almost" the same as another recent post, the details are different.

However my accident also involved a pick up truck.

On Sunday 17-DEC-2006 in Acton MA when I pulled into a strip mall parking lot I realized the bookstore I thought was in that strip mall wasn't there. When I saw a woman getting into her car I stopped beind her car to ask if she knew if the store had moved or was I just in the wrong place. To make it easier for her to hear me I turned off the bike.

Just as I turned off the bike a pickup truck backing out of a spot from accross the driveway, swung out of his spot, turned 90deg and backed straight into the back of my rear tire. Hitting the very back of my rear wheel with his rear bumper. He was facing the other way but we were in a striaght line. I was almost able to prevent the bike from falling over but couldn't stop it. I did set it down slowly on it's left cyl head. (R1150r). Luckily I have those plastic head gaurds.

The peg feeler broke off and one of the reflectors on the rear fender poped off. They are just on with double sided tape.

The driver of the truck was very cool. He offered to pay for any damages and was glad I was OK.

It was a good thing I had been wearing my padded leathers, as I always do when I ride, because I came down pretty hard on my left knee. I just LOVE padded riding gear!

In hind sight I could have pulled into a valid parking spot before asking for directions but when I saw the woman heading for her car I realized I could avoid taking off the helmet, riding gloves, unplugging the heated gear to walk into one of the shops to ask for directions and simply ask her.

Leson learned for me: "Don't park, even for a minute or two, in a spot where cage drivers expect to be able to drive. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Anyway I've been riding for over 30years and this is the first MC accident I've been in on a public way. If I'm lucky enough to make it another 30years before something this trivial happens I'll be doing very well!

Any thoughts from folks out there please share them.

"Embarrassed and Humbled" JoeV blush.gif

Just as I turned off the bike a pickup truck backing out of a spot from accross the driveway, swung out of his spot, turned 90deg and backed straight into the back of my rear tire. Hitting the very back of my rear wheel with his rear bumper.

They can have nasty rear visibility in parking lots. I consider myself a good driver but on a recent test drive, I found it hard to park a Ram 2500 in tight quarters. Maybe it was my inexperience in type.

It's good you were not hurt.

Don't park, even for a minute or two, in a spot where cage drivers expect to be able to drive.

Or, stop the engine with the kill switch, but leave the ignition in the on position so that a quick blast of the horn can be administered if needed. grin.gif

Joe,

Glad you're ok and thanks for the lesson.

My other vehicle is a Ford F-150 and backup visibility is poor. I am thankful I have backup sensors which lower the radio volume and sound an alarm in the cab if something is behind the vehicle when in reverse. They come in handy frequently.

Good luck with your next 30 years.

Jeff

Any thoughts from folks out there please share them

A visual scan of the immediate area may have spotted the driver of the truck in the cab, getting into the cab, running lights turning on, etc. alerting you to the potential danger.

And, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, seems like you have done pretty well with your track record. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

What I do:

In my dreams:

1st, wave them off, with a pushing motion, like I was trying to shove the passenger off my bike.

2nd, wait for a straight, downshift, and find a place to pull out. You've always got more acceleration than armour.

3rd, pull a 540 3 feet in front of their bumper, whip out the 44, and blow the hell out of their windshield. The kickback on the shells will help get the bike going forward again.

Not in my dreams: I usually find # 2 is the best way without dumping for some stupid reason. (and they always seem to be volvos, what's up with that?)

Archived