IGNORED

first time riding double

wolcott

I have a lady friend coming down to Florida to visit me on Jan. 11th for a week. I wish to give her a ride on my bikes. Besides my RT, I have a 1200 sportster. I will start by giving her rides on the smaller sportster for a couple of days, then hope to graduate up to the RT. I have only had a friend on the back of the sportster once, a few years ago.

1) Any tips or suggestions for taking a passenger for a ride on the back?

2)Any certain things I should explain to them?

3)I know a lot of y'all ride with your significant others, and you must have started as rookies at some time. Any glaring mistakes you made when first starting off riding a passenger?

Does your lady friend have any riding experience? You’ll definitely notice a difference in how the brakes and the suspension behave. I would practice braking so your passenger knows what it feels like normally and in a hard braking/diving scenario—because that’s one situation that will test your skills and her nerve.

I would go straight to the RT. The reason is pretty simple. The RT is much more comfortable for a pillion then the sportster. I have had several different pillions on my bike recently, and in each case I have told them the same thing. Don't get on or off before I tell them to. I encourage them to be sack of potatoes. They are not to be monkeys trying to counter steer etc. Then I tell them it is ok to step on the back footpeg. That way they think of it as a step to get on rather then thinking they need to be a Romanian gymnast to mount the bike.

Have fun, and if you have any way to talk to each other (ala autocom) I suggest you use it. Makes a HUGE difference.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

Couple of tricks I've used when talking to riders who aren't used to 2-up riding:

Rider gets on the bike first. Go ahead and start the bike, bike in neutral, still on side stand. I also use the front brake to hold the bike in place.

Have the passenger mount from the left, after the rider says they're ready. For that matter, passenger doesn't get on or off the bike without the rider saying they're ready, and once on the bike passenger keeps their feet on the pegs at all time.

I have the passenger hold on, and look to the inside of my helmet on any turns. It moves them just a little, without overly causing them to countersteer.

Whether to start on the RT or the HD, I would leave that to you based on comfort level. Not knowing which bike you've been riding longer, or how much riding experience you have in general, I would take the one you're most comfortable with. The HD might have an advantage with the lower seat height, but I do think the RT will be more comfortable for the passenger.

Michael,

Use the RT.

Take a friend for a ride before she visits so you can practice stop/go, stop/foot down, stop/turn, that way you will be getting back up to speed (you have done this before tongue.gif?).

Beg, borrow some gear that will fit her. Helmet is particularly important. It's worth buying one if one isn't available.

Riding w/SO-friend can be a very enjoyable experience.

Best wishes.

All good points from the above.

If you get a chance, Performance Riding has a good section on same.

Basically the others have covered the most important.

Plan the first ride to be on open road even if she has to drive there and you ride there.

Second, stopping is a real surprise and will take her awhile to get used to.

Have her hold onto your waist with her hands, down low then she will not be pushing you forward. Always head to side seeing what is up front.

Expect her helmet to hit your helmet on stops.

East does it, but do not be timid because you have a passenger, you need to be much further down the road than normal, enjoy!

She NEVER gets on or off without your permission, period. cool.gif

Survived-til-now

Lots of good advice already given in reply to your thread, to which I'd add

Brake earlier and gentler

Change up or down earlier than normal

Go steady on the corners - some pillions feel very uneasy about corners so taking her out and throwing her into a series of twisters is likely to go down badly (you didn't say if she has been on the back of a bike before)

An autocom or similar makes life so much easier but if you don't have one agree a couple of signals she can give you (including one that indicates slow down....)

Even if she has ridden a bike before, and especially if she has not, you are on trial here. Give her a smooth ride that doesn't scare her and she'll be back. On the other hand if you scare her she'll thank you for the ride and then you'll probably not see her for dust......

Hope it goes well (and I'd take her on the RT as well)

As others have recommended I would not put her on the back of the Sportster. I am not a "Harley Basher" but for a bunch of reasons a Sportster is not the best bike for two-up riding. Especially if all you have is a small pad for the passenger and no sissy bar. Don't forget to adjust your spring preload and tire pressure on which ever bike you take. If you have the top case for the RT you might consider putting it on. Makes it a little harder to mount and dismount but it might make her fell a little more secure. Riding two up will provide instant feedback on how smooth you ride and where you might need a little work.

Have fun!

Mike

Most of the important points have already been covered, but it may interest you to know that passing your bike test here in the UK involves (as you might expect) a verbal question and answer section, mainly relating to the bike itself, but there is ALWAYS a question in the test relating to passengers, so everybody who undergoes the test will have memorised the answers.

The question will be one of two: 1) What changes to the bike setup can you expect when carrying a passenger, or 2) what instructions should you give a passenger who may not have ridden on a bike before?

It's been a while since I sat the test, but the one answer to question 2 that I remember that I have not yet seen mentioned here is not to make any kind of hand or arm signal which may cause confusion to other road users. So no waving to friends across the road, etc.

Anybody out there sat the test recently and can remember the other answers?

Thanks for all of your words of wisdom. Feel free to add anything more to this thread as I will be checking back on it. I don't know if she has ever ridden on the back of a bike. I will be buying her a new helmet and some other goodies; I already know she will fit into one of my leather jackets- we are both small, slim people. The tip to take a friend out before she gets here, and practice braking is a good tip as were all the others. I intend to just take it easy. The sportster has a nice king and queen seat and a sissy bar- it is just a tossup to me whether or not I should take that first- it has a nice seating postion and is easier to ride. However, like some of you have pointed out, the RT is more comfortable, not to mention smoother, more powerful, and has ABS brakes. I hope to show her some of the old Florida like the Everglades, Florida Panther National Wildlife refuge, (I have my grizzly pepper spray as a precaution) and some other cool places.

Archived