IGNORED

Wiring the Zumo to an '03 RT

MotoMatt

Ok I know it has been beat to death, but I searched the archives and can't find exactly what I am looking for. During my search I noticed that some with the 1200RT used an existing socket on the bike designed for the BMW GPS to wire in their Zumo. Does anyone know if such a socket exist on earlier models ('03 1150RT)? I wiould prefer to use an existig socket with their pigtail instead of trying to splice into a switched circuit. My problem is I know enough to be dangerous. Thanks for any help!

The GPS socket does not exist on your bike. There should be a blue radio connector with four wires on your left fork near the glove/radio box. The third wire is 12v and fourth wire is a ground. I used these to connect my GPS and radar detector. You will probably have to remove the left side tupperware to get to the plug. Note that the hot wire is always on except for when the ignition is in the fork-locked or park position.

Note that the hot wire is always on except for when the ignition is in the fork-locked or park position.

Thanx Karp, that's good stuff right there. I need to wire up my GPS tomorrow, I'll look for that connector. Did you purchase the other half of the connector from BMW or did you cut and splice at the connector?

Note that the hot wire is always on except for when the ignition is in the fork-locked or park position.

Thanx Karp, that's good stuff right there. I need to wire up my GPS tomorrow, I'll look for that connector. Did you purchase the other half of the connector from BMW or did you cut and splice at the connector?

I read somewhere that someone found a GM connector that fit the plug. I just soldered a pair of quick disconnects onto the wires and left the plug alone. I took a quick picture, although it would be easier to see with the tupperware removed.

847069-Dscf0326.jpg.2181553aac50e38d4d7ef542fde0a7c4.jpg

Thanks for the good information. I am not too sure that I want to have the power always on, especially since I rarely use the fork lock or park postions. So I wil probably just tap off another wire, probably the parking light, like I did for my PIAAs. If anyone has a better idea I am all ears!

I read somewhere that someone found a GM connector that fit the plug. I just soldered a pair of quick disconnects onto the wires and left the plug alone. I took a quick picture, although it would be easier to see with the tupperware removed.

Karp,

I am about to do this. What kind of quick disconnects did you use. In the past I have used some wire taps that crimp onto an existing wire. But I have heard that they are not ideal. Also do you have any more information about the "GM" connector that you mentioned. That would be preferable to me.

Karp,

I am about to do this. What kind of quick disconnects did you use. In the past I have used some wire taps that crimp onto an existing wire. But I have heard that they are not ideal. Also do you have any more information about the "GM" connector that you mentioned. That would be preferable to me.

I just soldered quick disconnects to a couple of short pieces of wire, then soldered the wires to the wires going to the plug. I don't have any more information on the GM connector but an auto parts store may give some help.

Are you sure about that 3rd wire in the blue connector? I think you are talking about the red and white wire. I've got mine open now to wire a Zumo, and the red and white wire is always 12v even when the steering is locked. I read in the M/C FAQ that the violet/black wire in the radio harness is switched power, so my plan was to use that, but I checked that also, and it is 12v until I lock the steering (so it is kind of switched I guess). It does not appear to me there is a true switched power source in the radio harness (true being no 12v until you key the bike to the ignition postion).

There should be a blue radio connector with four wires on your left fork near the glove/radio box. The third wire is 12v and fourth wire is a ground. I used these to connect my GPS and radar detector. You will probably have to remove the left side tupperware to get to the plug. Note that the hot wire is always on except for when the ignition is in the fork-locked or park position.

Oops, meant to quote this post.

On the round terminal BMW radio connectors I haven’t found a GM connector that will work (I have access to most GM connectors from the last 30 years) .. The GM weather pack TERMINALS will fit (need to push on firmly though).. You can crimp on the GM weather pack terminals, then cover the terminal with heat shrink tubing (that will insulate the terminal) then just push onto the correct BMW radio terminals.. That is all you would really need to do but I filled the BMW connector open end with some silicone calk to keep the moisture out (I had that filled before wiring in the Zuno so it (the silicone calk) will pry back out fairly easily) ..

I would think you would like to have the Zumo powered all the time not just with the ign switch ON.. That way when you stop for gas or just for a few minutes you don’t have to fool with switching it over to internal battery to keep your route alive or keep your MP3 list alive.. I know personally I wouldn’t want the Zumo to be hooked to ign only power.. It really won’t hurt to leave it turned on with it hooked to the bike battery power as it draws such a small amount of power it won’t run the battery down.. I leave my Zumo powered up over night or even longer with no noticeable battery drain.. That also keeps the internal Zumo battery charged up at all times..

Twisty

For those interested in wiring an accessory on an 1100, here is a summary of the power available at the radio connector on a 1999 RT:

There is a white plastic plug with two pins in it. The red/white wire to this plug is always hot with 12V. The purple wire to this plug is hot when the key is on or in the ignition off/steering unlocked position. The purple wire is cold when the steering is locked.

There is also a purple wire with a female spade connector on the end. This wire behaves the same as the purple wire in the white connector.

There is also a brown wire with a female spade connector. This is ground.

Finally there are two speaker connectors.

This is great info. I checked it out and am quite pleased with the results. Unfortunately, the fuse is out on my multi-meter. I used the turn signal lamp to test for power - it is as described above.

DO NOT - test for power continuity using the turn signal lamp with the Zumo power cord - incandescent lamps draw > 2 amps. I have a blown 2A fuse to replace.

I am now looking for a place to run the power cord and hank the extra.

Thanks for the assistance.

Here is an earlier thread

BMW calls the blue connector near the radio on an 1150 the "optional extra" connector. I'd like to know myself where to buy a mating connector.

edit: It looks like what is generically called a Molex connector. One brand name for these is AMP Mate-N-Lok but I don't know if that brand includes a part that will mate the connector on an 1150

Thanks!!!

I have completed the mounting of the Zumo to the '01 RT. I appreciate the information provided in this thread. I managed not to do any (more) stupid things and it is ready to go.

• 2 years later...

I installed the GPS with the assistance of this forum 3 years ago. All was well until this morning. The GPS now has no power.

I connected this to the purple wire (positive) and brown wire (ground). What could be causing the power interruption to the purple wire?

I checked the GPS fuse, Radio fuse, and continuity in the wire. Is there someone who knows about the radio wiring harness? Is there another area I should check?

For those interested in wiring an accessory on an 1100, here is a summary of the power available at the radio connector on a 1999 RT:

There is a white plastic plug with two pins in it. The red/white wire to this plug is always hot with 12V. The purple wire to this plug is hot when the key is on or in the ignition off/steering unlocked position. The purple wire is cold when the steering is locked.

There is also a purple wire with a female spade connector on the end. This wire behaves the same as the purple wire in the white connector.

There is also a brown wire with a female spade connector. This is ground.

Finally there are two speaker connectors.

Archived