IGNORED

BMW Comfort Shell Suit - Review

BitScribbler

BitScribbler

Well, I never thought I'd buy a "shell suit"!

Ok, it's very expensive, which is an obvious down-side, but the key question is, does it actually work? It claims to block the wind when it's cold, and let it through when it's hot.

The answer is, blimey, yes! (Remember I'm in the UK so I won't be experiencing Arizona temperatures)

I've used it at zero degrees C with just a warm woollen underneath, and at 20 degrees C without, and been comfortable both times. It's definitely waterproof (fully tested!), has plenty of pockets and is very light to wear.

I still haven't opened the air vents, so I'm sure this will be pretty cool up to 25-30 degrees C, after which of course, no waterproof kit will ever be completely comfortable. This range of temperature will pretty much cover my riding for 90% of the time.

The only thing to really get used to is the latest armour, which initially feels very hard and unbending. The sales staff say, just walk around for 10 minutes, and when it warms up it'll be much more flexible. That's true, and after a few hundred miles it's a lot less noticable too as it shapes to my form.

In short, I'm pretty pleased with it, despite the cost. YMMV.

• 1 year later...

Anyone else want to offer an opinion on the Comfort Shell Suit? I'm not really happy with my AST, its soooo heavy. :P

I'm a little put off by the cost of the comfort shell, but if its comfortable in a wide range of temperatures and provides at least as much protection as a cordura suit with protector inserts, I could sucker myself into one of these.

Your comments, thoughts, suggestions? :lurk:

Edit: Bitscribbler, you got an update on the suit?

Isn't BMW close to introducing the Streetguard 3 apparel with the same miracle fabric as in the Comfort Shell (but even more expensive)? If so, and if that fabric proves to be as great as they say weather-wise, then the SG3 jacket ought to be just about the ultimate!

Isn't BMW close to introducing the Streetguard 3 apparel with the same miracle fabric as in the Comfort Shell (but even more expensive)? If so, and if that fabric proves to be as great as they say weather-wise, then the SG3 jacket ought to be just about the ultimate!

Indeed it should be! But being a so-called 4-seasons suit it is definitely going to be heavier than the ComfortShell, which is marketing as a summer touring suit (it replaced the Light n'Easy suit).

A friend of mine on ADVrider sold his Ralley and bought the comfort shell for a 48 state in 30 day ride on his GSA. He absolutely loved it. He says it is comfortable up into the 90s here in Tucson and absolutely waterproof. He'd buy another if anything happen to this one. I personally think it's ugly but maybe it works very well.

Actually, since I wrote that report I have also crash-tested the suit, with a 30mph front-end wash-out.

The suit passed with flying colours. Apart from some nasty bruising to my hip I got away with it. The suit was scuffed somewhat, but is still completely usable.

Apropos the "light 'n' easy" suit, my wife was wearing one in the same crash. She too escaped ok, apart from a damaged foot which got trapped by the peg as we fell. This suit is quite a bit lighter than the Comfort-Shell actually, and was damaged sufficiently for us to replace it. Naturally, she's now got a Comfort shell suit too!

My views haven't changed since my first post. It's still a great suit.

I've been lurking on this forum for many years, but thought I would throw in my thoughts since I've had the Comfort Shell for a few years. Previously, I had a Savanna 2 jacket/pants which is very nice but not waterproof and I was looking for one suit that functioned well in a variety of temperatures and was waterproof.

Pros:

- Very functional riding in temperatures from the low 30's - 90's.

- Great construction and materials

- Excellent armour/protection

- Waterproof

- One outfit that does it all

Cons:

- Cost

- Does seem a bit stiff when you first put it on, but does become more flexible

- Broke the jacket zipper pull, but plan to replace it with cord for easier use with gloves

Subjective:

I personally like the look because it is basically plain and

functional looking.

So what dealer in Texas would actually carry the BMW apparel line? My six year old Rukka suit is still functional, but if I hit my optimum weight later this year (pie is a serious problem) the suit will be too big for me. Lone Star doesn't have any BMW stuff.

I looked at Revit gear before I purchased the BMW Comfort Shell and the quality is excellent. The Revit Infinity Suit was not out when I bought my Comfort Shell so I cannot comment specifically on that item's features/construction but I have no doubt it is outstanding. My body proportions almost always necessitate getting a jacket/pants combo that can zip together. The Comfort Shell provides that option. I also like the additional airflow you typically can get with a two piece system versus a one piece suit.

Dave... I'm curious what construction differences you noticed to conclude the Revit Infinity suit is better made? Don't say better zipper pulls! :-)

John

Hmmmm, our local Ducati dealer carries Revit, and has a lot of options in womens sizes but I scare myself everytime I go in there. I guess I need to go try some things on. :lurk:

I got it, and it fits and feels great. Can't wait for some ridin weather. Anyone interested in one of the needs to contact Sean at BMW San Diego, I saved a lot of money. They have an ebay store and accept bids. Pm me and I'll give you the minimum bid.

John,

Here are the main items that drew me to the Revit Infinity suit over the Aerostitch, BMW, or Olympia.

The Revit suit has true waterproof zippers similar to a diving drysuit which eliminates the main leak spot of the Aerostitch, etc(leaky crotch). It also has a trick tunnel to snake a heated liner cord out without letting rain leak in. The suit is made with the latest high tech fabrics from Schoeler. They claim abrasion resistance much higher than leather or cordura (thankfully haven't tested yet). Also they claim dirt will not stick to the fabric on a molecular level which seems to work. My suit is light grey in color and does not show dirt or road grime so common in winter riding. Pads in all the right places and seem to stay in place well rather than rolling out of place. The pads are the new type which are soft in normal use and instantly turn hard on impact absorbing the energy (works well when banged on the counter, not tested on pavement yet). It just plain fits me better and is quite comfortable (I am 5'9", 190lb with fairly broad shoulders). I have only had the suit since the first of the year, but have been completely dry and warm so far.

I have no association with Revit, I am just convinced of their designs and quality after wearing their Mistral pants for over a year. So far I have not been dissapointed other than the sticker shock from the Infinity suit price.

Dave

Appreciate the input on the Revit Infinity but did not see anything that would support the idea it is any better than the ComfortShell. I'm curious what the Revit offers as an advantage over the ComfortShell. Would assume it is primarily based on price?

I've had the BMW ComfortShell jackets and pants for a while... love them :) They fit me extremely well but took a couple tries to get the Euro sizing down. I also have a 5'-10" 185 lb frame with wider shoulders (44R)... Great fit!

The jacket utilizes the latest and greatest armor in all the right places...

ComfortShell has performed wonderfully through a few TX tropical storm downpours... weatherproof and breathable in the ensuing humidity.

I think the suit is easily usable for four seasons with use of another layer underneath. Plus, honestly... nothing beats the ComfortShell style... understated and fits in well when walking into public locations/stores...

The thing that is suppose to make the CS unique is a new fabric technology that really "opens up" in hot weather and is suppose to be at least 5 degrees cooler. I have not tried it but a local friend has one and swears by it. Still don't like the idea that it only comes in black!

Still don't like the idea that it only comes in black!

The jacket was available in blue, and I believe this season they have it in red. This is certainly true for the UK anyway.

• 2 years later...

Can anyone compare the Comfort Shell jacket to the Airflow jacket? I live in South Florida and am on the fence between both these jackets. I have an old Airflow that works well but it is not waterproof. I'm wondering if the Comfort Shell jacket is too heavy for the heat and humidity down here.

Archived