IGNORED

utube lanesplit crash

bvaughan

actually on the beemers your thumb hovers below the horn button.

When I'm riding, my right thumb is comfortably wrapped around the bottom of the throttle grip.

What does that have to do with the horn button next to the left grip?

dopeslap.gif

I guess that shows you how often I use the horn...I forgot what side the damn button was on.

dopeslap.gif

Same answer, though...my thumbs are used to hold onto the grips, not honk a dumbass little horn in the hopes that someone else will take responsibility for my wellbeing.

While I don't normally lanesplit, (it's not legal in NJ). I don't discount the use of my horn, while evasive action is probably the best course, the horn is one more "tool" in my survival toolbox. I find it's easy to "cover" with my thumb, just like covering the brake with 2 fingers, and I do use it. I also realize with a/c, 7 speaker stereos, etc. it might not be heard but it may be the tool that saves my butt when the evasive action won't.

I often use it when people "stop" at a stop sign on a side street, when they've already entered an intesection. Sometimes they blow their horn back at me in a, "I saw you." type of reaction but I'd rather that, then them not seeing me. To me the horn is just one more part of the "ATGATT"

I often use it when people "stop" at a stop sign on a side street, when they've already entered an intesection. Sometimes they blow their horn back at me in a, "I saw you." type of reaction but I'd rather that, then them not seeing me. To me the horn is just one more part of the "ATGATT"

Most drivers consider intersection stop lines and crosswalks to be just pretty decorations that some DOT guys painted on the road for no actual purpose.

Survived-til-now

I thought about this more as I rode to work in London this morning. I don't think I had switched on to the fact that the lorries in the right lane were actually stationary. I think part of it was that the jeep masked him from the light-truck and by the time he was in view the light-truck had decided to switch lanes, had indicated and the driver was looking to his gap and not at the mirrors. Had our rider been concentrating he could probably have stopped or if he had blown his horn there was time for joint action to have bought him a little more time.

Today was interesting for another reason, I saw three examples of filtering in action all them with quite different techniques.

The ass~~~~~~ who screamed up inside of me and the other traffic in my lane. I was doing "a little over 70mph - officer" and not only was he past and gone it was so quick I couldn't even make out the make of bike. Estimated speed 120mph+ right into slowing traffic building into queues in all three lanes.

Then there was the 1200GS rider that decided to mount the pavement and filter past - obviously watched too much Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman.

But the best was riding home tonight following a paramedic filtering all the way through city traffic, filtering down an inner urban motorway and then up a proper motorway for about 25 miles in total (going home I guess). Occasionally we swapped lead when I found a better way through but the guy was a real pro keeping fast and steady progress a joy to ride with thumbsup.gif.

A point worth noting is that this guy went out a-splitting with his video gear running. Perhaps he was distracted by the demands of his videography. thumbsup.gif

Or, maybe he'd never split before, and was making a movie to show his friends back home in the midwest.

It could be that I'm just envious, since I've never done it, but lane splitting seems about as sensible as helmet-less riding to me.

Archived