IGNORED

:::2004 k T M Adventure 950 - ...talk to me...:::

hANNAbONE

You gotta wonder why the Long Way Round guys did not use KTMs, particularly the 640. Yes I know KTM changed their mind about giving the boys free bikes, but given the money spent on the film (office in London with staff, chase trucks, people on the payroll, etc) you would have thought that two reasonably well off actors could have each very easily afforded a $14k motorcycle.

You gotta wonder why the Long Way Round guys did not use KTMs, particularly the 640. Yes I know KTM changed their mind about giving the boys free bikes, but given the money spent on the film (office in London with staff, chase trucks, people on the payroll, etc) you would have thought that two reasonably well off actors could have each very easily afforded a $14k motorcycle.

Did ya watch the show????

They did wanted the KTMs......not the 640.

BMW gave them bikes, gear and support.(great move btw)

I don't understand your point.......you want them to turn down bikes, support, and gear.

All things being equal they choose the KTM.

?????????????????????????????????????

Of course they could have afforded it, but then they would have been paying to advertise for the manufacturer.

Nope, no question about it. BMW made a good move, and KTM shot themselves in the foot.

did

No, Ewing wanted BMW all along, his argument being the bike has proven itself time and again on around the world adventures. Charley was the hold out for the KTM. Of course those bikes did not have the damn antenne ring on them......

did

No, Ewing wanted BMW all along, his argument being the bike has proven itself time and again on around the world adventures. Charley was the hold out for the KTM. Of course those bikes did not have the damn antenne ring on them......

It was Ewing decision in the end and he gave in to Charlie and they choose KTM. It goes into much more detail in the book. Charlie was the biker, Ewing road bikes. Charlie later tried to ride in Dakar, broke both wrists on a KTM.

In the end or the end of the beginning All things being equal they choose the KTM. (950)

Your talkin to a man with a broken leg that watched it 6 times while owning a GSA. Then read the book, then listened to the Audio version on the way to Alaska. Soon to watch the English version when Phil sends it.

Whip

Wow! At the rate you guys are posting about KTM's with so much enthusiasm and passion this web site might have to be renamed to:

www.KTMSportTouring.com

Of course the BMW crowd will always be welcome in the BMW Sub Forums.

Cheers!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

'bONe, here's my take:

If you want a bike that's big on performance and comes with a suspension for air time, then the KTM is your lady. Keep in mind that it WILL require more maintinence than a BMW- no doubt about it.

If you're looking for a long hauler that that you can ride in the dirt, then the BMW is where it's at.

Each bike has it's plusses and minusses- and even though they tend to be marketed toward the same sub-set of riders, they're completely different bikes.

Charlie and Ewen were set back more by the unbalievably over-sized load they were carrying than their bikes. Idealy they would have a BMW engine on a KTM frame/suspension, and therefore share the best of both worlds. Also, keep in mind that a for a good portion of their ride, ANY motorcycle would be a handful.

So...

If lust is the final decision, then no one here can help you. If reason is in the equation then figure out what it is you intend to be doing then buy that one.

BTW, knock over a KTM and a BMW at 40 MPH in the dirt then start buying parts. That's where the price comparison really begins. Not just in cost of parts, but in the number of parts that need replacing.

Good points, Tom. Also, when you watch the DVD, you see all the really tough stuff. What they really don't give you an appreciation of is the 10,000+ miles of realitivly normal dirt and paved roads they also travelled. These were much more suited for the BMW's.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Good points, Tom. Also, when you watch the DVD, you see all the really tough stuff. What they really don't give you an appreciation of is the 10,000+ miles of realitivly normal dirt and paved roads they also travelled. These were much more suited for the BMW's.

So true.

Hey Boney

"KTM is your lady. Keep in mind that it WILL require more maintinence than a BMW- no doubt about it."

Please explain.

It has not been my experience nor does the scheduled maintenance back up your statement????

Maybe I'm missing something??????????????

Valve adjustments are 12,000 miles and everything else seems the same.

Oil change will take longer.

Whip

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Hey Boney

"KTM is your lady. Keep in mind that it WILL require more maintinence than a BMW- no doubt about it."

Please explain.

It has not been my experience nor does the scheduled maintenance back up your statement????

Maybe I'm missing something??????????????

Valve adjustments are 12,000 miles and everything else seems the same.

Oil change will take longer.

Whip

Sorry, I had a nice long post all figured out but this forum timed out on me and I'm not in the mood to retype. a.gif

Maybe it's my riding in the dirt, and maybe I'm riding it more aggressively than I did the BMW, but I find that I'm servicing the 640ADV far more often than I ever did the 650GS, and sometimes even the KTM service intervals. I would think that the differences in the two smaller bikes would play out similarly to the big ones. But what do I know? wave.gif

Reread and watch again, Ewing never WANTED the KTM he gave into Charlie. In fact the book states quite an argument about it that was never shown in the show. I bet KTM is kicking theirselves for that brillant PR blunder.

As for maintenance, I only set the valves at 6000 miles for the first 12,000, then I go about 18,000 between tune ups, they just don't change that much. Put in good synthetic oil all around and you can go that much longer between.

Reread and watch again, Ewing never WANTED the KTM he gave into Charlie. In fact the book states quite an argument about it that was never shown in the show. I bet KTM is kicking theirselves for that brillant PR blunder.

As for maintenance, I only set the valves at 6000 miles for the first 12,000, then I go about 18,000 between tune ups, they just don't change that much. Put in good synthetic oil all around and you can go that much longer between.

I'm tired......you win!

He wanted the BMW, but choose the KTM.......I've been married a long time I know how that works.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Archived