IGNORED

$13 Zumo Mount

Tapatio

I picked up a Zumo 550 on Saturday and after reviewing all of the mounting options I decided that higher was better. The Migsel mount was the ideal solution but $129 and weeks of waiting was not my idea of a good time. I saw Deitrich's fabricated aluminum mount and decided to try and duplicate. Home Depot didn't have any aluminum plates but I spotted an interesting alternative in the building supplies aisle (Simpson Spring Tie OT?) It was the right size and powder-coated black, too good to be true.

After a little bending, cutting and drilling I ended up with this. Works great and the price was right! clap.gif

222951818-M.jpg

222950897-M.jpg

222949928-M.jpg

222980013-M.jpg

Very resourceful! It's amazing what one can do if it does not have to be machined, name branded and/or expensive. Good job!

Ride safely.

Dietrich

I got the Migsel one and I am very happy. Expensive yes, wait time 4 days. I was prepared for a few weeks and was really surprised when it showed up 4 days later.

the advantage is that it is adjustable with the RAM ball mount and it has spots for two more RAM balls for the Valentine and maybe even the Weather antenna... or other.

Great resourceful solution though, HD is a great store. Not to be confusesd with the other HD. grin.gif

h

Another forum user asked if your mount wobbles. I would like to know as well. I had a shelf mount that used the same screw locations and when I mounted my Zumo to the shelf it wobbled so much that I thought it would crack the plastic housing. Let us now if your mount allow Zumo wobble. Thanks confused.gif

MrR1200RT - It is very stable IMHO. The trick is to bend it so the center applies upward pressure while the screws apply downward pressure. This creates a good triangle of support. I also put some black tape on the bottom of the mount to protect the fairing from abrasion. It does vibrate a bit while idling, but the entire fairing vibrates so I think a Migsel would have the same problem.

jacksonwr - Yes, the stock screws are long enough.

It's not clear to me from the pics how you mounted the ball to the bar. Could you provide additional pictures/descriptions?

My Zumo should be here later in the week and I've been trying to figure out a good mount--IN MY LINE OF SITE--which IMHO is the only SAFE place to put it.

Feel free to send additional pics to me off list. Many thanks! smile.gif

If your mount only cost you $13+ you got a steal of a deal. These parts are special orders, at least here in the mid-Atlantic, and the one I'm getting, is $32 + tax! It's a bit different from the one you ordered in that it doesn't have the "fancy" cut-outs, it's just the plain one (http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/HLPC-HTPC_APG.html)

The T shaped one on the right side of the page. Fortunately I found a guy at my local HD who spent about 20 minutes finding the listing for the thing and writing up the order...of course I went in at 9:30 p.m., so I practically had the place to myself! thumbsup.gif

For future reference here's the HD part number that is on my receipt.

044315774300 OT <A> $11.98 + tax.

Their website also has a dealer locator that you can use to find a local alternative. Dealer Locator

You should have bought 10 of them. Then you could sell the rest to us at $20 per and make a nice profit while under cutting HD! cool.gif

Or...if you want to avoid drilling holes in your bike, only to find that it 'wobbles', or isn't where you really wanted it and now its too late since you have drilled holes in your bike...you could mount the Zumo using one of these:

226448301-S.jpg

And mount it here:

226448227-S.jpg

So it would look like this:

226451387-S.jpg

If you want one send me a pm...

Jim W.

if you want to avoid drilling holes in your bike,

For clarification I didn't drill any holes, just re-used the stock holes on the top of the fairing. I was considering buying one of your mounts but it is too low in my opinoin and not as safe as a line of sight mount.

Glad to hear you were able to use the stock holes in your installation! Careful planning on your part for sure.

I tried the 'higher' installation that you use but found it quite distracting since my eye was drawn to the screen whenever something moved or changed on it, whereas having it down out of my direct line of sight helped. Also there was an annoying amount of reflection in the 'higher' location.

And of course giving away my 'vintage' here...my bifocals required me to 'tip' my head back to bring the screen in focus when using the 'higher' mounting. Pain in the neck crazy.gif.

Jim W.

After a little bending, cutting and drilling I ended up with this. Works great and the price was right!

Speaking of bending, how did you manage it?

I just picked up my tie tonight at HD and so I'm wondering how you managed to bend this sucker, since it's really not meant to be bent! frown.gif

For any Zumo owner, worrying about spending a few dollars on a solid mount surprises me. I started with a Migsel mount for it's simplicity and found for the bumpy roads here in Michigan, it was not rigid enough as I felt uncomfortable watching the Zumo bouncing up and down. After much thought, again looking for ease of installation and having a mount that looks professional, I chose the BMR Co-Pilot Shelf. I love the mount for it's rigidity, the location of the Zumo and it looks. It also allows for adding additional electonic gadgets. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy holidays and ride safe!

965415-BMR2.jpg.3b741e32746a042f2f2bf7e2e9771c9a.jpg

to HEAR the audio on a ZUMO, it must be in the MOUNT. There arent any mini plug jacks on it, or other audio outs.

frown.gif

So you can't just toss it in the bag like you said, but I routinely use only the audio voice prompt and dont look at the screen while im riding.

Obviously my Zumo is in the mount.

to HEAR the audio on a ZUMO, it must be in the MOUNT. There arent any mini plug jacks on it, or other audio outs.

Not to pick nits, but it's the cradle (not the mount) that provides the audio out. You don't have to mount the cradle. Not that I think that I would ever do it, but there's no technical reason why the original poster couldn't have the Zumo in the cradle thrown in his tank bag to use the audio outs.

Why put it in the bag if you can easily mount it for $13? dopeslap.gif

I know myself pretty well, and I can imagine getting fixated on the screen while I'm zipping down a road and finding myself wrapped around a tree. I like your mounting solution. Best I've seen. Doesn't block the speedo. But there it would be, right in front of my vision constantly competing for my attention. I'm not sure I trust myself with it right in front of my eyes.

Sorry, couldn't hep mysef blush.gif... I only make a few at a time when my lunch break alows and the CNC lathe isn't set up with a big job.

And only for folks on this board...mostly as a favor, since my 10.00 profit each, not counting my time, isn't adding up like my wife would like bncry.gif.

Jim

• 5 months later...
Blake_Welcher

Briliant! I followed your pictures and made one for me. It works perfectly and is just where I want it to be. Taking a 1K trip this weekend.

Thanks - Blake

• 1 year later...

Archived