IGNORED

BMW R1200RT tank bag

jdaniel2

I tried searching for past posts regarding the opinions on this bag but no luck. My question: what is the consensus around here as to the best tank bag for R1200RT?

JD

I have the RT bag by BMW. It works just fine for me. I know that there are many choices but the big deciding factor was the way it mounts onto the tank bag rail. It is so easy to take on and off at gas stations or when I park and take it with me. It is big enough for me. Actually I would prefer a lower one as I do not need all that space.

I think most people pick other ones due to the price and the fact that it is not waterproof. I need to get rain cover for mine. I'm sure you will get many opinions.

Stay safe and happy riding.

I have the RT bag by BMW. It works just fine for me. I know that there are many choices but the big deciding factor was the way it mounts onto the tank bag rail. It is so easy to take on and off at gas stations or when I park and take it with me. It is big enough for me. Actually I would prefer a lower one as I do not need all that space.

I think most people pick other ones due to the price and the fact that it is not waterproof. I need to get rain cover for mine. I'm sure you will get many opinions.

Stay safe and happy riding.

I have the BMW tank bag as well and it works very well for me. No complaints at all. You have a rain cover, built into your BMW bag, it's on the inside with a drawstring.

Is there anyway we can get some pictures of how it looks on the bike? I'd like to see how it looks from a height perspective and overall size...

Thanks...

Gabe

I bought the BMW RT tank bag and became frustrated with it almost immediately. IMHO, it was poorly designed/constructed and not worth the $300. The issues I had with the bag were:

1. Two of the rubber bumpers came loose. The glue used appeared to be nothing more than craft glue. I removed the remaining ones and re-applied them using automovtive weather strip adehesive.

2. After about 3 months of use, the fabric handle frayed and was 3/4 disconnected on one side

3. Water pooled between outer shell and the inner water-proof liner when riding in the rain. Be prepared for the resulting puddle if you happen to bring the tank bag inside after a ride in the rain.

4. The way the tank bag lid opens, the zipper teeth can easily scratch the instrument cluster lense if you're not careful. I ended up using a waterproof tankbag cover.

The frustration finally got to me and I removed the bag from the mounting bracket and threw it in the garbage. Using pop rivets, I installed a Wolfman Denali tank bag (from when I owned an F650-GS) onto the original mounting bracket. The Denali bag is more useful design and of much better quality then the OEM bag.

James - thanks for the insight - just bought one and will keep my an eye on things.

Mine came with a 2 year mfg warranty - hoepfully i wont need to use it.

Luis

Is there anyway we can get some pictures of how it looks on the bike? I'd like to see how it looks from a height perspective and overall size...

Thanks...

Gabe

110801095_SHAWj-L.jpg

128065652_EmLA3-L.jpg

These aren't expanded, it will get about 2" taller when expanded. Haven't had the need to expand it yet.

I bought the BMW RT tank bag and became frustrated with it almost immediately. IMHO, it was poorly designed/constructed and not worth the $300. The issues I had with the bag were:

1. Two of the rubber bumpers came loose. The glue used appeared to be nothing more than craft glue. I removed the remaining ones and re-applied them using automovtive weather strip adehesive.

2. After about 3 months of use, the fabric handle frayed and was 3/4 disconnected on one side

3. Water pooled between outer shell and the inner water-proof liner when riding in the rain. Be prepared for the resulting puddle if you happen to bring the tank bag inside after a ride in the rain.

4. The way the tank bag lid opens, the zipper teeth can easily scratch the instrument cluster lense if you're not careful. I ended up using a waterproof tankbag cover.

The frustration finally got to me and I removed the bag from the mounting bracket and threw it in the garbage. Using pop rivets, I installed a Wolfman Denali tank bag (from when I owned an F650-GS) onto the original mounting bracket. The Denali bag is more useful design and of much better quality then the OEM bag.

I have to agree with James. The BMW bag came with my bike. The only plus I have to say for it is I like the rail mounting system. Easy on and Easy off the bike. Otherwise it's just a big bag!!

I actually loved the BMW tank bag on my old K1200RS. Easy to expand, three different zip off sections.

Not to hijack the topic, but where did someone find a rain cover that fits nicely? I'd rather have a rain cover than trust the internal one.. smile.gif

I agree with Tom, when it wears out, I'll remove the mounting plate and get a different bag. Or does anyone have a trashed one they'd like to sell me cheap??? smile.gif I need the mounting plate!!!!

Not to hijack the topic, but where did someone find a rain cover that fits nicely? I'd rather have a rain cover than trust the internal one..

Prior to tossing the original RT tank bag shell, I used the rain cover from my Wolfman Denali tank bag (Click on image).

Rain_Covers.jpg

Excellent Link.. Thanks! What size did you have? Do you recall?

Whoops.. edit.. - The Denali cover.. I should read more carefully before I post. Ack..

I've got the stock BMW bag on my R12RT. I liked it when I got it, and still do after 30,000+ miles. The easy on/off mounting is great. I've never had a problem with water getting in. It easily holds what I need it to.

AdventurePoser

I really like my BMW RT tank bag. Keeps water and dust out, is easily removeable, and is stylish as well. I have 22,000 miles on it and would buy another one if this bag every wears out, which it doesn't appear that it will anytime soon!

cheerio,

Steve in So Cal

I have the BMW bag and for the most part I like it. I agree that it's not, in my opinion, worth the price if you just look at the quality. In the end I went with the bag because of the slick mounting system. I too could see pitching the bag at some point and mounting a different one on the mount. The BMW bag is not very inovative when it comes to storage spaces, just a big bag as someone else pointed out. Just putting a little zipper pouch to put change in would have been at least something .

Fightingpiper

I got the BMW bag also because of the mounting mechanism. It's the first tank bag I have ever had so I have nothing to compare it to but am happy with it. I did mount a powerlet plug on it yesterday so I would have an electrified bag for charging various things.

Ditto on the great mounting system. Basically, it is one big sack, no pockets or organizers. I use mine to carry my dress shoes to work along with some papers, so the big sack concept works well for that. If and when it wears out I will fit a different bag on the mounting hardware.

It holds a lot and couldn't be easier to mount/remove. Can't see my Nav II with bag mounted. There is, however, a warning posted somewhere (label or in BMW literature) about GPS use and tank bag.

Contrary to some of the other posts I really like almost everything about my BMW bag and I've had plenty of different tankbags on different bikes over the years. After one 8000mi season it has proven to be durable although I am careful not to tear the map pouch which to me looks like it could be a problem. I love not having to use a separate rain cover esp since you can see your map (which is difficult through most rain covers). Other things I like:

- instant on and off is fabulous

- nothing extra needed to mount on your bike (straps, etc)

- tall and wide map case so you don't have to roll you map as often.

- easy to access since the opening is also wide.

- very secure when riding and doesnt' interfere ever w/ bars.

- looks good, matches bike style

About the only thing I would like changed is maybe an additional compartment or divider inside for smaller items.

That's probably my biggest beef with the bag. I like the mounting bracket tremendously. But the "One big bag" thing is annoying. A couple of pockets on the outside would be great even.

I ran across this (not sure where). This "Mark" made a homemade bag divider.

http://www.kc6tew.com/modifications/rtmods/bigmak/bigmak.html

I don't know if this "Mark" is on this board or not. I'm thinking of trying the same thing with the BMW bag.

Archived