IGNORED

New bulletin out (Spark Knock)

dslbrnr

Also today for grins i checked my range at 1/2 tank and it stated 198. Which if taken as gospel gives me 400 miles per tank - which is great, unfortunately I am avergaing 44-45 mpg. At a full 7.1 gallons that is 319.5.

Whatever - when it gets low I will fill it. lurker.gif

I thought the gauge, when at 0, still means you have approx .5 gallons (reserve) remaining. There are 6 increments on the display, so if it rad 1/2 tank, you could have as much as 4.34 actualy gallons remaining . So 198 miles will be about right for 45mpg.

Using that logic, mine also was fairly accurate after the update and replacing the fuel strip.

I thought the gauge, when at 0, still means you have approx .5 gallons (reserve) remaining. There are 6 increments on the display, so if it rad 1/2 tank, you could have as much as 4.34 actualy gallons remaining . So 198 miles will be about right for 45mpg.

Using that logic, mine also was fairly accurate after the update and replacing the fuel strip.

I did not know that - based on your statement i agree (no fuel strip replacement though).

How far up does your gauge after filling up -mine goes to about 1/4" from the bottom of the icon

All my bars light up. You have to make and extra effort ot get all the fuel in. Some pople remove the little rubber stoppe thingy to make it easier. You have to fill it all the way up to where fuel is starting to go above the bottom of the brass stamping on the fuel filler inlet. If you stop where the pump clicks off, you'll fill at least 1 gallon short.

It's a little like filling up a bike with a small tank like a 250 dual sport. You have ot throttle the gas pump lever to the slowest it will pump to get that last 1/4 gallong in. Some pumps are easy ot control, others aren't. You get gas splashing all over the tank if you get a crappy pump.

I haven't decided if it's better to remove the rubber thing in the fill neck or if it serves some kind of purpose. It doesn;t seem to.

I fill mine up on the center stand and put gas in it until is it just at bottom of the rubber, meaning i can see gas moving around right at the bottom opening.

I am assuming that is full?

I fill mine up on the center stand and put gas in it until is it just at bottom of the rubber, meaning i can see gas moving around right at the bottom opening.

I am assuming that is full?

Not necessarily. I've been able to keep squirting a fair amount of fuel in there even after I can see the gas moving around. Sometimes it seems like it goes on forever.

My experience is the same. Even when you think it is full, there is quite a bit of room left. I had the software update done yesterday and now my fuel indicator will only show 1/2 full. <sigh>..this is getting tedious.

How far do you fill up to then?

Till the fuel is just up the filler neck, but it's a process of squirt in some fuel, let it drain back down into the tank, and repeat -- numerous times. It's the equivalent of the Energizer Bunny -- it just keeps going, and going, and going.

Take the petrol cap off the bike and drill 4 5mm holes in the neck and you will get 29+ litres in the tank. Just dont fill it up on hot days unless your going to ride it.

First of all I should apologize for the apparent hijack - unintentional wave.gif

Mark - I will try you suggestion on the next fill up

as for drilling holes as the suggestion, I will take a less radical route - but thanks.

How far do you fill up to then?

Till the fuel is just up the filler neck, but it's a process of squirt in some fuel, let it drain back down into the tank, and repeat -- numerous times. It's the equivalent of the Energizer Bunny -- it just keeps going, and going, and going.

OK because I apparently suffer from OCD i went out and tried it - kept filling it up and up and up.

So now the gauge still reads about a 1/4 from the bottom of the icon, but it says 281 to empty.

Thanks for the tips.

I thought the gauge, when at 0, still means you have approx .5 gallons (reserve) remaining. There are 6 increments on the display, so if it rad 1/2 tank, you could have as much as 4.34 actualy gallons remaining.

The amount left varies per bike (calibration can be unique). Not all bikes have the same fuel display. I don't know how many the R1200ST has but it's more than 6 segments and they are equal in size.

that there would be an extra 15 minutes needed for a download to fix a spark knock problem....

Expect to wait more than 15 minutes, I just had mine done over the weekend and all 3 computers need to be updated in the process and it can take a while depending on how things shake out with communications between the computers, mine was a little over half hour or so.

Did not have pinging before so I don't see any major difference - still waiting on the accuracy of the gas gauge - maybe something to do for the 6K

Cheers

Just had my 3 computers updated today and it took close to an hour. I waited 5 hours for the full 600 miles service! On the way in I clocked 42 mpg; on the way home 46 mpg smile.gif

bogthebasher

Well back from first service tonight and asked them to do the CIP 11.0 update... As reported by others the full update took a little over an hour. Now my fuel tank shows full now which is sure nice to see. When I get a chance to run her up I will report on the spark knock - but it will be a little while because I am taking a slightly cautious wear-in approach akin to this site's FAQ article. Thank-you for posting this bug fix because it made an annoying issue very easy to resolve.

thumbsup.gif

Had this update done to my 05 RT last week, although I never had any fuel guage issues I did have some pinging that was noticable in the heat of the summer. I have not heard any more pinging but it is still quite cool up here so we shall see what happens!

On the plus side the update has changed the way the ambient temp guage works! My temp guage has always been way off, first it read too high and then after the sender was relocated it read 10 deg F too cold! Now after the update it is acurate to my home weather station! It functions in a slightly different manner. When the ignition is turned on but the bike not started no temp reading is given, just ---. Once the bike is started then the temp reading appears. Took me a couple of days to notice the difference as I had given up on it as it was so inacurate!

Andy.

DualSporter Rich

Hi All, I'm new to the group, also new to being a BMW owner... just got a sweet 03 R1150 RT. I'm already hearing a pinging noise... especially below 5000 RPM in 6th gear, but even a bit in 5th gear. I tried different gas to no avail. confused.gifconfused.gifIs this common with my bike? Has anyone had any luck with software changes for my year?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!

Rich

Hi All, I'm new to the group, also new to being a BMW owner... just got a sweet 03 R1150 RT. I'm already hearing a pinging noise... especially below 5000 RPM in 6th gear, but even a bit in 5th gear. I tried different gas to no avail. confused.gifconfused.gifIs this common with my bike? Has anyone had any luck with software changes for my year?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks!

Rich

Rich,

This thread started out regarding R1200RT spark knock, then became a how to fill your gas tank thread, now 1150 pinging... At least were closer to the original again.

ha ha

I post earlier in the thread regarding my '07 RT spark knock under hard throttle. I mentioned that my '02 1150RT did it as well. If your knock is under hard throttle application it's the same as my 1150 was. I used to notice it only under hard throttle, specifically as when whapping it open to pass slower traffic on a country 2 lane road. Sounded like steel marbles rattling around in the combustion chamber trying to escape. Made me want to get out of the throttle fast.

My '02 was a dreadfull surger. After trying nearly everything, finally bailed and sold it. Never fixed the spark knock either. Ran Shell Ultra Premium (no corn-juice). Tried different spark plugs.

Never heard of any software upgrade, although there may have been.

The one thing I didn't try when screwing around with the surging was something called a Techlusion 259 (I think)

$2-300ish, supposed to allow for some altering of richness.

Used, as I recall , as a way to combat surging, may help otherwise as well. Many claimed to be very satisfied with results.

I know this doesn't help much.

Just FYI

DMilan

Don't know if this is related but after a 120 mile ride on my '07 RT yesterday, I pulled into the driveway and had a loud knock at idle, more like a backfire every couple of seconds. I did stop and get gas about 20 miles before home. Bad gas? There is 2300 miles on the clock.

Rich,

This thread started out regarding R1200RT spark knock, then became a how to fill your gas tank thread, now 1150 pinging... At least were closer to the original again.

ha ha

Appologies for the hijack on the gas filling but the suggestions worked - gas gauge reads full - back to knocking!! thumbsup.gif

DualSporter Rich

DMilan,

Thanks for the response. The hard throttle description you gave does sound like the same problem I'm having. It's almost futile to use 6th gear at any speed without hearing the pinging.

Sorry if I was off-topic on this thread... still learning to navigate around here... I do appreciate your help!

Best,

Rich

DualSporter Rich

Albert,

I am praying that there is a software fix for my newly-acquired R1150 RT. I am hearing a bothersome pinging on hard throttle, especially in 5th and 6th gear. Has anyone else experienced this in their 1150RT?

DualSporter Rich
You are referring to release 11.0. This release fixes several issues, among them is the pinging under acceleration. The pinging issue is not present in all R bikes.

-Improves the sensitivity of knock control

-Rectifies the "acceleration pinging"

Does this release apply to my old '03 R1150 RT? I hope the pinging I'm hearing is a minor problem and not a major one.

DMilan,

Thanks for the response. The hard throttle description you gave does sound like the same problem I'm having. It's almost futile to use 6th gear at any speed without hearing the pinging.

Sorry if I was off-topic on this thread... still learning to navigate around here... I do appreciate your help!

Best,

Rich

Just kidding... Threads almost always go astray.

Everyone has their own issues.

Re; my prior post and FYI. I think I saw a Techlusion 259(?) for sale over at InternetBMWRiders, classifieds, under , Oilheads... accessories. Don't know that it would address your knock issue.. You'd have to investigate.

Some have said that kind of knock can be caused by carbon build-up in the head.

My 1150RT really only knocked when goosing her pretty aggressively in 4th, 5th, and 6th. Otherwise I didn't have a knock issue. But then, I didn't beat on the bike.

Ha ... now that I think of it, some said the surging was my fault. Das es ein Geahrman machine.. meant only for der high speed Autobahn unt u r 2 blame...

There I go. An off topic mini rant.

lol

dMilan

DualSporter Rich
I think I saw a Techlusion 259(?) for sale over at InternetBMWRiders, classifieds, under , Oilheads... accessories. Don't know that it would address your knock issue.. You'd have to investigate.

I will check it out and see if that will work. Thanks again!

Called the dealer about getting my 07 RT updated. They said that my VIN number doesn't require it. I told the dealer I haven't had any issues with the fuel gage but I do notice some light pinging in at 6000 RPMs in 4th and 5th gear. He said sync may need adjusting.

For sale in pristine condition. No drive shaft problems, no spark knock, no extreme or unusual wear on tires, no computer issues and gets over 55 mpg on the road! This is a one of a kind, unique 06, BMW 1200 RT. There are no more like this!!!! $100,000 OBO. grin.gif

Bruce grin.gif

After riding for a few weeks. Off hand, I think my mileage is a little better and the pinging is not gone completely, but only happens above 6500RPM in 2nd and 3rd gears. When the bike accelerates slower in 4th or 5th, the ECU I think has a chance to catch-up. (this test was performed on a straight wide open road without cross roads and no on comming cars for at least 2 miles). It's more mild that before as well.

I do notice a little more poping when upshifting and deacceleration. My wife even hears it too (a testimate to how good the Cal Sci windscreen is)

Counterpoint - the increase in mileage and reduce pinging might also be a result of having the 6000 mile service done.

Archived