IGNORED

K vs. R

Perlova

Hey all of you K bike owners.

I have an R1100RT and I can't say that I am all that happy with it. This is my first BMW and I was hoping that it would be a lot smoother then it is.

I love the handling and the fit of the bike.

However, I can't imagine that I would be happy going any long distances on it. I get a lot of engine noise and vibration, but I'm told, that's just the characteristic of a boxer engine.

For those of you with K bikes (and maybe someone that previously owner an R) do you find the K's to be smoother and more comfortable? Would I be happier with a K1200GT?

I still love the riding style, form factor and look of a BMW touring machine, and don't want to switch to another manufacturer.

My wife hates the

'buzzyness" of my RT.

She loves her Old School GT for it's buttery smoothness.

The bricks were rubber mounted (or at lest the last ones) & in my experience get smoother the higher the RPM's

That said, 4.2-4.8k tends to cause the mirrors to vibrate.

I don't object to a bit of buzz as it ads RPM feed back via seat of the paints.

On her GT, many times I've found my self bouncing off the rev limiter or happen to glance down & find that I'm in 4th on the freeway dopeslap.gif

My KS is a bit buzzy but I'm Ok with it.

R1200 motors are now counter balanced and smoother.

I've not ridden one, but I talked to a non BMW rider that just got back from a test ride & he complained about vibration.

... or happen to glance down & find that I'm in 4th on the freeway dopeslap.gif

Glad I'm not the only one. Once I'd been on the freeway for about 5 min and was thinking that the bike felt smoother than usual, I looked down at the gages and I had been running in 4th all that time.

To the OP, You should go down to your dealer and try out the new GT and the new F800ST Both are very smooth bikes. I found the GT a bit touchy on the throttle.

My problem is that I don't have much to compare to. I need to get out on a K bike (or a newer R) and see what they feel like.

All I know is that my current riding experience is not optimal.

I typically ride 2 up with my wife and smooth cruising is the order of the day. When I'm on my own and can hit the curves a bit harder, the R11RT is very willing. If I only rode alone, I'd be fine with the R.

2 up, the K is smoother, but the RT is a bit nimbler.

Your size, pillion's size, will factor into wind management.

Location and seasons will too. More airflow in hot weather w/the GT.

The 1200's arre smooth, but it is still a twin vs. a 4.

My last Oilhead ran perfectly. Smooth. Wife loved touring on it.

Took her for a ride on the '03 GT and her first words were, "I didn't know your bike (Oilhead) vibrated so much" dopeslap.gif

She's happy w/the K, me too.

Best wishes.

I was told that the K is better for a bigger person. I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. Is it that much harder to handle over an R?

You're pretty much the "average" rider for design.

5'10" 180 pounds. (I think that's "normal" crazy.gif)

People bigger and smaller ride both.

Weight and wheelbase favor the RT for agility.

4 cyl favors GT for smoooth.

Both the R 1200 and the KGT are very nice and an improvement IMO over previous models.

(xcpt the original GT is better looking grin.gif)

I owned to K bikes; a K1100RS and a K1200RS. I just bought my first R bike (R1200RT) and admit it takes some getting used to. I love my R although K bikes offer smoother acceleration, less vibration, and overall more power. I also owned a Yamaha FJR1300 which was very fast and the engine sounded like an jet engine whirling. Drive the R for a while and the differences start to fade.

I don't have a boxer myself, I have a 1996 K1100LT, but I know many that do and my mechanic loves them. My understanding is that proper tuning on an R is much more important than a K. You may want to make sure the throttle bodies are in sync and the bike is in good tune as it has a profound effect on the way the bike feels if it's not. Just a thought.

pedro cerveza

I had an 04 RT when I bought my K bike. I thought I'd keep them both for different types of riding. The RT had more luggage capacity and better weather protection. After a few months I realized that the RT was starting to feel rejected. It hadn't been ridden in months. The K is THAT much smoother, faster and to me at least a lot easier to handle at low speeds.

I don't have a boxer myself, I have a 1996 K1100LT, but I know many that do and my mechanic loves them. My understanding is that proper tuning on an R is much more important than a K. You may want to make sure the throttle bodies are in sync and the bike is in good tune as it has a profound effect on the way the bike feels if it's not. Just a thought.

I have had the throttle bodies balanced about 1000 miles ago and it does idle nicely. My biggest complaint is usually when I ride with a passenger. Not sure if the extra weight contributes to the vibration. When riding alone, I am more happy with the performance. Since I will do 80% of my riding with a passenger (my wife) maybe a K1200 would be better suited. It's mostly steady speed riding, with no agressive turns, so handling is not as big of a deal.

JerryMather
Hey all of you K bike owners.

For those of you with K bikes (and maybe someone that previously owner an R) do you find the K's to be smoother and more comfortable? Would I be happier with a K1200GT?

Smoother- YES, more Comfortable - ? maybe, depending on if you fit the riding position. It is closer to your RT as compared to the KRS that's more aggressive.

Most people that have made the switch to the "Dark Side" fall in love with them and don't usually switch back to the boxers, unless they start looking at the GS to expand their motoring experience by doing a little off road stuff.

I had an 04 RT when I bought my K bike. I thought I'd keep them both for different types of riding. The RT had more luggage capacity and better weather protection. After a few months I realized that the RT was starting to feel rejected. It hadn't been ridden in months. The K is THAT much smoother, faster and to me at least a lot easier to handle at low speeds.

This pretty much fits me. I have a '02 RT that was my entre back into riding after a 17 year layoff. Other bikes have come and gone ('92 K1, '04 KRS, Ducati 907) but the RT is still there.

Even though I don't ride it as much I can't bear to part with it because for me it does so many things so well. I just bought a very low mileage '06 K1200s that will fulfill my need for speed but in my heart I know the RT would be my choice for a cross country trek.

Hmm...interesting. I was thinking of making the change to R bike from K (see discussion under gen topic). Now... I'm not so sure. ooo.gif

I owned a 96 K1100LT when I also had a R1100RT and a couple of R100's.

The K was my first after six R's and I loved the fit, easy to work on,and a blast to ride,nice looking and wonderful stock sound. And I think great power.

Broke my heart, sold it. To me,, in my opinion, great machine but unrideable above 75 degrees F. Just toooo much heat. All the engine partitions were in and reflective tape installed everywhere but no help.

BMW fixed the issue with the K12's with total enclosure.

I really like my R11 but,I miss that K engine, nothing like it at speed. ( K's shift smoother too.)

.02 cents

Steve

The following is my opinion and remember that opinions are like butt cracks eveyone has one.

I have had a 2000 RRT (43K miles) and currently have a 2003 KRS (51k miles). I am not sure I would go back to an "R". I find that the K is much smoother, takes less maintenance, does not have a tendency to surge.

My wife has a 2005RST and while it is a nice bike it still feels like an Rbike.

I am undecided between the new generations of K-bikes. Advantage they are lighter than my current bike and may be faster. But the new GT is ugly, has no style but has good bags and cruise control. I call it the mini LT. The S is nice looking, has style but no cruise control and the bags are just plain stupid and small. For those who think a throttle lock is the same as cruise have never ridden with cruise.

FWIW, I've had an R1200RT (sold) and have an '06 K1200R with Cee Bailey Sport Shield on it (only way the bike can be ridden without being blown off). My K bike is ridden only in the mountain twisties and, for me, it will clearly out-corner the R bike I had.

All bikes vibrate at some speed. I like both engine styles. Both have character but the K engine enough power to pull a train. Seems like every time I twist the throttle, it goes...like right now.... grin.gif

Archived