IGNORED

Russell Day Long Seat w/Pics

krussell

We did our ride in appointment for a new Russell seat this past Friday. I'm delighted. We showed up at 8am, ran through the various choices of material, stitching, etc., had our pictures and measurements taken, and then were sent off while the seat was built. At 11am we returned and did a test fit with the builder. All was well, they told us to return aorund 3pm for the finished product. It was done shortly after we returned. It as a great experience, we were anxious to try it out.

That afternoon we road about about 3 1/2 hours from Redding to the coast. About 1 1/2 hours in we came into a town and I asked my girlfriend if she need a break. She said no, she felt great. This was a first, usually about 90 minutes was enough. We did stop about 2 hours in, but it wasn't because of the seat. My girlfriend loved it, it created a pocket for her to sit in and was much more supportive. I was equally pleased.

The next day we woke up in Eureka CA with the intent of riding up the coast for 4 hours or so and calling it a day. We did that first 4 hours with a fuel stop and then broke at lunch for an hour. The weather for the next day was supposed to be windy and rain was likely. We were enjoying beautiful sunny weather and elected to ride the rest of the way home to Portland. We rolled in right about sunset.

Our total time in the saddle was just over eight hours, and the saddle lived up to the 'day long' brand. It's very comfortable. I highly recommend it.

The forward slide in the stock pillion saddle is gone, she loves it. Both saddles are wide and the weight is distributed across a much wider area. The back rest is very adjustable, both up and down and angle. The back rest slides out with ease making it easy to decide to take it or not.

rdl1.jpg

rdl2.jpg

rdl3.jpg

rdl4.jpg

rdl5.jpg

rdl6.jpg

rdl7.jpg

By far the best think I've done to the RT since I bought it.

Wow, looks great! Do you mind if I ask what the total price tag was? That's the only thing keeping me from going aftermarket.

Not trying to steal the thread, but can you pass me what mount you're using on your dash for your ZUMO? It looks perfect for a dash mount with little/no vibration.

Wow, looks great! Do you mind if I ask what the total price tag was? That's the only thing keeping me from going aftermarket.

The pricing varies a lot depending on what you have done. Mine was pretty loaded. You can have the rider seat done in vinyl for $460 on an RT.

My breakdown was:

Rebuild rider and passenger seat in full leather $700

Backrest $255

Heavy duty spring for my fat ass $45

Rain cover $45

Ride in installation fee $80

CA sales tax $75.77

Total cost of a new Russell Day Long setup $1200.77

Having a happy pillion and feeling great after eight hours in the saddle - PRICELESS!

Not trying to steal the thread, but can you pass me what mount you're using on your dash for your ZUMO? It looks perfect for a dash mount with little/no vibration.

I started a new thread w/pics

I was asked what my connection was with Russell Cycle Products given my last name of Russell. There isn't any, just a coincidence. When they were ringing up my seat I asked about the family discount and was told I didn't qualify. :-) Actually, the current owners bought the business from the Russell family in 2001 as I recall, so there is no Russell in Russell Cycle Products.

malcolmblalock

Bought a Russell from the forum late last year and can only ditto what he says about the seat. While mine hasn't been customized for me, it's great even though built for a taller guy. I can easily ride 4 hours non-stop and still am comfortable in my behind.

An excellent seat IMO. clap.gif

MarkEngland

+1 for me... smile.gif

The seat looks very nice. I'm not happy with my current custom seat and will have to look at a Russell.

bogthebasher

That's a nice looking job - very clean. Can you tell me if the seat is equivalent height to the stock seat? I currently am on the toe/ball of my feet now so really don't want it a lot higher.

Krussell,

Thanks for the great write-up & photos. I used to have a Russell Day Long on my '04 R1200C Montauk and I loved that seat. Also had a Corbin for whenever my Bride decided she wanted to go for a ride. For ME, I like the Russell better than the Corbin. The setup you bought looks fantastic! I'm still in the break-in phase on my RT so I haven't done any really SERIOUS seat shopping yet. (I did move my BeadRider leftover from the LT formerly known as mine to the RT) OBTW, Titan Silver sure is a pretty color! Cheers.

I currently am on the toe/ball of my feet now so really don't want it a lot higher.

I had mine done 2 weeks ago. The seat is higher. They had me put the seat in the low position saying that is how the seat is designed to be placed (makes no sense to me). I could not ride in the low seat position because of my knees and hips, so I raised it and everything was fine. Before the seat rebuild, I was on the ball of my feet at stops. After the rebuild I am tiptoeing, so just this morning I dropped off my riding boots to have my cobbler add 3/4". They will be ready on Friday and am riding up to Cambria so I will have a good idea of how effective that fix is. I will report back (if I can remember).

I currently am on the toe/ball of my feet now so really don't want it a lot higher.

I had mine done 2 weeks ago. The seat is higher. They had me put the seat in the low position saying that is how the seat is designed to be placed (makes no sense to me). I could not ride in the low seat position because of my knees and hips, so I raised it and everything was fine. Before the seat rebuild, I was on the ball of my feet at stops. After the rebuild I am tiptoeing, so just this morning I dropped off my riding boots to have my cobbler add 3/4". They will be ready on Friday and am riding up to Cambria so I will have a good idea of how effective that fix is. I will report back (if I can remember).

That's strange because the OP's seat is clearly in the high position in the photos above. It shows just how much material they add to the seats, especially the passenger seat. it normally is only about 1" higher than the rider seat, in the picture it's at least 3" higher now.

I would say the rider seat is higher, or at least makes it more difficult to get your feet on the floor. I could flat foot in the high position with no effort prior to the Russell, now I need to roll forward in the seat. No biggie for me, I'm already used to it, but could be a show stopper if you are already close.

My seat was built in the high position, I need the room for my long legs.

• 1 year later...
Paul In Australia

I sure wish these Russell guys would move to Australia, so I could do a ride in fitting>

Buying aftermarket seats from the US, is IMO a bit of a risk to get the right fit. Tried a Corbin on a mates bike but not totally happy with that.

Russell is obviously the GO for an RT. Will just have to keep dreaming I suppose.

regards

PCH

I sure wish these Russell guys would move to Australia, so I could do a ride in fitting>

Buying aftermarket seats from the US, is IMO a bit of a risk to get the right fit. Tried a Corbin on a mates bike but not totally happy with that.

Russell is obviously the GO for an RT. Will just have to keep dreaming I suppose.

regards

PCH

Paul......If you've been on their website you've seen how thorough they are in the fitting process....I'd assume that the vast majority of their customers are not ride ins...When Kathy rode in they took pics,etc. just like you do when ordering off site...

No affiliation, just have a happy wife riding on a Russell...

louisvillebob

For what it's worth:

I have an old, pre 2001 Russell for my old airhead RT, and I love it. Everyone who sits on it loves it. Very comfortable. No,I won't sell it.

regards

PCH

Paul......If you've been on their website you've seen how thorough they are in the fitting process....I'd assume that the vast majority of their customers are not ride ins...When Kathy rode in they took pics,etc. just like you do when ordering off site...

No affiliation, just have a happy wife riding on a Russell...

+1

They do far more mail ins than ride ins. I happen to be sitting in their lobby right now getting a seat for my HD. There are testimonials pasted all over the walls. I guess I'm a clear testimonial, love the Russell on my RT, looking forward to the Russell on my HD.

No affilliation either, even though my name is Russell. :-)

Paul, I wouldn't worry too much about a ride-in fitting. I've just completed the break in period on my new Russell and it is nothing less than phenomenal. Other than being a bit hot in almost 100 degree outside temps (not enough air circulation) it is just perfect. I don't even think about what I'm sitting on! Just send the photos they ask for, as I did, and you'll be pleased! For mine, I asked for black vinyl sides and black non-skid vinyl tops. They work!

I bought a used Russell Day Long seat for my 2004 RT and absolutely loved it. Not sure who it was originally built for, but it fit good enough for me. Just imagine if I had got one built specifically for me! Wow!

Man, I wouldn't worry a bit about a mail-in order with these folks. The Russell isn't the prettiest seat out there (IMHO) but its more comfortable than anything else around and I've tried a bunch of them.

Ron

Archived