IGNORED

Bungee Buddies or not?

BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker

If you have bungee buddies, what do you think of them?

I have them, know where I mount them, but am nervous to drill the holes.

It looks like they my pull up on the bags some when in use - anyone have positive or negative comments before I commit?

tomk99r11

I have 2 on each saddle bag. Put large diameter washers on the inside of the bag with a little silicone sealant on the buddie and on the washer. Never leaked in 5 yrs. As for any other problem, you don't need to put too much pull on any bungee cord to have them hold, although I have put some pretty good stretch on the cords without any apparent warpage of the case. I wouldn't worry about it.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I've got a couple on each bag. I tie all my "detail" stuff to them with a bungee net. It's a pretty big load, and I've not had any problems.

ShovelStrokeEd

I don't use bungees, period. Just don't trust 'em.

I do use Rok straps and Kathy's straps to fasten things to my bike outside of the bags.

My Honda has a couple of pretty strong tie points available that make this easy but, even on the BMW, passenger peg mounts, the luggage mounts (particularly the rack for the top box) all provide places to loop a strap.

I recant, Sock Monkey gets tied down with a bungee (no hooks).

I tried Bungee Buddies but didn't like them because they were too small for straps. ( I think actual bungees are unsafe. ) Now I use stainless steel deck loops sold online by a marine supply company. They have a 1 1/4 inch wide by 1/4 inch space which is perfect for my 1 inch straps. Also, hold them on with SS screws.

flyingreg

I have used bungee buddies for about four years now, they work fine, no issues noted with the bags. The eye is smallish and can be a pain for straps, hooks are OK. Marine eye deck bolts could be a good alternative.

Here is but one example, LINKY

Sailorlite

For actual straps, rather than bungee cords or hooks, marine suppliers sell "eye straps" of various sizes and materials, and hardware stores seem to call them "footman loops". They all have two fasteners, one at each end, which makes installing them more of a project than the Bungee Buddies with single fasteners.

I've bought a set or two but haven't installed them. Not really sure where to do so.

Have never seen them used.

So, I'm no help to this conversation....

beemerFROG

Have had them on the sides of my top case for a couple of years and NEVER a leak! Yes the hole is a little small, but some nylon strapping with quick disconects (Ace Hardware) loops through it and makes a world of difference.

Makes holding a case of beer a breeze! :grin:

Sidmariner

I have three on each side case and six on the top case. Mine are backed by very large fender washers, which help to distribute the stress.

They are fantastic accessories and accommodate a wide variety of lashing systems including rope, bungies or bungy nets. It's amazing what you can strap to your bike when you've got these tie-down points.

IMG_0165.jpg

I have three on each side case and six on the top case. Mine are backed by very large fender washers, which help to distribute the stress.

They are fantastic accessories and accommodate a wide variety of lashing systems including rope, bungies or bungy nets. It's amazing what you can strap to your bike when you've got these tie-down points.

IMG_0165.jpg

I like it! Any chance of some close ups. I'll use the shots to place mine.

I had some brought over by a friend and i use them with a cargo net.I mounted two on each side case( 1front 1 rear ).Excellent for carrying the tent and other stuff. :Cool:

ItsABeemur

I own a t-shrit printing comapny and attempt to ride my 1150rt every day to work. We deliver in the local area for free and I find myself riding across town at the end of the day with a large box of t-shrits strapped to the bungie buddies and wedged between the top case and my driver backrest. They have never failed!

Ditto on the BB's. If I have need for larger straps, I find that the hand holds on either side work well and are secure. I mounted mine on the side bags, at the front and rear inner corners.

John

I find that they are very useful. I currently have 8 mounted on my bike and bags.

Here you can see one on the front of the side bag, front of the rear case, one on the body work aft of the rear seat, and one on the bottom of the rear case. This is replicated on the other side.

standard.jpg

The latest ones I added were those at bottom of the rear case. I use this as an anchor point to hang / lock my helmet and or jacket. (Thanks, lawman, I modified your idea.)

standard.jpg

Bungee Buddies allow me to carry very large loads. You do need to be careful to purchase bungees that have hooks that will fit.

Speaking of bungees, there is a great variety now available,

Here is another type I just ran across. Looks like overkill, but I saw it in the Competition Accessories catalog. The add says "Put a swiveling tie-down ring wherever you need one, remove it when you don't need it. Leaves a low-profile mounting base when not in use. Ring is 1 1/8" in diameter. 11.95 Each. @ Competition Accessories here..

00832_1.jpg

Appears to be made by a company called Ancra. May be P/N 40340-27, with a couple parts added.

Here are some not too good pictures of the stainless steel deck straps used on my RT and R bikes. I have one BB on the R bike. The black dot under the straps on the RT (first picture) is where I had Bungee Buddies and removed them. The hole was plugged.

Tiedowns3.jpg

Tiedowns2.jpg

elkroeger

I have the "stainless steel strap loop" available here: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/metal.html

get some stainless screws, fender washers and some nylock nuts to attach them. I like the fact that there are two screws for each lash point, rather than one for the bungee buddy.

Whatever you put on there, make a point of doing a nice job and get them lined up square. Otherwise it'll look like crap. I won't buy your used bike with the wonky strap loops no matter how cheap it is. Also do not attach the loops to the lids, or you'll have to detach a bunch of stuff to get into your side bags.

Hello forum,

So how big of a hole do you need to drill when installing the bungee buddies? Does water get in to the bags once they are installed?

Thanks.

Jerry Johnston
Hello forum,

So how big of a hole do you need to drill when installing the bungee buddies? Does water get in to the bags once they are installed?

Thanks.

No larger than the bolt you screw into the buggee-buddy. If you use a rubber washer under the bb or sealant, you won't have any leaks.

• 4 years later...
Steve R1200RT

I would like to install 2 bungee buddys on each side of my 49L top case on my '07 R1200RT. Looking at the comments on this issue, I don't think it's advisable to disassemble the lid of the top case. (double-sided tape and all that).

To install yours on your top case, did you do NO disassembly, but simply drill through both inner and outer shell, then use fender washers that contact the inside of the interior shell? If so, how did you know where to avoid the metal clasps that are on the lid?

Thanks!

Steve

'07 R1200RT

I had to grind down one side of the fender washer to get a flat fit on one of my side cases. Sealed under to outside part with RTV; no leak.

-----

Peter Parts

+1 for nyloc nuts... DAMHIK

someday I'll have a "3D printer" and make incredible bits and pieces (instead of making duplicate fiberglass bag lids with plaster molds)

Ben

If you have bungee buddies, what do you think of them?

I have them, know where I mount them, but am nervous to drill the holes.

It looks like they my pull up on the bags some when in use - anyone have positive or negative comments before I commit?

BTDT

They were great. I put two on the top case of my RT and 2 each on the top of the side cases. That gave me plenty of options for securing items to the topcase and pillion seat. You can buy a flat plug at any hardware store to fill in the hole if you later take off the BBs.

I've got a bag of them ready for the next bike that needs them.

Jerry Johnston

I don't suppose I can edit something I posted in 2008 :) but I'll add to it. You can get bungie buddies at any wrecking yard from the roof rack on manty station wagons and RVs for $1 or less. I have 4 on my trunk with a cargo net and have used it to tie down my rain coat when not wearing it.

I had Bungee Buddies on my 2002 RT and didn't like them. I found it difficult to pass a 1" tie down strap through them. I ended up plugging the hole and mounting 1" stainless steel lashing loops from a boating supply. I also used stainless screws, nuts, and washers. If find them much more useful, but not as attractive.

Tiedowns3.jpg

moshe_levy

I had bungee buddies on the 2004 RT because installing them was a snap. If anyone's followed the thread on installation on the Hexhead bags you will see why some are hesitant. And besides, carrying a truly large load with bungees is not ideal - I tested a product for MCN called "Piggyback Straps" about 5 years ago - see http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnpiggyback.pdf - and they are a FAR preferrable alternative. There are similar products with other names though I have no experience with those. You can see the bungee buddies in the pics of that article, but after trying straps the bungees got little to no use.

-MKL

I tested a product for MCN called "Piggyback Straps" about 5 years ago - see http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnpiggyback.pdf - and they are a FAR preferrable alternative. There are similar products with other names though I have no experience with those.
Stopped using bungies myself when I got some Rok Straps (lots of folks carry them including Amazon )at the BMW MOA Nationals. They work 100% better and zero chance of having one snap back and bite you with a wayward hook when you're stretching over a load.

Archived